ID question

JuneauMe

Hi,

My friends just called me, and are in a panic. They leave on their cruise Sat. and just realised that they had not changed their drivers license to with the new address from their recent move. As is often the case they are having trouble getting through on the phone to anyone. They have pre-registered with the new address, so the information on the drivers license doesn't match that. Anyone have any idea of just how much of a problem this is going to cause?

Thanks for any info or suggestions.

Donna

I don't think they will have a problem at all. The only requirements are proof of citizenship and proof of identity. The DL, which is used for proof of identity, is not used to cross-check home address.

As an aside, the online pre-registration form has a glitch in it. I usually travel with my friend Linda, who doesn't live with me. When I fill out the forms online, the two forms always show up with the same address even though we have two different addresses. It always shows the address that I entered last. At check-in, I pointed this discrepancy out to the check-in clerk, and she said it didn't make any difference whatsoever.

I haven't had anyone who was checking me in be concerned about an address. As long as your friends have proof of identity and proof of citizenship, I wouldn't worry. The passport or the combination of certified copy of birth certificate & drivers license is the vital issue.

I take it the drivers license office is not convenient or that they can not make the changes in enough time? I take it they do not have passports? These things would make it easier, or more clear cut, but again, I don't think they will have a problem with just an address discrepancy, as long as everything else is in order.

If they are really concerned, I'm sure they could go to the RMV and get temporary licenses with the new address. I don't know where they're from, but some states just put a sticker on the back of your license with the new address. They should look into it.

Passports do not even have an address - which translates to address is not important.

We often register using our business address which of couse does not match the DL - which translates to address not important.

This assumes the two addresses on in the same country of course.

When we sailed on the Star a few weeks ago, I had my nephew registered at our address. I have no idea what address he has on his driver's license as he has moved around a bit lately. He used his driver's license and birth certificate for ID and had no problems checking in.

Hi,

My friends just called me, and are in a panic. They leave on their cruise Sat. and just realised that they had not changed their drivers license to with the new address from their recent move. As is often the case they are having trouble getting through on the phone to anyone. They have pre-registered with the new address, so the information on the drivers license doesn't match that. Anyone have any idea of just how much of a problem this is going to cause?

Thanks for any info or suggestions.

Donna

:confused: think that they would be fine as it's more of a proof of Indentity more than anything else.....the more ID they have the better just in case.....

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help. I told my friends things should be ok.

To answer one of the questions posed...

They couldn't go to DMV, because in NYC you have to surrender your licence with photo, and would be issued a temp with new address but no photo, and then 4 weeks for the new one with photo to come.

Thanks again everyone

Donna

Archived