Hyatt Regency Embarcadero - San Francisco

DesrtDrmr

Is anyone familiar with this hotel? I have read reviews at TripAdvisor, and some are not so hot. I am interested in whether or not you can see the ships at the cruise piers or not. I know it is across from the Ferry Building. Also, are there restaurants or shops in the Ferry Building that are easily accessible to the hotel, just for poking around?

Thanks!

I stayed in this hotel about 20 years ago. It was my favorite hotel ever, but it was 20 years ago so I do not know how well it has aged. I remember getting a balcony room overlooking the water and thought it was great. If you do stay there, go for a balcony room.

Thanks so much.

I seem to have posted this question twice...............senior moments, I guess! I THINK we booked a balcony room.........will get out my reservation and check. (I KNOW we booked "parking included") :)

I hope you are not planning on leaving your car at the Hyatt during the duration of your cruise...that would get frighteningly expensive!!! If you are leaving out of Pier 35 I do not think you will be able to see the cruise ships. Actually no matter which pier you are leaving from I don't that you would be able to see the ships. The ferry building is basically pier 1 with the odd number piers going out from the left and even number piers going down the road to the right. So you are 17 long piers from number 35. But it is a very nice hotel. I have stayed there several times. If you like "old school" continental style restaurants go to the Tadich Grill for dinner. It is just wonderful.

I haven't stayed in the hotel, but the lobby is quite nice. The hotel is at the end of a cable car run, and across the street from the Ferry Building. A BART station is also right there, and all the busses that go up Market street. You might call the hotel and ask if any rooms face the part of the Bay where the cruise ships dock and if so, could you get one of those.

I often see the cruise ships when I'm down at the Ferry Building. The embarcadero is wide open, thanks to the dismantling of the Embarcadero Freeway after the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989. The Ferry Building has an upscale organic farmer's market (Prince Charles and Camilla visited it) and high end food gifts (olive oils, chocolates, honeys) that you could have sent home to your dogsitter. There are a couple of places to eat there, too.

The immediate neighborhood has numberous restaurants and with all the mass transit options, you can do pretty much anything you might imagine in San Francisco while staying here.

Thanks so much for all the information.

We will be leaving our car at the Ace Parking Garage near Pier 35, not at the Hyatt! We even booked a package at the hotel which includes parking. It costs more than the regular room, but less than the regular room plus parking!!! :)

It sounds like there is plenty of public transportation there, and some good browsing at the Ferry Building.

Thanks, too, for the tip about the Tadich Grill.

Archived