Water/Soda availability in Whittier

HRM

Is there anyplace near the cruise ship dock in Whittier to stock up on bottled water and soda? I know Anchorage is full of possibilities, but we pre-paid for a transfer excursion to Whittier and will not have time to shop in Anchorage beforehand. We're leaving Saturday, so I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks, in advance!

HRM

We left from Whittier last year on Island Princess. Whittier is a VERY small fishing village, but it does have a few little shops, and I am sure that you could find something. No major supermarket or anything.

Whittier is gorgeous by the way!

We were on the Island Princess in May. After we checked in on the ship we left and went to a small grocery store and stocked up on soda, laundry soap (small packets sold for 90 or 95 cents), and water. The store is over near a little motel I believe. If you ask in town, they can direct you. Easy walk from the ship. Not super cheap, but not that bad either.

Thank you! I've read over and over about how small Whittier is so we weren't sure. I was hoping that there would be a convenience store or something similar adjacent to the pier because we don't arrive until 6pm for a 9pm sailaway. One follow-up question: Can you drop off your bags at the cruise terminal and go to the store without first boarding the ship?

Thanks again,

HRM

HRM: Whittier is so small, you could throw a stone across Prince William Sound and hear it land on the other side. ..... LOL! Not really, but it is very, very tiny town. Most of the folks either take the long drive into Anchorage or Girdwood for provisions. The little store mentioned is really about the only thing there. Plenty of time to check in, board and then disembark for water and soda. It may take you 30 minutes, top, to get your stuff and return to the ship. Have a great time on your cruise.

Thank you! I've read over and over about how small Whittier is so we weren't sure. I was hoping that there would be a convenience store or something similar adjacent to the pier because we don't arrive until 6pm for a 9pm sailaway. One follow-up question: Can you drop off your bags at the cruise terminal and go to the store without first boarding the ship?

Thanks again,

HRM

Not sure about that. Because we took the Alaska Railroad to Whittier from Anchorage (independent of Princess) we never dealt with bags at the terminal. We handed them to the people at the train station in Anchorage and we never saw them again until they arrived in our cabin. Perhaps some one else can answer that question for you.

*****Possible red flag---since you don't arrive until 6 PM, I am not sure the store will still be open. We arrived at 12:30 PM so naturally the store was open. I wish I could be of more help.

Where are you getting picked up for your transfer? Princess will probably take your luggage from the pick up spot. There is a luggage drop off spot in Whittier, it is in the cruise terminal parking lot. There's a small store in the middle of town. It is open late, so no problem there.

ARRTrain,

Thanks for the info about the store being open late. We thought we might have to hold out until we got to Skagway, our first port.

Not sure, but I think we'll be stuck with our bags. We're using an independent group, Alaskan Leopard, that picks us up from the Millenium hotel which is next to the airport. It's a 3.5 hr sightseeing transfer AK-Whittier. It was the same price as the Princess transfer, but sounded more fun since we only had a few hours to get from the plane to the ship and wanted to squeeze in some sights along the way We'll see how it works out!! ;) I'll definitely report back!

-HRM

Archived