cabin mistake???

flaman

Howdy,

My wife and I are taking our first cruise aboard the Volendam in Sept. , 7 day inside passage , Vancouver to Vancouver. We were going to go for a small vereanda stateroom and then read somewhere that many returning pasengers like the lower prominade deck because of the wide prominade that wraps around the ship., and they are so much cheaper! We got a terrific price on a room, HH3300, which is all the way in the front and on the port side. It has a fully obstructed view. I figured we could just sit outside, and use the considerable $ we saved on extras we might not have been able to afford. My uncle is a veteran cruiser and he said you don't really spend that much time in your room. Did we make a mistake? We have already booked and paid in full? Can you change rooms? :confused:

I always book an inside becasue of that. Plus as a solo traveler, it forces me up on deck meeting folks. Some people, like having a window though. It depends oin your preference. See how you like the having a window this cruise. And when I changed cabins a few years ago, the charge was $50.

I had HH3300 on the Zaandam (same size ship) on my first cruise and loved it. Got it as a guarantee. On my last cruise, also on the Zaandam, requested it and was upgraded to HH3324. At first I was disappointed, but that turned out great as well. It is very nice to be able to walk right out on the deck and roam around. You will not go wrong with this, or for that matter, any other stateroom.

Rich

In order to change rooms you would most likely have to cancel and rebook. There are times when HAL will transfer a booking to another cabin but I'm not sure about after final payment.

You said you were pretty far foreward. Did your TA say anything about motion? Do you have problems with motion sickness?

I can't see any another reason to change since you are closest to the biggest veranda on board. I'm not sure how close you are to the outside doors but you would be very close to the bow (access is right above your deck forward) which has fantastic views (also available from your in-room tv which has a channel for the bow-cam).

If you're satisfied with your fare you should probably stick with what you have unless you find out you can have a MUCH better cabin and don't mind the price difference.

Happy first cruise!

GN

To answer grannynurse, in order to get outside you leave your stateroom door, take two steps to the left, and go out on the lower prom deck. The exit to the bow is a couple of feet forward, and a little to the left. When you open out to the deck, you will be in a covered area. IIRC there was a ping pong table set up there, but wasn't used much.

Rich

We have a category H handicap in the bow of the ship (2 portholes). I noticed an HH hadicap at the back that I think would be really great. I had noticed them before I booked the H, but online websites didn't list them as available. ( turned out later they were and still are available)

I contacted HAL and my TA and asked if I could "downgrade" to an HH.

I was told I would have to pay more since prices had risen on H and HH since I booked.

So, I will be checking when I board to see if any handicaps are open at that time.

We sailed in one of the very far forward Lower Prom obstructed view cabins on the Volendam one time. The location was convenient for getting out to the deck and also to the atrium/elevators, etc. We did think there was some noise from the show lounge during the late evening and even early a.m. (rehearsals maybe?) It only bothered us because we became aware of it as we were getting ready for bed and trying to fall asleep the first couple of nights. If you are light sleepers you might want to consider changing to something a bit further aft.

In open ocean you might feel a bit more motion than usual in a cabin this far forward. You should have fairly sheltered waters in the inside passage so it should not be a problem.

You are going to have such an easy time getting to/from life boat drill! You are right there at a door that almost no one will use. Great! You won't have to shuffle along with the crowd when it's over.

I had a cabin about five from the front on Lower Promenade on the Rotterdam. I thought it was a fine location. I could get all the light I needed, and by looking to the side I could see the ocean and determine the weather.

Little traffic in that area, too.

My guess is you will NOT have a problem changing cabins. Chances are that the Verandah catagories are totaly sold out for your cruise and there is a waiting list for them. I would have your TA check to see if this is the case if so you may be able to make it a sweeter deal such as adding in ship board credit for changing as well as money back. But this is just a guess I could be wrong, but definitely worth a try;)

Archived