greetings from alaska!!

alaskangirl

We loved your city just came back off the Princess Dawn ship.

Wish I were back there now.

Thks for posting, I am sure someone will ask some questions. Just wanted to say how Beautiful it is there.

Karen

We are thinking of taking the Duck Tour. We don't have much time in Ketchikan and it seemed like an easy way to do a quick tour. Then when it is over we could walk around the town. Any thoughts?

My husband and I just returned from Alaska (Regent..Mariner of the sea)

We chose the Lumberjack show.. I believe it was $30.00 per person.

Lots of fun and gave us plenty of time to shop (LOTS of shopping in this port)

My husband and I were just in the lovely town you call home!

We certainly enjoyed it but we had no idea of the abundance of shopping...needless to say I was overwhelmed with the choices!

any way you could get me a couple of e-mail addresses for the shops with the beautiful blue diamond items..?? :o

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Lisa

alaska girl

we will be in your city aug 3 1 pm -8pm i think

we were there 3 years ago and just walked around and loved it

we are also thinking of doing the duck tour

the other couple with us has never been so we want to do the highlites

but would love your ideas of what to do

i was thinking of doing the zipline but think i am chickening out

i was recomended this board by a friend. i live in ketchikan and would love to help with anything or any question you have!!

Thanks for the offer. I have just 2 quick questions.

(1) We'll be in Ketchikan on a Monday and have read that the Burger Queen is closed that day - true?

(2) We'd like to mail a few things home (to cut down on baggage weight) and this is the last port on our cruise. Is there any kind of Pack-n-Mail facility or does the post office normally carry large boxes/tape/etc. (our post office normally has only the smaller boxes in stock).

We can't wait to visit your lovely town and do a little fishing!!!!

I'll take you up on your hospitality (as it appears many others have done).

We will be in Ketchikan on Sunday, Sept. 3 from 8:00am to 6:00pm.

I would like to arrange a steam/wading type fishing trip for my parents (fairly healthy 80 year olds). They did this type of fishing a few years ago on a different cruise and loved it. This ship seems to only be offering salt water - from a boat type fishing. ( they fish from a boat almost every weekend off the Louisiana coast - so this is just something different and fun. They are mush more comfortable with rod and reel fishing, but would try fly fishing again if that is needed. They would prefer not having to fly somewhere.

Do any of you know of any tour/ guide I could contact for such a trip? Is Ketchikan a good location to try such a trip? Our other ports of call are: Wrangell, Juneau, Sitka, and Skagway. I would appreciate any websites, email addresses or phone numbers.

Thank you for your help,

Jean Wilcox

Kilini-- Could you give me some information on the blue diamonds you mentioned? What shades of blue? Quality? Price ranges? That is the one gemstone I long for.... I didn't realize they were readily available at shops in Alaska. Thank you! You made my eyes light up with that post :)

Just wanted to add my view on tours. I was in Ketchikan June 5th, and did the Mountain Point snorkeling tour.........I was getting hesitant with the air temp and the water temp matching at a cool 54 degrees. Boy, was a guy I work with right........the wet suit (after the first few seconds) warms the water up and it was one of the most amazing things I have done. I love to watch peoples faces when I say that I snorkeled in Alaska. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Beautiful colored star fish, sea urchins and cucumbers. Cool jellyfish. I have some cool pictures (disposeable underwater camera). Wonderful tour guides.

:rolleyes: Joy2the world

Be prepared! I have never seen so many choices! Prices are varing depending on the size and style..etc. I am looking for a pave' setting...They are smaller, I know....but very unique!

prices are (if I remember correctly) are from mid hundreds up.

It all just depends on size . I did not even have the heart to price the bigger carat stones!:(

there are also alot of topaz and tanzanite..but, alas...my heart belongs with the blue diamond!!

also, I hope you know not to take the first price!!!!!That makes a big difference!

hope i helped!

Thank you!! I've already warned my husband that Ketchikan could be VERY bad for him :) Thankfully it is our last port. Can you just tell me one other thing- are the diamonds darker blue or light? I would desperately love a lighter blue solitaire. okay, maybe one more thing... did they tell you if they are natural or treated? I know a lot of blue diamonds from what I read are treated.

;) Joy2the world

The stones are almost like a london blue topaz(which they also have)

In some of the stores (the nicer..but more expensive)the colors have even more range (some pink...LOTS of yellow) But as far as being treated, you just have to ask. I believe the smaller stones (like in the pave' setting) they are natural...but when you get into bigger carat weight they are treated Anatural blue diamond is 20 times the price of a regular stone...so if you find one you really love and it happens to be treated but it is in your price range GO FOR IT !!!!! I wish I did! I am hoping you will go with your heart on this one!

When are you guys going? Let me know your ports and maybe I can help you with more shopping. I always look for bargains!

There are these alaskan bear claws everyone has on sale. I bought a set for my mom..they are used for tossing salads, but my mom used them for pasta and she really loved them. They have little magazines when you get off the ship and they have coupons so you can get the claws for as little as $1.00!!! I wish i would have gotten some more of them also!

Lisa

Alaska is such a beautiful part of America, I know, but until you actually see it for yourself ..........WOW!

Please be warned that the weather really does change VERY quickly!

We were told to dress in layers, but I did from warm to warmer and the temp. actually got up in the mid-80's. I bought alot of "t" shirts while there. Also, alot of women wore capri's (which I did not pack) But if you are doing any of the glacier or dog sledding tours you can get alittle chilly.

We also got lucky with only having one day of drizzle and that was our first day and we were only at sea, so it really didnt matter.

I saw that joy2theworld is also going to skagway, and I have to say that was my favorite port. Nothing against Ketichekan...there wwas just too many ships docked at the time so there was too many people.In kitchekan we found out (too late) that shopping is best done early in the A.M.

Also, on our trip we were not on royal caribbean. My hubby won a trip through work. But the scenery and experience of just being there were wonderful. Our next cruise (oct 8) is on R.C. going to the caribbean.This time with our son(11 years old)

Please tell me somebody is going to do the dog sledding!!!I know it is really expensive, but really worth it!

Hi, Alaskan Girl.

Thank you for your help with our questions. It is easier to plan things and make the most of our limited time in the ports when someone who has been there shares their knowledge.

I have questions from others posts. I am looking to purchase some true 'alaskan' gifts, but have read so much about many things being from China or Indonesia, I am afraid to purchase much. I've been told to look for "ouu-loo knives" (I know the spelling if off but just have no clue!). On this thread I've seen info on blue diamonds and bear claws--something I am hoping is made from wood! I really want to get some items that are unique to Alaska or at least represent Alaska that are somewhat reasonable in price. Any ideas and good places to shop are appreciated.

Thank you.

alaskangirl,

I was just in Alaska in May. It truly is an amazing state - I hope to be back soon. Ketchikan is fabulous - especially the snorkeling!

alaswhales - glad to read that you tried the snorkeling - I know you asked questions before you left but I think I got back after you were in Ketchikan. I loved it and echo your sentiments!

cigal

I also bought 3 sets of the bear claws (wood) and I think they are great. I too cut out the coupons from the different cities and bought them inexpensively. I got a set for myself as well as both of my daughters. My son-in-law liked them. I also bought him and I the ULU knives with the chopping bowl. I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. Can't wait!!! One word of advise on the ULU knife, be smart like me (it was un-intentional LOL), and use the coupon for free shipping at Tongass and buy lots of things there. Well worth it, the package was at the house before we were, and we found out later, would not have been able to bring them home in the luggage.

CIGAL,

I am very glad I did the snorkeling. I am trying to get the word out for people to know how great it is!!! Did you get pictures underwater as well, and if so, did they turn out good. It was very cloudy and rained most of the day (except while snorkeling) so not enough light to make really good pictures. Some came out OK. Have a nice one of a jellyfish. So far, you are the only other person I have found that did this. I started new threads trying to find people, but to no avail!

Archived