Hi, I'm back

Hi everyone, I'm back, spent 10 days in Ogunquit Maine with DH on vacation.

We had a great time, food was wonderful as usual. First night we met the Grey Goose rep and he offered us martinis if we drank Grey Goose, fun way to start a vacation, he was really a nice person and had fun chatting about vodkas.

Did a bit of shopping at the outlet malls, not much, some tops and DH bought some RL casual clothing. We were gone for more than a week so we had the "big" allowance on duty free and didn't even come close to using up our allowance. Bought a full set of wine, drink, water glasses at the Mikasa factory store, a bargain as each glass is normally $20 and we got them for $7.99 each.

What people wore: very casual, pedal pushers were the pant of choice, even more than shorts maybe because it wasn't hot. I really see the point as if you want to walk on the beach (in a non-swimsuit) which many people do you can walk and stick your feet in the water without getting the bottom of the pants wet.

Ogunquit is a very laid back resort environment and no dress codes really, other than shoes, (flip flops, sneakers or whatever) and clothing other than a bathing suit to eat in just about any restaurant.

The stores in the village this year it seems to be some kind of cropped silk jacket that is stitched and some have a design on it some are reversable that seemed to be in more stores than the waffle jacket. They were still selling the waffle jacket but that seemed to be the bigger jacket and some cropped "bulky type cotton sweaters".

I bought a Kunky's which is always popular too, some women collect one every season. It's a sort of sweatshirt style jacket that is hand painted and each one is unique.

The colors were mostly pink, lime green, blue and lemon yellow for most of what was sold in the village.

We had a very nice room, on the ocean with ocean view terrace and quite large sized thankfully.

I got to finally catch up on my reading (3 books) I manged to read the one book suggested here, Everyone Worth Knowing and really enjoyed it.

Met some very nice local people, and the big shopping but no purchase was we went looking for a house there as I want to move there when DH retires. We didn't make a big effort as we are really not ready to buy at this time but it was a start to see what is out there so to speak.

It was hard leaving as I love the area. I miss Maine already.

Thank you Sue.

Well I don't care if I live right on the beach, I'm not a big beach person, and I never sit in the sun and I can't swim. I just love the area there. The food is wonderful, never had a bad meal there in all the years we have been going.

It's the hospital that is the big draw for me. Health care is an issue for me as we get older and having had breast cancer I worry about it.

The hospital there is like a spa. The food is renowned. People from town go out for dinner to the hospital because they saythe food is so good, kids get jealous of their siblings if one has to go to the ER for something they all want to go too. People from Boston drive up to go to that hospital if they can. DH had day surgery there when he had a foot accident there 2 years ago and I was blown away.

It's a beautiful area, but I don't care if I live right on the beach or not. Property is not all that high if you don't want a beachfront house. Property tax is less than what I pay now for our condo. Houses that are not right on the beach are in the same price range as condos/houses here so nothing extravagant. The prices may actually come down. There were a lot for sale this year and from what I heard a lot of people are selling up as for a lot it was a second home and now with the baby boomers and kids grown they no longer want/need two houses so I hear that prices should come down and Maine is trying to attract seniors to stay/move there as opposed to them leaving. There was an article about it in a local paper.

Hopefully we will get there.

On another note, I'm so happy that all went well for you with the surgery. You continue to remain in my prayers that you will receive only the best of news from here on. Enjoy the movie on tuesday, I hope you love it just like I did.

MrsMoose2001....don't you just LOVE Ogunquit? My DH's sister lives in Eliot (Exit 1) and we always visit Ogunquit. My BIL picked us up in his boat once at the marina there with our bags...we felt like royalty! Barnacle Billy's has the BEST clam chowder. I always lose weight visiting Maine...Lobster with no butter!

Hi everyone, I'm back, spent 10 days in Ogunquit Maine with DH on vacation.

First night we met the Grey Goose rep and he offered us martinis if we drank Grey Goose, fun way to start a vacation, he was really a nice person and had fun chatting about vodkas.

I met a rep for Belvedere and Chopin vodka one evening and the same thing free martinis and he also gave us various pens with different brands of vodka on them.

Welcome back- Glad you had a nice vacation. I love Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire.

Liner oh yes, I always come back a pound or so "lighter". Between the walks on Marginal Way and I too have the lobster without butter. I had lunch there about 4 days, lobster roll or fried clams.

I can't have the clam chowder, as I can't have cream or butter like that but DH loves their clam chowder.

My favorite lobster restaurant is the Lobster Pound went there almost every night. DH and I usually share the deep dish blueberry thingy (no ice cream for me) that is the best. I have 2 spoons and DH has the rest. He says the clam chowder is better at Billy's than the Pound. Had lunch at Cape Nedick lobster pound, the fried clams were great.

Went to the Cliff House for a blueberry facial and massage, was really nice.

I LOVE Ogunquit. I know where Eliot is, nice area.

I love Marginal Way, it is so beautiful.

Crucero-Amante - yes, was fun, he was offering everyone martinis if they drank Grey Goose. Those guys are so much fun. DH and I enjoyed chatting with them.

i will be visiting oqonquit this summer, once or twice from vermont.. the ride takes me only 2 1/2 hours from killington.. we usually stay on marginal way at the rockmere lodge.. porch overlooks the ocean and a nice home made breakfast in the morning.. can't wait to have lobster and I love the clams with bellies.. my cousin is renting a place there for 3 months this summer right on marginal way.. I'm sure they will love it..

We were on the Maine coast last year and I'm ready to go any time. You just cannot describe it to people who have never been there.

I'm a water person, not to swim or boat, just to walk the beaches and watch the ocean.

I love to window shop and eat seafood.....heck I just love to eat period.

Welcome home Mrs. Moose !

Mary

I missed your posting and wondered where you were. Glad to hear you had some fun!

Now If Lois would come and post. I haven't seen her posts since right after she got back from Alaska. I guess maybe she doesn't have a cruise booked yet for next year so she has lost interest for now. I miss her posts.

Hi ladies and thanks for the really great "welcome home".

Star, you are staying just near us. We were at the Anchorage by the Sea. DH also likes to stay at the Beachmere.

I wish it only took 2-1/2 hours, I'd go more than once a summer. It takes us 7 hours to drive down.

Starr, I always get the clams with the bellies too, I don't like just the strips. Is it thieir first time? I'm sure they will love it, it's hard not to love that area.

There is a new coffee place, Cafe Prego, the owner of Five-O opened it, really good cappacino according to DH (I only drink tea). Right on Shore Road if you like good cafes, better than the one in the Square according to DH.

I hope you have a fantastic time, hard not to there.

Went into Kennebunkport for a couple of lunches, I love the Hurricane Restaurant there. The crab cakes, and coconut shirip appetizer was fantastic and they make a great lobster roll not to mention a great cosmopolitan, they give you the drink and then a mini "ice bucket" with a small caraffe with extra in it and it stays chilled.

MrsD1975, yes, that's about it for me, I love to watch the ocean, walk on the beach with my feet in the water and just sit and read my books and enjoy the beauty of the nature. Watch the gulls and the birds, oh I miss it already. I hear you I'm ready to go right back. I agree it's hard to describe if you haven't been it's just so beautiful and so much fun.

I went to the summer theatre there one night at the Ogunquit Playhouse, it was a cute show with songs from the 60's. I think they are also doing Cabaret this summer depending on when you go and Menopause the Musical.

Thanks momofmeg, I too wonder what happened to Lois, I hope she is ok.

I'm hungry now!

I'm originally from Vermont, but it doesn't really count as my parents moved me to California when I was only 6 years old. But, I do get back there every few years, my favorite cousin lives out of Manchester, New Hampshire. We have tons of cousins throughout Vermont and New Hampshire.

Three years ago we vacationed there and drove through Maine to get to the Cat Ferry, I think it was Bar Harbor, then took the ferry to Nova Scotia. While we loved Nova Scotia, we kept looking at each other, saying, why didn't we just opt for a few days in Maine?

The best lobster dinner I've had in my life was the one in my cousins kitchen. She stopped at a place in Maine, on our way back to NH and picked them up fresh. That and fresh grilled veggies from her garden.

Now I'm really hungry!

HappyKS, I know what you mean. I'm in a state of despression right now as I miss it. Never had a bad meal there or in Vermont.

I love Vermont, I really screwed up my reservations and trip this year as I should have planned to come home tomorrow, I miscalculated and the hotel was fully booked so we couldn't get the extra days. If it weren't such a long drive I'd go back in August for a few days.

Hi MrsMoose, your trip sounds divine!

I miss "real" lobster and do not even bother with the stuff we have in FL. Maine lobster is so sweet it needs nothing at all. And I like my clams just barely steamed and in the shell. Yumm! My mouth is watering now and the seafood market is closed for the holiday:(.

I love the sound of the ocean and time of year does not matter a bit. I really enjoy the beaches here more in winter when they are almost deserted and so very peaceful.

I would definitely live on the water if it were financially feasible, though not in the south because of our storms here.

Sorry your trip was cut short but hopefully you will have an opportunity to visit again soon.

Welcome Back MrsMoose!

I just got back a few hours ago from a long weekend in East Hampton. It was great.

Thanks for the trip report. I love Maine and have been to Ogunquit once and Kennebunkport a few times. I always liked eating at Mabels. I'm also a huge fan of Lobstah and chowdah and never seem to get enough when I'm there!

Grey Goose reps in Maine - boy, aren't they going upscale!

Glad you and MrMoose had such a lovely time.

Jane

Thanks Ladies,

Caviargal, I know, I like the beach for walks when it is quiet and deserted. I agree. Oh you would have loved the "steamers". I don't eat lobster here either so I know exactly what you are talking about. Trip wasn't really cut short, I stayed the amount of time I had booked, I wanted an extension, lol.

Jane, hi, how were the Hamptons? I haven't been there in 20 years. Hope you had a great time. Was it very crowded?

Archived