Anchorage on a cruisetour

maggie mac

We are arriving in Anchorage around 5pm on 9/1 and leaving again in the morning on the train to Denali. There is no hotel listed in the brochure but I believe that HAL tours stay at the Anchorage Westmark. This appears to be in the central part of downtown. I have a few questions:

1) Eating: I've seen the Glacier Brewhouse recommended here and I think it is across the street from our hotel. If we wanted to eat there, would we have a problem considering it is a Friday night? Are there other places to eat if we can't get in there or if we want faster, quieter?

Also in the morning, is there somewhere to get some breakfast considering that the train leaves at 8am? Or is it expected that we will eat on the train?

2) Sights: If we decide to walk around the area, will things be open at that time? Are there things we should make an effort to see or do?

3) I found a few markets that appear to be within reasonable walking distance (Bus Stop Shop, Town Square Market, Lucky Food Center). Will any of these be open in the evening? And is this a good place/opportunity to stock up on snacks?

If it wasn't for this website, I wouldn't even know that I needed to worry about where to get food. We all assumed that it would be taken care of just like transportation, housing, etc. so thanks for all the information I've gained so far.

Margaret

We just came back from HAL Cruisetour 2. Our bus and 3 others stayed at the Anchorage Hilton and at least one bus was at the Westmark. We went to Starbucks for muffins and juice before the train, and the Hilton also had a restaurant. However, about 9 - 9:30 am, a full breakfast was served on the train. Our car had to eat in two shifts, since the dining area is smaller than the seating area, and the steward asked that those who had eaten already volunteer for the second seating. Lunch was also served on the train, but it came much later. I would be sure to eat something at breakfast on the train.

Thanks everyone for the information. Looks like the Hilton is in the same general area as the Westmark.

We'll probably end up just walking around the downtown area for a while and finding someplace for dinner along the way.

As far as breakfast goes, it sounds like a good time for BudgetQueen's bread and peanut butter to get us through until we're on the train. I would never have thought to bring food like that along. But there seems to be a lot of very early mornings like this on these tours.

Again thanks all.

Margaret

Archived