Celebrity Marketing

BB5953

This is more or a question as I have only been an X consumer for a few years. To me it appears that X is starting to change its image. From what I have understood from people who have sailed X for many years it was a very refined, upper class (please don't flame me for that) sophisticated line - not that I think it still doesn't have many of those qualities but maybe not to the extent it might have had years ago. My theory for why this is: they are trying to compete with RCCL (yes I know they are owned by the same parent company), NCL, HAL and maybe even Carnival in wooing there clientele over to X instead of competing with the cruise lines that they were leaning more towards Crystal and Radisson. I think that is why they have made the captains club free, created many more dinning options rather then just traditional dinning, and most importantly lowered there prices to be in some cases the cheapest out of the mass market cruise lines. So my question is do you agree with me and if so when is it time to get into the new thinking i.e. the dress code will never be like it once was, the other passengers will not be as "refined" etc. The reason I write this is because I have read so many posts from people that seem to be long X patrons criticizing (maybe to strong of a word) new passengers for there way of thinking and character.

I think they are reaching more towards Crystal. The new marketing is still pointing to the upscale things. Both HAL and Princess have recently changed their marketing of their suite amenities to keep them more in line with Celebrity - (but neither can compare)!

I think you are right in that they are trying to reach cruisers that have sailed RCCl, NCL, etc to woo them over. It seems that the focus are the Baby Boomers - the money to spend, children grown, looking for an upscale experience.

Thanks for the reply - this was just an observation I have had and being that I have only sailed X I was just curious as to what others thought. You said that they were leaning more toward Crystal (I hope) would you like to see an increase in price to market toward that passenger?

I, too, think that they have Crystal in their sights. Several Crystal executives have been hired by Celebrity in the last 18 months and their influence is being seen in the so-called "re-branding" process. As for lower prices, that is about to change. Next year, for example, all category 1 veranda cabins on "M" class ships will become Concierge Class. As a result, over one-third of all staterooms on these large ships will be in this highest-priced, premium category.

We have chosen to stay with Celebrity even though we could afford to sail the luxury lines. We love the Royal Suites - for the same money on one of the luxury lines we would have a regular cabin (maybe with a balcony). For us the space and amenities makes Celebrity worth it.

If they raise the price of the RS a great deal, we might look at trying one of the luxury lines.

My thought was "in a nut shell" if X is the cheapest thing out there and/or very competitive with other mass market lines they will attract the customers from those lines (their intention of course) and that is fine however, the X customer that loved X 5 or so years ago might not be happy with the dress code and conduct of passengers. I agree that X is trying to market a sophisticated refined cruise but for me it is all about the passengers. And if I am sitting next to a foul mouthed loud obnoxious drunken passenger by the pool I don't care about the sorbet parade if you know what I mean...

I really don't remember what others thought about the change from the all blue on the outside of the ships. The first time I saw it, I was disappointed because I was comparing it to the all white ships. But then, I decided that it was a very stylish and classy appearance, something like the Cunnard ships. Then, when they added much more white to the appearance, it disappointed me. I just don't like it as much. Now, this is only my opinion but I'm wondering what other's think. Please don't ditz me, just let me know if you like it or not.

Anyone who has spent even a little time in the marketing LOB learns quickly that marketing is a very sophisticated form of that old black magic 'blue smoke and mirrors'. If you take things in that context, everything will be fine.

Archived