Back from the Spirit June 18th-24th

willzmom

With piles of sorted laundry at my feet I am thinking about last week on the the Spirit. It is tough to come back to reality.

My DH and DS (6 years old) and friends flew out of Nashville on Saturday (17th) morning and stayed that night with family in MA. Early the next morning we boarded a Limo coach for our trip into NY. Needless to say, the 29 of us had a ball on the trip into the city. We had a nice time catching up with each other. We arrived at the port at about a 11:45 and there was a large line and the chairs were already full, but it only took us about 30 minutes to go through the boarding process. Our cabin was ready so we put our carry on luggage in the cabin and we to explore the ship. It looked very clean, and was nicely decorated. We went to Raffles for lunch while the others in our group waited for their cabins to be ready. The food was very tasty, we enjoyed everything that we ate. The kids were ready to try out the pool.Life boat drill was interesting, please be ON TIME for life boat drill, the sooner you get started the sooner it's over! We all gathered at the back of the ship for the sailaway, and the kids were able to swim, and they loved passing the Statue of Liberty. I was a little out of it, I took a whole Bonine that morning and I could hardly keep my eyes open! We ate dinner at Windows that night, our table had good service from Pio, but the table behind us didn't get their order, and they kept bringing the wrong steak for another person. Our wonderful cousin (cruisinreunion) arranged for us to have a private cocktail party, so after that I went back to the cabin to unpack and go to bed. We had a balcony on deck 11, the room was small but I expected that. We had alot of luggage but we were able to find a place for everything. The bathroom is small, but we had plenty of storage in the shower and the little shelves on each side of the mirror. We were rocked to sleep and had sweet dreams about the rest of our trip.

*Packing tip: the tip about bringing a shoe organizer is a great one. I also brought a mesh shower organizer that I hung on the outside of the shower so all my toiletries were very handy. I brought a cheap travel alarm and a night light for the bathroom (it was very small and the indiglo kind that fit right on the plug by the hair dryer.

Day 2:

Day at sea-My DS and I had breakfast at Raffles. My DH gets up EARLY, even on vacation so he went to Windows and let us sleep in. We went to swim and relax a little by the kids pool. We took a break and went to the CC party at Henry's pub. Not many people showed, but the one's that did were so nice to meet-nomorebocci, tinker and paramattic along with cruisinreunion, and trashcandan. After our meeting we brought the kids back and had the fish and chips at Henry's pub. It was very good. We went back and forth from the pool to the kids pool area (dad's and mom's taking turns) and then it was time to get dressed for our formal picture (we had all 29 of us in the picture) and dinner at Windows. The lobster was okay, it was not Maine lobster, and the Asparagus quiche was good. I had the Crepes Suzette, and my husband got the Creme Brulee-they were delicious! We had 3 tables for our group and we didn't all get finished at the same time, but it was such a large party that's to be expected I guess, but it made us late for the show "Standing Room Only" in the Stardust Theatre. We all enjoyed it, even the kids. Then we went to catch the Neil Diamond show at the Galazy of the Stars. The kids went to Kids Crew for awhile then we took then to the New Years Eve party for about 30 minutes. They LOVED it. Then we were off to bed. Gotta rest up for Port Canaveral!

Thanks for the review I am leaving on the Spirit July 16th.

My first cruise along with my DH and two sons. I am looking

forward to it and I'm afraid that I will not want to come back.

I am looking forward to the rest of your review and any tips that

you may want to offer a first time cruier aboard the Spirit.

Tuesday-Port Canaveral, Fl

We arrived in Florida, and headed to Cocoa Beach. It was very hot so we rented a couple of chairs and an umbrella. My DH and DS went on a Kayak excursion. We came back early, and had lunch at Raffles. It was crowded even with a lot of people still off the ship. We spent the rest of the afternoon catching up with everyone around the pool, and the kids enjoying the kids pool. We had reservations for Shogun (it was one of the half price specialty resturants that night) and our friends dropped off our 6 son at kids crew. The meal was delicious, and we had great service from Diane. Remember to allow at least 2 1/2 -3 hours for the specialty resturants, depending on the size of your party. The banana pancakes and coconut ice cream were wonderful. We were tired from our full day so we went to bed pretty early.

Wednesday-Nassau

We did not have an excursion planned for Nassau, so we took our time getting off the ship and then we walked around the shops and took a carriage ride. Theree were two other ships in port when we got there so it was pretty crowded.I am a shopper usually, but I didn't find anything that impressed me so we got back to the ship fairly early. We are a nice quiet lunch at Windows, and were able to request a table by the large windows in the back. My husband enjoyed the cold blueberry soup. We had a relaxing day, we even got anafternoon nap. My son's favorite treat was to have cookies and milk delivered to our cabin in the afternoon. We had dinner at the Grden Room, once again we had good service and the food was good. It always amazed me that people on the boards say that the food is bad, they can't find anything that they like-there are always grilled fish and chicken available on the menu eaveryday! We went back to our cabins and changed to go to the private island. We got over there just as the sun was setting. On the way over we felt a few rain drops, and about 10 minutes after we got there the bottom fell out! Fortunately we were with the kids at the kids crew and we were under cover. Everyone crowded in and we waited for the rain to stop. Shortly after they announced that the tenders would start taking people back because there was more rain coming. We stood in line for about 15-20 minutes to catch the next tender back, the seas were pretty rough on the way back and then while we were waiting to get off the bottom of the tender the gangway pulled away from the Spirit! It was very scary-I just wanted to get my son off of that thing! We went to bed after our interesting end to the day.

Thursday-Great Stirrup Cay

We got up early and took the first tender over to the island. It was a beautiful day and we had no problem getting chairs. I would suggest if you get on the first two tenders to go to the left after getting off the tender. Most people seem to go to the right and it fills up fast. We got our snorkling equipment and hit the water. The water was beautiful and we all had a fun day. It just wasn't long enough. I would rather go there a full day than spend any time in Nassau. We took the tender back to the ship and spent some time at the pool. My DH and I had dinner at Le Bistro, it was very good. We got great service from Anna and the chocolate fondue pineapple boat is heavenly. It was a nice treat for us to go out childless! He went to kids crew and had a blast. We went to a comedy show starring Ed Alonzo-it was funny. We went to the Liar's Club show at Galaxy of the Stars and then my friend and I went out on our own when the husband's picked up the kids. We walked around for a while then we headed for bed-we're pretty old!

Friday-At Sea

It was a nice relaxing day at sea. We had breakfast in Windows and then went to the photo gallery to look at our photos from the week. We spent the day between the pool, kids pool and kids crew. At 2:00 was the choclate buffet, it was okay, I am usually a chocolate freak but it was just too much for me. We all had dinner at Windows 29 of us-2 tables and good service. We finished at about the same time. We put the kids in kids crew for the pajama party and went to the show at the Stardust and then watch a little of the Dr Trance show, and had to pick the kids up at 11 pm. Our group also made 3 of the dancing head videos-they are SO FUNNY! Then we ran off to get the rest of our packing done.

Saturday-New York

We had no trouble getting off the ship and getting our luggage was relatively painless. Our bus was waiting for us, we were off the ship and on the bus in less than 30 minutes. It was sad to leave the ship and our family, but we had a great time.

This was our first cruise, so we had nothing to compare this ship to. My only complaint is that there were many conflicting answers from crew and personnel and that the people working at the info desk, the photo gallery and in the dining rooms and buffet are not very friendly. They really need to work on customer service. Our cabins were clean, and we never had to ask more than once for anything. We had good service in the dining rooms-but no one went above and beyond. We give the highest marks for the kids crew staff-and tipped them because they do not receive any of the automatic gratuity. A vacation is what you make it. Go into it with the attitude that you are going to have a good time no matter what-and people will have to work extra hard to ruin it!

We're looking forward to booking our next cruise-we're hooked!

Nice review thanks for thanking the time to post.

You stated you got the first temder over to GSC in the morning. DO you remember what time you had to get the tender tickets and where?

I agree about the crew not always knowing the right answer to our questions. I find that cc gives us much better info!

Sounds like you had a nice first cruise. I'm cruising with a first timer this cruise and hoping he gets hooked too.

Hi Wilzmom!! Nice meeting you all too.

We loved the banana pancake with coconut icecream at the Shogun also. I am really missing my daily intake of bread pudding from Raffles too.

My daughter made me a CD including some of the Bob Marley songs played on the pool deck all week and I am trying to extend my vacation but it is not working!

Tinker

You don't need tickets.Just carry your personal Id and your cabin card.

Thanks no tender tickets that's great. So now what time was the first tender?

I got a certain location on GSC last May and I'm hoping to get the same spot this time.

Thanks

Enjoyed your review, thanks! Do you remember if Tuesday is still Caribbean night and if they had the 1/2 price in Le Bistro that night?

I don't remember if Tuesday is Caribbean night-sorry but looking back at my freestyle daily I do not see Le Bistro offered as half price that night. It was available Monday night as well as Shogun for the 5:30 and the 6:00 seating. Hope that helps!

Hi Wilzmom!! Nice meeting you all too.

We loved the banana pancake with coconut icecream at the Shogun also. I am really missing my daily intake of bread pudding from Raffles too.

My daughter made me a CD including some of the Bob Marley songs played on the pool deck all week and I am trying to extend my vacation but it is not working!

Tinker

I know, it's a bummer having to make your own bed and cook! Yuck! I'm having a tough time being on time for anything also. Gotta get out of the vacation state of mind and back to real life! ;)

Thanks no tender tickets that's great. So now what time was the first tender?

I got a certain location on GSC last May and I'm hoping to get the same spot this time.

Thanks

The first one leaves at 7:00 am. We got there about 7:15-7:20 and walked right on. We thought we'd better go on the early one since the last tender coming back is at 1:00!

:eek:

Tuesday-Port Canaveral, Fl

We arrived in Florida, and headed to Cocoa Beach. It was very hot so we rented a couple of chairs and an umbrella. My DH and DS went on a Kayak excursion. We came back early, and had lunch at Raffles. It was crowded even with a lot of people still off the ship. We spent the rest of the afternoon catching up with everyone around the pool, and the kids enjoying the kids pool. We had reservations for Shogun (it was one of the half price specialty resturants that night) and our friends dropped off our 6 son at kids crew. The meal was delicious, and we had great service from Diane. Remember to allow at least 2 1/2 -3 hours for the specialty resturants, depending on the size of your party. The banana pancakes and coconut ice cream were wonderful. We were tired from our full day so we went to bed pretty early.

Wednesday-Nassau

We did not have an excursion planned for Nassau, so we took our time getting off the ship and then we walked around the shops and took a carriage ride. Theree were two other ships in port when we got there so it was pretty crowded.I am a shopper usually, but I didn't find anything that impressed me so we got back to the ship fairly early. We are a nice quiet lunch at Windows, and were able to request a table by the large windows in the back. My husband enjoyed the cold blueberry soup. We had a relaxing day, we even got anafternoon nap. My son's favorite treat was to have cookies and milk delivered to our cabin in the afternoon. We had dinner at the Grden Room, once again we had good service and the food was good. It always amazed me that people on the boards say that the food is bad, they can't find anything that they like-there are always grilled fish and chicken available on the menu eaveryday! We went back to our cabins and changed to go to the private island. We got over there just as the sun was setting. On the way over we felt a few rain drops, and about 10 minutes after we got there the bottom fell out! Fortunately we were with the kids at the kids crew and we were under cover. Everyone crowded in and we waited for the rain to stop. Shortly after they announced that the tenders would start taking people back because there was more rain coming. We stood in line for about 15-20 minutes to catch the next tender back, the seas were pretty rough on the way back and then while we were waiting to get off the bottom of the tender the gangway pulled away from the Spirit! It was very scary-I just wanted to get my son off of that thing! We went to bed after our interesting end to the day.

Thursday-Great Stirrup Cay

We got up early and took the first tender over to the island. It was a beautiful day and we had no problem getting chairs. I would suggest if you get on the first two tenders to go to the left after getting off the tender. Most people seem to go to the right and it fills up fast. We got our snorkling equipment and hit the water. The water was beautiful and we all had a fun day. It just wasn't long enough. I would rather go there a full day than spend any time in Nassau. We took the tender back to the ship and spent some time at the pool. My DH and I had dinner at Le Bistro, it was very good. We got great service from Anna and the chocolate fondue pineapple boat is heavenly. It was a nice treat for us to go out childless! He went to kids crew and had a blast. We went to a comedy show starring Ed Alonzo-it was funny. We went to the Liar's Club show at Galaxy of the Stars and then my friend and I went out on our own when the husband's picked up the kids. We walked around for a while then we headed for bed-we're pretty old!

Friday-At Sea

It was a nice relaxing day at sea. We had breakfast in Windows and then went to the photo gallery to look at our photos from the week. We spent the day between the pool, kids pool and kids crew. At 2:00 was the choclate buffet, it was okay, I am usually a chocolate freak but it was just too much for me. We all had dinner at Windows 29 of us-2 tables and good service. We finished at about the same time. We put the kids in kids crew for the pajama party and went to the show at the Stardust and then watch a little of the Dr Trance show, and had to pick the kids up at 11 pm. Our group also made 3 of the dancing head videos-they are SO FUNNY! Then we ran off to get the rest of our packing done.

Saturday-New York

We had no trouble getting off the ship and getting our luggage was relatively painless. Our bus was waiting for us, we were off the ship and on the bus in less than 30 minutes. It was sad to leave the ship and our family, but we had a great time.

This was our first cruise, so we had nothing to compare this ship to. My only complaint is that there were many conflicting answers from crew and personnel and that the people working at the info desk, the photo gallery and in the dining rooms and buffet are not very friendly. They really need to work on customer service. Our cabins were clean, and we never had to ask more than once for anything. We had good service in the dining rooms-but no one went above and beyond. We give the highest marks for the kids crew staff-and tipped them because they do not receive any of the automatic gratuity. A vacation is what you make it. Go into it with the attitude that you are going to have a good time no matter what-and people will have to work extra hard to ruin it!

We're looking forward to booking our next cruise-we're hooked!

My Sister & I were on the same tender as you!!! That was a scary moment. :eek: Other than that I LOVED IT:D

hi everyone that was on the Spirit 6/18 thru 6/24. I wrote a review but it hasn't gotten on to the Member Review site yet.

Nice work Wilsmom and Tinker.

We really enjoyed the cruise. The food was fine. I also was so amazed that the boards I read before we went were full of bad comments. Not so. There was so much to choose from in Raffles. Tip: Their nut bread (right after the hot breakfast items) was fantastic.

We ate half price at Cagneys the first night. Also LeBistro half price. Tip: The key is make a reservation right away. Those specialty restaurants were both superb. The rest of the time we found Windows to be great. Tip: If you want to reserve a table at Windows you don't have to stand in line.

Best tip I can give you: Anything you want, just ask nicely and almost everything I asked for was given to us. (foam eggcrates for the beds, feather pillows, tables at the windows, birthday cake for my daughter, bars of soap in the bathrooms, extra sheets for the beds...etc. Smiles can get you a lot)

Tip: ask for a copy of your bill the day before. Gives you time to check it. I have been on a lot of cruises, and on 2 of them we were charged for drinks and phone calls we didn't make. They fixed it, but it took a lot of time, and you don't have time that last night or morning. So do it the day before)

The private island was our first. We enjoyed the calm water, the good food in the hut, and the free ice tea and cake in the other hut. Also the music and the limbo dancer.

Nassau: when we walked off the ship, one of the van drivers approached our group of 5 and offered an all day tour for Nassau, Paradise Island, and inside ATlantis. For only $20 per person. My kids/grandkids had never been to the Caribbean, so I took his offer. He was very nformative and funny, and it was well worth the money. Tip: You can bargain the price down. Do this instead of the ship tour.

Any other questions, just write. I'm quite experienced, and still love to go on cruises. Our house seemed so quiet after we got home. No music on the deck!

signed, nomorebocci

Thanks for the comments, nomorebocci.

This is the first I've read about half price for Cagney's. I have been researching ahead so I can plan my reservations for the 7/16 voyage, but have seen conflicting information on which nights offer half price for early dining, and which nights have which themes. If you can remember these details, would love to hear.

Many thanks:)!

Archived