Confused about San Juan...

danixbanani

Hey all,

I'm stopping in San Juan on the Crown Princess in the middle/end of July and I'm kind of confused on what I want to do there. I don't think we dock in Old San Juan and I booked a shore excursion to the El Yunque rainforest. The shore excursion is 4 1/2 hours and it's a ride on an air conditioned vehicle through the forest with a few stops to take pictures and then a flea market stop at the end. I've been reading around on this board and alot of people seem to think the trip to the rain forest was boring. Princess isn't offering very many "exciting" shore excursions and I was debating just doing something when I get off the boat by myself (well me and the bf that is lol). I'm just really confused on what to do :\ Any advice anyone?

thanks,

dani

Oh yes indeed you will dock in Old San Juan! It's a lovely place to visit. When I sailed on the Carribean Princess, we stopped there when the Cayes were wiped out from hurricanes. Everything is walkable with lovely shops, restaurants and bars. Or take the local FREE trolleys to get around. Wear your walking shoes! Go visit the Fort or go to the beach. Everything is very accessible and the locals very friendly.

And don't miss Senior Frog's!

El Yunque was beautiful! And a great way to see the island. Of course, if you have a bad bus driver, then I'm sure you might not have as good of time. And if you hate beautiful views of nature then you might be bored.

thanks for all the advice everyone! i think i'm still going to go on the el yunque excursion and then maybe walk around old san juan when I come back since i'm hearing the immigration process takes a terribly long time i'd rather stay off the boat for a while :)

You are someone who doesn't let negative reviews keep you from trying new

experiences. Good for you!! The rainforest is almost a sacred place to

residents of San Juan. When the island was hit hard by Hugo several years

ago, the rainforest took the brunt of the storm and saved the city from even

worse destruction. It was closed for a time, but came back in all its wonder.

Your tour will most likely stop at the interpretive center where there is a

lot of information and some interactive displays. Old San Juan is a treasure

and you should have time to check out the things that interest you. Have fun!:cool: :D

Oaktree - From your posts you seem very knowledgable, so maybe you can help me. We had the rainforest tour booked a couple of years ago on The Legend but it was cancelled because we outmanuvered a storm and arrived at the port much later. We'll be there again on the Crown Princess. Should we take the ship's tour of the rain forest or find a local tour operator? If local do you have any suggestions? We've had great experiences with many of the experiences that we've taken on our own and have avoided the big groups from the ship tours. Any suggestions?

Hi Philly, I'm flattered you think I'm knowledgeable! I try to be positive and

share when I can. Our first trip there was on a tour, before the roads were

inproved, so in that case a tour was good. Some years later, we were brave

enough to rent a car and do it on our own. My last trip was with my daughter,

son in law and two teen grand daughters, also by car. If you have time, I

would say do it on your own. Traffic can be heavy on that highway, you go

through town after town and lots of traffic signals. I'm not up-to-date on

tour companies, so you might post a question to those who have been

recently, for pro and cons. The tourism company has a website

http://www.gotopuertorico.com and they have a list of Nature/Adventure tour

companies. Sorry I can't give you more help. Enjoy your trip!:cool:

Oaktree, Glad you found my review helpful. I had lots of questions before my visit and wanted to share my experiences with you all. El Yunque was worth the trip. My husband and son climbed La Coca Falls and I got lots of neat pictures. They are posted on Web shots. The link is on my Review of Adventure of the Seas on the Royal Web site, but I can put it here if anyone is interested in my San Juan pictures. A vacation is what you make of it. I find fun almost any where, and like experiencing the culture of all different places. Enjoy. Laura

I have read several reviews of the rainforest and other places which are so

misleading to those seeking information. You are so positive and clear about

your experiences, I just wanted Fillie to read it. I hope she sees this or a

message I left for her on another board. Thank you!

Archived