Longyearbyn

Will be in Longyearbyn , July 21....Has anyone out there been there? What can you tell me about it and Spitzbergen in general? Thank You.

Just returned from there on QE2. Beautiful place. Impressive.

I gather there are a lot of tours available from local guides. You cannot leave the town without a gun in view of polar bears.

The ship will dock, or tender, off a tiny industrial pier around a small hill from the town of Longyearbyen. There will be shuttle buses (school buses) every 5 mins. in a small roundabout just a few steps from the ship. You can come and go on the bus which is free.

When the bus has a decent contingent of passengers, the driver shuts the door, and dashes off down a dirt/paved road, around a dusty hill, and in 3 minutes, you're in the "town" which consists of one very long plaza lined with shops, a general store, and a large statue memorializing the coal miners who have worked (and died) in the area. Be sure when you turn the corner into the plaza to see the Radission Polar hotel - there were two reindeer grazing on the tundra grasses there.

The General Store was remarkable. You can buy anything from magazines to car tires to crystal statues. I bought a crystal sculpture, about 12 inches long shaped like an arrowhead with two polar bears moseying across the surface. It cost USD85 which I thought was quite reasonable and has been a fine addition to my living room.

In mid-June, it was 20 degrees with light blowing snow and a brisk wind. A very brave vendor dressed in a beautiful sealskin jacket and slacks was selling trinkets off the gangway of the ship. How she was able to stand the cold is beyond me. It is a rule that no one leaves the town without a rifle due to polar bears in the area. You can rent or buy weaponry in the General Store but there is really nowhere to go outside the town.

I know of only 3 of us on Cruise Critic who have been to Svalbard - Globaliser and KindlyChap are the other two. Globaliser and I discussed Svalbard in another thread. If I can find it, will post it here. I was on Saga Ruby, Globaliser was on Sea Princess, and KindlyChap on the QE2. On Saga Ruby, we were so lucky to watch a polar bear for 3 hours as she roamed around Magdelenefjord and Bay, then a second bear was swimming in the water beneath my feet before we followed the leads in the ice back out into the sea.

We sailed on north to Ny Alesund, tried to circle the island of Svalbard, but had to turn back due to pack ice from the North Pole. We took the long way around to NordKapp. You will always remember this cruise.

Ruby

Ruby, Thank you for the information. We will be there on the 21st of this month aboard the MV Prinsendam...We have been to the North Cape in 1998, Prudhoe Bay Alaska 1990 and Anarctica in 1999 and again in 2002. Lonyearbyen sounds fascinating. We were on the Prinsendam just 6 weeks ago for a cruise up the Amazon that was very interesting ...The Captain, Chris Turner, told me at that time that he had taken a vessel into Longyearbyen 8 or 9 years ago to get a load of coal and that he was looking forward to sailing around Spitzbergen in a more leasurely fashion. We will certainly visit the store,hotel, museum etc.....I will pass on tours requiring a rifle and in the meantime I guess I had best pray to the weather gods!!!...PS, If you find that thread I would appreciate it. We fly to Amsterdam next Saturday, 7/8/06, and board ship on Monday, 7/10...Rob.

The discussion between me and Globaliser about Svalbard (Spitzbergen) is at this URL - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=324796

If the URL fails, it is under "Ports of Call, Britain" and entitled "Globaliser - Magdalenefjord Question." You may find some interest in this discussion.

Ruby

Thank YOU !!!!!!!

Howdy. I know you're getting ready for your exciting trip to Far North, but when you get back, I'd like to hear why you went to Antarctica twice, if you landed and, if so, what cruise line you were on.

Antarctica is the last continent for my collection; Globaliser has shown me magnificent pix of Deception Island. If you have any personal thoughts about your two trips and what you would - and would not - do again, I would appreciate hearing your comments.

Have a wonderful trip to Svalbard. I'm so excited that you are going to what I consider one of the most magnificent places on Planet Earth.

Happy sails,

Ruby

Archived