Muster drill

slukas

Saw this on Tips & Tricks thread:

51) Watch the time and go get your life vests about 10-15 minutes beforehand and carry it around. When the drill starts they turn off the elevators. Depending on what floor your cabin is on you could have a lot of stairs to climb.

We are traveling on FOTS soon - how do wheelchair passengers get to their muster station if the elevators aren't working?

Thanks in advance for any info,

slukas

Saw this on Tips & Tricks thread:

51) Watch the time and go get your life vests about 10-15 minutes beforehand and carry it around. When the drill starts they turn off the elevators. Depending on what floor your cabin is on you could have a lot of stairs to climb.

We are traveling on FOTS soon - how do wheelchair passengers get to their muster station if the elevators aren't working?

Thanks in advance for any info,

slukas

Hello,

We have traveled on Celebrity, HAL, and RCCL with our wheelchair and scooter. They never turned off the elevators. The crew members stand in front of the elevators and only allow the handicapped passengers to use them. They sent us to the lounge and my husband would stay in the lounge and I would go outside to the muster station so we would know where it was.

Hope this helps.

Judy

We have never seen the elevators turned off, but we always plan to go (via elevator) to our muster station at least 10 minutes prior to the announced muster time. Generally I get my mother there, then walk the stairs to go pick up our life jackets. This way we don't have to carry them around with us, as we usually have been touring the ship before this.

After the drill the elevators are packed, so we always just plan to stay on that deck for the next 15-30 minutes or so until the crush of ABs taking the elevators dies down. Depending on the deck for your muster station, you can have a drink, or just stroll around while waiting.

I'm also one that goes early and leaves late. But on my Celebrity cruise they had us stay near the doors and when they reached the question pt they told us to go to the elevators. We were the first on the elevators. Got to my room and dropped off the jacket then went and had a martini before dinner.

I'm also one that goes early and leaves late. But on my Celebrity cruise they had us stay near the doors and when they reached the question pt they told us to go to the elevators. We were the first on the elevators. Got to my room and dropped off the jacket then went and had a martini before dinner.

CaptData.....This is an excellent idea!!!! Will definitely leave early. It surely would avoid being trampled in the elevator rush.

Thanks for a great tip!

Judy

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have to go outside on the RCI cruises or is there a way you can stay inside, like near the door or something? My 83 year old who travels with us feinted last year during life boat drill she got so hot. I don't want her to have to do that again, yet enjoy traveling on RCI. Our next cruise is on Princess where all life boat drills are held inside.

Archived