NCL Kids' Clubs availability vs other lines

We are planning to sail on Pride of Hawaii in March 2008. I have noticed that the kids' club is only open from 7-10pm on port days, and every day is a port day. I do realize that we can pay extra for group babysitting outside these hours, but I guess I'm feeling a little "ripped off" that more kids' club time won't be included in the price of the cruise.

We cruised with Disney in December, where the clubs were open from 9am to 1am most days, even while in port (not that our kids were in the club all the time, but it was just nice to have options).

I should also point out that our kids are night owls when on vacation and enjoy being in the clubs until midnight or so (I would think NCL would want to accommodate this as, if they are happy with the other children, we are happily spending money in the lounges).:rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm not meaning to complain, obviously we will have an incredible family vacation regardless.

Basically I have 3 questions that I would love to get some opinions on:

1. Has anyone ever taken this issue up with NCL?

2. How does NCL's hours of free availability compare with other cruise lines?

3. Does anyone else have an issue with this, or have I just been spoiled by magical, family-focussed Disney?:confused:

1. Has anyone ever taken this issue up with NCL?

2. How does NCL's hours of free availability compare with other cruise lines?

3. Does anyone else have an issue with this, or have I just been spoiled by magical, family-focussed Disney?:confused:

So you've discovered that NCL has, without a doubt, the most minimal hours of kids programs of any mass market line. Yes, it's quite a pain in the neck, we cruised NCL and found out about the barely there kids clubs after it was too late to cancel.

1. I did take this issue up with NCL customer disservice and got a "too bad, those are the breaks" response.

2. NCL's hours of free availability are the absolute lowest of the mainstream (basically non upscale, non "family friendly" lines)

3. You would also be spoiled my most other lines, while Disney does have the best, RCL also comes close, Carnival, Princess and Celebrity all have great kids programs. NCL is the worst, just prepare yourself that the kids program will not hold a candle (or even a match) to Disney's and plan on finding some playmates for the kids.

Unfortunately, for Hawaii you don't have a lot of choices. I've cruised with my kids on most of the lines.

Thank you so much for your reply Smartcookie. I appreciate your confirming that NCL's kids' club hours are lacking compared to other lines, and that it's not just me with overly high expectations.

It's too bad they didn't take more notice of your concerns, because I'm sure that many other families would also find this to be a problem- and, while there are no other choices for 7 day Hawaii cruises, there are certainly plenty of other choices if we choose to change the itinerary to somewhere else.

We aren't going until March 2008, so may re-think and do something else (like the Mexican Riviera on RCL or Princess). I know I can't expect other lines to be like Disney, but do expect clubs with generous hours and a variety of activities that our kids will enjoy.

I had thought that, maybe if a lot of people were interested in this topic, we could unite and ring or email NCL to see if they would have a look at this. But, since you are my only response, maybe most people don't mind so much.

We took our 2 kids on NCL Dawn last year and absolutely LOVED the kids crew. We took them with us when we went into ports so I didn't experience it first hand on port days. But, they are open when in port. From NCL's website:

KID’S CREW HOURS Sea days:

9 am – noon

2 pm – 5 pm

7 pm – 10 pm

Sea days & port days:

7 pm – 10 pm

GROUP SITTING HOURS

Sea days:

10 pm – 1 am (Sign up by noon on the same day)

Port days:

9 am – 5 pm (Sign up by 5 pm on the previous day)

The difference between the regular kids crew and group babysitting is with group babysitting there is a fee and no real organized activities (but PLENTY to on their own!). Our kids loved both scenarios. We couldn't keep them out of the kids crew. We booked the Dawn again for next Summer and because of our experience last year, are hesitant to book any other line (not just because of the kids crew, we feel that NCL's service is the best :)).

Happy Sailing!! :D

We took our 2 kids on NCL Dawn last year and absolutely LOVED the kids crew. We took them with us when we went into ports so I didn't experience it first hand on port days. But, they are open when in port. From NCL's website:

KID’S CREW HOURS Sea days:

9 am – noon

2 pm – 5 pm

7 pm – 10 pm

Sea days & port days:

7 pm – 10 pm

GROUP SITTING HOURS

Sea days:

Port days:

9 am – 5 pm (Sign up by 5 pm on the previous day)

The difference between the regular kids crew and group babysitting is with group babysitting there is a fee and no real organized activities (but PLENTY to on their own!). Our kids loved both scenarios. We couldn't keep them out of the kids crew. We booked the Dawn again for next Summer and because of our experience last year, are hesitant to book any other line (not just because of the kids crew, we feel that NCL's service is the best :)).

Happy Sailing!! :D

Thanks for posting - that sounds encouraging. Glad you had such a great experience.:)

The Hawaian itinerary is different with its services than any other one. We went on NCL and the kids club was open most of the time. I asked about the difference with the ships in Hawaii and was told that since it is a port heavy route, most people get off the ship and stay off the ship all day long and the need for the kids club during the day is not there.

Don't know why that is any different than any other port but I guess it is.

Unfortunatly, my daughter did not like the NCL kids club at all and I was paged to come get her ALOT...it could have been her age, she was 2 at the time. But there honestly didn't seem to be alot going on to keep them excited. Her next cruise (Disney), I had to drag her kicking and screaming out of the kid's club usually around midnight cause I wanted to get some sleep. When I wanted her to come spend time with the family, I had to beg her to come with us and leave the club at Disney (not the case with NCL at all)

I am told that the RCCL adventure clubs have alot going on for the kids too. So I am hoping that both of my daughters enjoy the next cruise with RCCL.

And with NCL, there was some questionable activities. Like for the 2 year old group there was a "ship's tour" :eek: I showed up to take my 2 year old out. But sure enough, there was 1-2 counselors with a trail of 2-3 year olds walking down the steps to go tour the ship. I just kept thinking, wonder if one of the toddlers broke away and ran for the pool, for the railing, was taken by a stranger. :confused: Maybe I am an overprotective mom, but when I drop my child off at a kids club, I want them to STAY at the kids club. It's different for the older children....but a toddler?

Cruisinmom.... maybe things have changed now, On the SUN, this past year, the kid's were not allowed to sign themselves out any longer and ALSO they did not even leave the KIDS CREW room, (even with supervision) UNLESS the parent/guardian signed that it would be okay to partake in scavenger hunts, etc. Even when they had the parent's night out and the kids all went to a show together, we had to sign that it was okay. (grandson was 9 years old). I think that NCL has changed a lot in the last few years and we found their program to be wonderful! :) Also have to add it is VERY difficult to entertain a 2 year old and many children do not want to be out of their parent's sight. When you did the Disney cruise that was 3 years later (by your list of cruises) and that is a very magical age! ... sincerely, Dan

Cruisinmom.... maybe things have changed now, On the SUN, this past year, the kid's were not allowed to sign themselves out any longer and ALSO they did not even leave the KIDS CREW room, (even with supervision) UNLESS the parent/guardian signed that it would be okay to partake in scavenger hunts, etc. Even when they had the parent's night out and the kids all went to a show together, we had to sign that it was okay. (grandson was 9 years old).

Oh good! I am so glad they changed it. I know that in 2002, they not only did a ship's tour but they also went out for ice cream a few days that week. So that also meant leaving the kids club. And I just couldn't see 2 pairs of eyes being able to watch all of those toddlers. So I had to remove mine. And my oldest daughter was 2 on the NCL cruise and 4 on the Disney, so I do understand that she was in a more confident age during the DCL cruise. The next time my kids will be 3 and 7 on RCCL Freedom...I am sure they will have a blast.

SO are you guys saying that the kids' club is open while you are in port, but you have to pay for it??

I'm confused.

Thanks!

You know, it looks that way. I just went to the web site and looked at the hours (the eact ones listed above) and it does say Port Days are considered "Group Sitting" and there is a charge. :confused:

So I guess on Port Days, no kids club times are available?

Archived