Need some suggestions

Icantdrv55

I am sailing on the Pride in a couple of weeks and my wife brought up a good question that I really didn't have an answer for. If you are relaxing on the beach and decide to go for a swim, whether it is in the ocean or in a hotel pool, what do you do with your stuff that you bring along with you? From what I understand in port, you need your Passport or ID and your S&S card. I would also say that you would probably have some cash with you and a credit card or two. I planned on bringing a backpack with me but I am hesitant to leave anything like that unattended. Any ideas or thoughts?

Being a solo cruiser, I often find myself in that situation. I love to snorkle, but worry about my 'stuff'. Many of the beach areas have rental lockers. I've done that - only about $2-3, and I wear the key around my neck, tucked inside my swimming suit. (Don't want that sparkly key to attract too many fish.)

Other times, I've seen folks from the ship, and asked if they'd mind watching my things. Some have even been kind enough to go down to the water and take a photo or camcorder footage of me snorkling!:)

Whatever you decide - don't ever leave anything unattended! If it comes down to you swimming separately, so be it. Some of the best thieves in the world hang out around tourist places, beaches, etc. just waiting for you to make a really dumb mistake. Your "stuff" will be gone before you hit the water.....

And, by the way, there are masters of the pick-pocket scam around too, so keep your items close to you. Don't put a wallet in the back pocket or one of the side pockets on cargo pants. Don't dangle your purse over the back of a chair, nor let it just hang from your shoulder. Be aware of what is going on around you......then enjoy your cruise!:p :p

You can buy a thing that hangs around your neck that is waterproof and will hold your I.D., money, etc. We got one at a shop onboard the Caribbean Princess. You can't get everything in it, but I fit my watch, money, and I.D. in it with no problem. It really is waterproof. I tried it out is a sink-full of water first. :) I'm sorry, but I don't remember the official name for this thing. We always use it on shore excursions. And as someone else suggested, you can usually tell which people are from your ship by the beach towel they are using and many would be willing to watch your stuff. Of course you'd have to be willing to trust them.

OK, what do you NEED to take with you?

Cruise card that gets you back on the ship

ID such as drivers license that is waterproof. (Some say to take passport; some say leave locked in room safe. Personnel call)

Money and/or credit card, both are waterproof.

It’s just like anywhere else in the world. You make it look like it’s not worth stealing (disposable 35mm vs. top end digital). Make it to hard to steal (brightly colored large bag vs. navy blue fanny pack). Make it to dangerous to steal (carry wallet in front pants pocket vs. rear pocket or purse. Makes the pickpocket “kiss” you to get to your money). Walk around with your head up and look around.

Bottom line is you want the bad guy ripping off someone else, not you. Take what you need, nothing else. Remember, you will most likely be walking around a bit. Lugging around a couple of cameras, towel, paperback and a bottle of water gets tiring real fast. You can always buy what you need while your on shore.

Anything that doesn't kill you, just hurts a hell of a lot

Sea Princess

Star Princess

Carnival Pride

Diamond Princess

Sapphire Princess

Archived