How are the new beds holding up?

Charliesmom

When we were on the Westerdam a year and a half ago, we had the new beds which were heavenly. Are they still in good shape?

What about those of you who purchased the new beds? Are they still as wonderful as at first?

I'm thinking about springing for the new beds, but am afraid that after a couple of years, I'll still have the same problem I have with my bed now - it's matted down just enough to cause my back to ache. If I lay in the middle of the king sized bed which hasn't matted down, it is okay. My poor DH doesn't get much room anymore.

Roberta

We were just on the Rotterdam. I'm not sure when Rotterdam got the new beds, but Slinkie thought they were a little harder than they were last year on Prinsendam, which had just been upgraded with the new beds. I didn't notice much difference, but then I like a fairly firm bed. Slinkie likes a very soft bed.

There was a thread similar to this a few months ago and there were replies from people that have the HAL mattress. They indicated it has the same problems long term as other mattress.

The best solution? IMHO, Select Comfort! I keep my side at 60... fairly firm, and Slinkie keeps her side at 25... very soft. We've had ours for 2-1/2 years and are very pleased with it.

Have you tried that viscoeslastic foam. You can buy it almost anywhere now. I find it very helpful. Once we had a few extra guests and I ended up sleeping on the floor. I folded the foam in half so I had 2 layers and I slept just as well is in a bed with the foam and much better than in a bed without foam. So for around 100 dollars you might be able to salvage your existing bed.

We were just on the Rotterdam. I'm not sure when Rotterdam got the new beds, but Slinkie thought they were a little harder than they were last year on Prinsendam, which had just been upgraded with the new beds. I didn't notice much difference, but then I like a fairly firm bed. Slinkie likes a very soft bed.

There was a thread similar to this a few months ago and there were replies from people that have the HAL mattress. They indicated it has the same problems long term as other mattress.

The best solution? IMHO, Select Comfort! I keep my side at 60... fairly firm, and Slinkie keeps her side at 25... very soft. We've had ours for 2-1/2 years and are very pleased with it.

My parents use Select Comfort and LOVE it. They tried the temper-pedic (free 90 day trial) and returned it because it takes SOOOO much to get that bed past its "break in" period. Anyway, my parents love their sleep number.

We have sailed on the Statendam in Oct 2004 and just got of her last Friday. We were in the same suite. The suites were the first to get the new matresses. When we got on the Statendam in 2004, the matress was already a year old and sinking in a couple of places. When we inquired if the matresses had been changed since 2004, we were informed that they had. Well DH's side was in bad shape but my side wasn't too bad.

It doesn't seem like they are lasting very long.

We stayed at the Airport Hilton in Seattle Friday night and their European matresses were much better.

My 'new' mattress on Westerdam last November sagged in the middle. After two nights my back was seriously aching. The 'other' unit of the pair was fine.

I ended up bolstering it underneath with cushions from the sofa, which made the situation tolerable.

The first cruise with the new beds - they were great. Last time they were not as comfortable and felt lumpy - neither of us slept very well on them. disappointing. Now I understand why they didn't change the captain's and senior officer's beds to the new type!

When we got on the Statendam in 2004, the matress was already a year old and sinking in a couple of places. When we inquired if the matresses had been changed since 2004, we were informed that they had. Well DH's side was in bad shape but my side wasn't too bad.

It doesn't seem like they are lasting very long.

We stayed at the Airport Hilton in Seattle Friday night and their European matresses were much better.

I think this is all luck of the draw. Any mattress that is slept on by hundreds and hundreds of people of all different sizes is not gonna last too long. Unless HAL is willing to replace these things on a yearly basis, it's just gonna be a matter of luck of the draw. How many people slept on it and what were their sleeping habits. If they toss and turn a lot, if you have some very large people sleeping on it, if several people using that cabin had kids maybe jumping around on the bed ... that mattress is gonna go a lot faster than the one in the next cabin that maybe didn't get all that wear.

Maybe the mattress in the hotel you stayed in was relatively new yet.

For what it's worth, the mattress in my cabin on the Amsterdam in January was heavenly. But then, many other people slept in that cabin since me, so by now it could be a wreck.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived