RCCL train question

cruisingw/mom

Does RCCL use the train from Seward to Anchorage or is it the motorcoaches?

If they use the train does anyone know if you can book just the train portion and how much is the cost.

I am interested in using their transfer to get into Anchorage then renting a car for the land portion we are doing on our own. Has anyone done this.

They use both but I suggest booking the train on your own for the regular 6pm, arrives Anch 10:20 pm. This is a different train than what the cruise lines use but on the same tracks for almost 1/2 the cost... Cruise line train $109 vs regular run $62.

The cruiseline train from Seward is a separate train and leaves early morning.

I too suggest you spend the day in Seward and just book the Alaska RR direct for the 6pm departure. Seward is a gem not to be missed.

IF you continue to go with the ship transfer- you have to specifically book the train to be on it. Otherwise your purchased transfer is via bus.

Hi Budget Queen,

Decision, Decision......maybe if I tell you more about ourself this would help on what I am trying to figure out for our next trip.

Last year we did Princess - Northbound and booked a 5 nt landtour with them to Cooper River and then Denali. It was wonderful but while touring (land) I realized I could drive the roads in Alaska.

Now we are ready to go back in May 2007. This time we want to experience the Kenai area. We are looking at RCCL - Radiance. We have not figured out if we should go northbound or southbound. What I do know is that this time we have little time to spend on land. We have only 2 or 3 days. And we want to go all around (Seward, Homer, Portage Glacier). How do we do all this. I already know that driving time in Alaska takes awhile. And what should we leave out if we have to?

Do you have any suggests, I am all over the map and it doesn't seem to flow that great.

If you have 3 days, for a southbound, fly into Anchorage rent a Hertz car- NO WAY around the high cost, IF you want to make the most of your time- so budget for this in my opinion. Get a flight that arrives in the afternoon, so to be on the road that day. Head to Homer for 2 nights, enjoy the many many sites and activites. Leave in the am and drive directly to Seward. Go to Exit Glacier, then turn in the car- remember they are rented on a 24 hour clock, arrange the drop off so to not pay for an extra day, if you can. Doing Exit Glacier first thing, gives you the advantage of saving a costly cab fare there. All of the rest of the area is walkable, or short cab ride away. Spend 1 night. Touring all the next day, and don't be in a rush to get on your ship, to max. your time. I usually board 6-7pm.

For northbound. do your in town activites, then rent your car early evening- right before Hertz closes. 1 night there, mid afternoon, drive to Homer, 2 nights, then head to Anchorage, schedule an overnight flight for a full day.

Archived