Is it true: Can't go on RC after 24 weeks pregnant??

What is Royal Caribbean's policy on cruising while pregnant?

If pregnant guests have entered or will be entering their 27th week before or during the cruise, they will be unable to travel.

This is from the Royal Caribbean website.

Now I am scared b/c we are going on Freedom of the Seas 7/23 and I'll be just turning 23 weeks pregnant. Is this true? Am I going to have a problem?

I copied this off of the RCCL website. I think you should prepare to have this information sent to them, and with you, incase they stop you.

If pregnant guests have entered or will be entering their 27th week before or during the cruise, they will be unable to travel.

A physician's Fit to Travel note stating that they are in good health, not a high risk pregnancy, and not entering the 27th week is required.

Please fax the document to Special Needs at: 305-539-6666.

The Special Needs Department may be contacted at: 800-722-5472, ext. 34492 or by e-mail: specialneeds@rccl.com

I traveled well beyond 27 months. I brought a note from the doc stating I was fit for travel, but honestly no one ever looked twice at my belly. No issues whatsoever.

Rita

I traveled well beyond 27 months. I brought a note from the doc stating I was fit for travel, but honestly no one ever looked twice at my belly. No issues whatsoever.

Rita

LOL

Wow, you were pregnant for a long time. ;) :D

Rita

Wow I bet you were glad when the baby was finally born:D

My wife has cruised pregnant twice, both times in her twenty-something week. We actually finished up our Hawaii cruise on the 1st day of her 27th week, so technically we shouldn't have been able to go, but we figured, since we were going to be in Hawaii, if there was a problem, the medical facilities there would be ok.

Anyway, on both occasions my wife was visibly pregnant, and no one said anything. Really, who is going to mention it? The people at the port who take your tickets and give you your sail and sign cards just want to get you through quickly and off to your vacation, and after that, you're already on board.

My wife did have doctor's notes, just in case, but no one ever asked to see them.

The 27 week limit for cruising is in conjunction with the current medical advances for the survivability of pre-term infants. At 23 weeks you are under the limit imposed by RCCL but still need a doctors note clearing you to travel.

You better have trip insurance. That far along I would hate to have something happen and the ships doctor not be able to take care of you and you have to be flown somewhere.

Most travel insurance will not cover pregnacy. They don't even allow it as a pre-existing condition - since it is (technically) something you brought on yourself.

My daughter was in her 24th week when we went on a 12 night Northern Europe cruise on the Jewel last summer. She had the doctor's note and the insurance but never needed them. She was fine, she obviously got tired on a few of the excursions but after a nap felt fine. She certainly wasn't the only pregnant person on board and there were several newborns that I saw as well as at least four families with five kids, all fairly young. Everyone is different. Cruising while pregnant is probably a lot safer than cruising while intoxicated, which is how a lot of people cruise. Less chance of falling overboard anyway. LOL!

I'm not sure why anyone would want to go cruising when they are pregnant. For the first 20 or so weeks, you're likely to be nauseated and won't feel like eating any of the food. Then after 24 weeks once viability is reached, why would you want to risk your pregnancy? What if something were to happen such as preterm labor? The ship's doctor is most certainly not a qualified obstetrician, and the alternative would be to get admitted to some Caribbean island hospital (likely at your expense).

state the last trimester is a NO to traveling on them. Cruises lines, Airlines, Trains even amusement parks rides.

This is from the Royal Caribbean website.

Please fax the document to Special Needs at: 305-539-6666.

The Special Needs Department may be contacted at: 800-722-5472, ext. 34492 or by e-mail: specialneeds@rccl.com

Great people to deal with, expect answers to phone calls or email messages pretty quickly. They seem to have seen/heard it all before and are ready with answers.

Most travel insurance will not cover pregnacy. They don't even allow it as a pre-existing condition - since it is (technically) something you brought on yourself.

Oh, gosh no! That's not true!

We cruised as I was going into my 19th week. As we were comparing different insurance choices, we always specifically asked if the medical coverage included pregnancy related issues - and were always told "yes".

Anyways, I would advise travel insurance, just in case and, as well, consider having your OB write how many weeks you are along ON a perscription piece of paper. That way, not only will you have "proof" of how far you are, but you will have pertinant doctor info, at the top, should you need it.

I never faxed anything to special needs. I just carried the script with me. No one ever asked.

Happy Sailing!

state the last trimester is a NO to traveling on them. Cruises lines, Airlines, Trains even amusement parks rides.

Actually, always double check what the policy of individual transporter/carrier is.

I am going to Ca from Tx during my 32nd week. American Airlines policy is no flying 37 weeks or later without a doctors note stating you are fit for travel.

I had to double check to make sure I could fly.

Anyways, always ask.

While they may let you on the ship without checking, if you are travelling and there conditions say you shouldn't be, your insurance cover will probably be null and void.

I would agree with this statement IF you booked insurance through the cruiseline. However, if you book insurance with an outside carrier and they say you will be covered at the N weeks you are along, then you are covered.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to go cruising when they are pregnant. For the first 20 or so weeks, you're likely to be nauseated and won't feel like eating any of the food. Then after 24 weeks once viability is reached, why would you want to risk your pregnancy? What if something were to happen such as preterm labor? The ship's doctor is most certainly not a qualified obstetrician, and the alternative would be to get admitted to some Caribbean island hospital (likely at your expense).

LOL, Pregnancy is not a death sentance! It's not as risky as you make it sound! Why do we have to be confined to our homes for 9 months? Should we not drive either?

LOL, I'm yanking your chain but get pregnant and then we'll talk! :rolleyes:

9 months of restriction and not enjoying yourself is a LONG time!

Air Canada permits travel up to the 36th week. Northwest permits travel up to 30 days before due date.

Please make sure you have a doctor's note for travel. My next door neighbor was denied boarding on a PLANE in her thirtieth week. Reason was that she looked farther along in her pregnancy than she actually was. She did not have a note - a verbal from the doctor would not work. BTW- it was United airlines.

Good Luck!

Archived