babboon excursion?

taffy12

We were investigating the baboon sanctuary excursion offered by Carnival and were wondering why the excursion is four and a half hours long, but allows for only 20 to 30 minutes in the jungle. What is the rest of the time spent doing? Is it all transit to and from the ship?

• 7 months later...

We Are Interested In The Tour Also And I E Mailed Carnival-i Think 1 Hour Is Spent On Belize City Tour-and 2 Hours At The Sanctuary--the 20 To 30 Minutes I Think Is The Time With A Guide And The Rest Of The Sanctuary Time Is On Your Own

We Will Be On The Valor In The Fall

Last September we took our 7 year old grandson on this tour. He picked this tour and we all loved it. He was so excited seeing the monkeys that he forgot to take any pictures. Fortunately we took lots. It does take an hour to get to the sanctuary. But you get a city tour - different sights each way. Then they sit you down to listen to a talk about the place. A guide takes you on a walk into the sanctuary and calls the monkeys down from the tops of the trees. It is just an incredible sight. It's a great tour and I recommend it highly. You can't go in alone.

I'm not sure how adventurous you are but we plan on seeing the Baboon Sancturay on our own. It's about 1/2 an hour from Belize City and there are local buses that will take you there for $5. Enterance to the park, with a guide is also $5 I believe.

There is a great review of the experience on the IgoUgo message boards.

Personally I always feel like cattle being herded around when I do a ship tour, not to mention that you pay at least double what it should cost. Yes, there is a chance you'll miss the boat, but half an hour doesn't seem like it should pose any problems.

Have fun in Belize!

Cheers, the turnip

Archived