Cell phones on Alaskan Cruise & in Alaska?

sirarthur

My DH & I are taking the Veendam Cruise to Alaska on July 23rd leaving from Vancouver. After the Cruise we will be in Anchorage and on the Kenai peninsula for several weeks (Seward, Homer etc.) We have Verizon cell phone service and wonder if we will have digital or even analog service on the ship or in Alaska.

I have just returned from a 12 day cruisetour in Alaska. I too have Verizon and found the cell service great. Most mornings I called family back in Florida with no problems. Also had service in Anchorage, Denali and Fairbanks.

Last year on the NCL Star, when the ship docked in port, everyone was outside on deck talking on their cell phones. This was so annoying. Everyone was trying to get a signal. You couldn't even get down the gangway for the people talking on their phones. They even tried before they got off.

WE cruised in Alaska and also went to Denali three years ago - we have Verizon. No problem calling home. However, make sure you have the plan that includes ALL of North America - some of Verizon's plans do NOT include Alaska. Your phone will work but you will pay a per minute surcharge which can be expensive if you don't have the expanded coverage.

Have fun in Alaska - it is beautiful.

Link doesn't work.

Thanks...I guess a link to a search expires.

SirArthur...if you click 'search' and enter the word 'cell' when choosing 'Alaska' you'll get a ton of information!

Thank you Krewzin and everyone else!!! From the threads and Verizon I feel confident that with the America Choice plan I will have service in Anchorage, Homer, and to some extent in Seward. It is network service which means that it is not Verizon but no roaming charges are applied. Others have indicated that service is available in Juneau and Katchican but not Skagway....

Looks like we will be able to have contact with those back home as we travel.

Thanks again!!!

Archived