Just back from Grand Turk.

ginny0034

Just came off the Crown Princess today...Grand Turk waters look beautiful but if you are a beach person find a different alternative then the cruise center beach!!!! Hard sand...brings you down to a beach fulled with sea grass and the ocean floor is just filled with slimy rocks... I am a beach lover and went in and out and back up to the pool. I was so disappointed!! Went to Provo 20 years ago and approaching the island is what reminded me of that trip..very desolate with beautiful beaches. Provo had gorgeous white sand beaches. Maybe Grand Turk does to just not the cruise center beach. Margaritaville is a big pool with a bar some very funny antics going on...but that's about all! Sorry I didn't experience more of this port...

Thanks for the insight on the Grand Turk beach. My DH & I are snorklers. I'm wondering if there were fish to see? I gather we should wear our water shoes being there are rocks and left-over cinder blocks from the pier construction.

We didn't snorkel there and really didn't see anybody elso snorkeling. We did speak to one family that snorkeled at Governers beach and they enjoyed it. Governers is only a 10 minute walk from the Cruise Center beach. I think I would get a cab. Hear is was a bit hot and tiresome walk and a lot of mosquitos.

We took a cab to Governor's Beach ($3pp each way). 15 minutes+ to walk-VERY hot. We walked to the far end of the beach. It's shallow and very easy to swim out to the exact spot that the tour boats take the ship tours (I think $49 +/-) I swam with them - they were not happy to find out how close to the ship they were and that we only paid $3 to get to the same spot and could stay as long as we like (instead of 30-45 min). Snorkeling is okay. MUCH better in St. John (took a private sailboat from St. Thomas)

• 2 months later...
Saw you had planned to do the Kayak. Wondering if you did, and if so, how did you like it? I was contemplating that for an upcoming trip for my DH and 12 and 10 yo's. Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks,

I did this tour in July with Merionmom. We really enjoyed it. The paddling is not extreme so it would be good for a little guy. There is a lot to see in the Mangrove swamps and the guides are very good at explaining what's what. We saw a lot of wildlife and it's very peaceful there. I strongly recommend this tour.

We took a cab to Governor's Beach ($3pp each way). 15 minutes+ to walk-VERY hot. We walked to the far end of the beach. It's shallow and very easy to swim out to the exact spot that the tour boats take the ship tours (I think $49 +/-) I swam with them - they were not happy to find out how close to the ship they were and that we only paid $3 to get to the same spot and could stay as long as we like (instead of 30-45 min). Snorkeling is okay. MUCH better in St. John (took a private sailboat from St. Thomas)

Just wondering did you walk on the beach to get to Governor's Beach?

If so can you give me directions from the port? We get into port early and a beach walk would be nice. As far as getting back to the port are there cabs at Governor's Beach to take you back at all times? :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Walk to Governor's Beach: from cruise pier, turn left and just walk along the beach. I didn't walk it but I think there's a strip of beach all along the way.

Otherwise, go through cruise terminal to road, turn left, walk past the old US army barracks, past the governor's residence with the white fence and small golf course, and turn left to the beach. It is the road just past the governor's house.

You can negotiate a ride each way on the train trolley for a few $ per person. Just talk to the driver. Kevin was the driver when we were there. We took a cab to Governor's beach for $6 I think, then got a ride back on the train trolley. It goes every 20 minutes or so. Cabs do come by, but I don't think it is very frequent.

We really liked this beach, and the snorkeling was ok. We did see several varieties of fish. Also very uncrowded and peaceful.

Suzy

Archived