QM2 and teenagers

Highly Sociable

I'm living my dream and sailing from New York to Southampton in October 2006. My two children aged 10 and 14(going on 17!!) will be with me but the eldest is concerned that she will be bored. Does anyone have any experiences that I can share with her. Thanks

Well, there were 180 "kids" going over, 45 on the med and about 180 kids coming back to NY. In all that time I only saw "bored" teenagers ONCE and that was when they were gathered around the ping-pong tables having a lot of fun but trying (as is the fashion) to look at least semi-bored.

Anyone who is bored on the QM2 is going to be bored anywhere. There is too much to do and too much to NOT do (HOURS for reading for my 8-yr-old). Too many books. Too many pools. Too many hours on deck or looking out over the balcony. Too many shows, entertainments, opportunities to go "online"... Too large of a gym. Too many options at the spa. Too many things to do at the kid zone (with special times for teens AND a couple very energetic male "Nannies" to keep them busy whenever they don't want to play viedo games or the Nannies have other plans.)

I could go on and on but it lessens my chances to get any work done after getting back on the 3rd after two crossings and the med.

Book the crossing.

I'm living my dream and sailing from New York to Southampton in October 2006. My two children aged 10 and 14(going on 17!!) will be with me but the eldest is concerned that she will be bored. Does anyone have any experiences that I can share with her. Thanks

I was on the Christmas cruise last year with six of my nephews and neice aged 10-18, there were nearly 400 non-adults abourd, which I suppose is exceptional due to the time of year, they all made friends before the sailaway and the party continued to grow throughout the voyage, they had the time of their lives and were still talking about it this weekend when I saw them more than six months later! how many holidays can you say that about?

As someone who dreads a cruise with too many noisy kids, I have to say that despite the unusually high proportion of under 18's I was never aware of them in anything but a positive way, they had so much to do with so much space that they all had a wonderful time without spoiling anyone elses.

My 14-18 year old nephews were all able to go into the nightclub until 1 am sometimes later, when I rolled out at 4 or 5am they were still having private gatherings around the ship, the staff gave them the same respect they show to the older guests, your 14 going-on-17 year old should have a holiday to remember.

So good we are doing it again this christmas, plus another four of my nephews and neices..... they and I cant wait!

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Cruising is a totally new experience for us and I suppose she was right to be a little concerned. Anyway, we have done a bit more research and she is really looking forward to it now. Thanks for sharing the bit about being allowed in the nightclub and having private parties until the early hours! I'll never get her to bed as she too is 'Highly Sociable'.

And for anyone reading this who is concerned that I'm going to let my kids run riot about the ship.. I'm not. I beleive that children should be brought up to respect other peoples wishes and privacy... but still be allowed to have fun.

Thanks again

It certainly sounds like your daughter would not be running wild. But I have to suggest that it is one of the neat things about the ship that kids CAN walk around safely and happily. Certainly the length of the leash varies from individual to individual, but there's a lot for them to do and the amount of "leash" we gave our kids was one of the things they really enjoyed. And, judging by all the comments people made, the kids were wonderfully bahaved and the adults got a thrill out of seeing them and meeting them.

Maybe if you were REALLY "cruising" on a trip to Cozumel on a "party barge", there might be room for concern (though we have friend who do that with their kids without trouble). But it sounds like you'll be pleased with how this ship fits your hopes for your daughter.

Enjoy

Highly Sociable

I saw a few families on the QM2 that had walkie talkies to keep in touch with the kids which seemed like a good idea too if you want to keep tabs, must admit though I dont think my nephews would have wanted their mum knowing exactly where they were all the time! (I have not given her the same advice!!)

Mark

Archived