Looking for Pearl/Alaskan advice???

AnnH

I'm hoping to book an August 2007 Alaskan trip on the Pearl and I'd love to know what type of cabin arrangements people here would recommend.

I will be travelling with my husband and our 3 children (aged 12 to 17) as well as my parents.

We have cruised twice with our children before, and both times my husband and myself had one cabin and the kids had a second one. (all insides)

We know that for Alaska we should have an outside cabin to enjoy the views, and are trying to decide if we should get 3 cabins this time, or make due with only 2, hopefully connecting.

Has anyone researched the various options and found out which works out best price wise? Are there any deals with getting 3 cabins?

Also, does the Pearl have any cabins with wraparound decks?

Is there a specific side of the ship that is better to have for Alaskan cruises?

Thanks for any advice anyone might have!

It's a little hard to know since I don't think the actual deck plans are out for the Pearl yet. We went to Alaska on the Sun a couple of years ago, and it had "superior inside" cabins that were much larger than normal, which is what we originally booked. I think it was around 190 square feet. We ended up in a balcony, but if the Pearl has any inside ones that large, you might be able to make do with 2 cabins, hopefully across the hall from each other?? If their inside ones aren't that big, I'd recommend 3 cabins. Our balcony worked for the 4 of us -- including my DS who was 20 and DD 18, but it was very cozy.

As far as outside views go, everyone recommends a balcony for Alaska. Personally, I enjoyed looking outside through the sliding glass doors, but spent very little time on the balcony. Even though we'd gone prepared for cold, the wind really bothered me. I'd have a really hard time spending $300-$400 more per person for a balcony, but that's just me. If the Pearl has outside picture view cabins, I think I'd be just about as happy with one of those.

As far as side of the ship, I don't think it matters since the Pearl does a round-trip itinerary. If you were doing one of the one-way cruises the other lines offer, it might make more of a difference. We had a starboard balcony, and enjoyed the view from our balcony, but the port views from the dining room at night were just as good.

Have a great time! We loved Alaska and are trying to figure out if we can do a return trip in 2007 ourselves.

NCL offers special Family Prices:

Buy any Suite in categories AA, AB, AC, AD or AE and get 50% off an inside Stateroom on the same deck.

Buy a Penthouse suite (AB) and take 25% off the connecting mini-suite (AF).

Buy an Owners Suite (AA) and the connecting Penthouse Suite (AC) and get the connecting Oceanview stateroom with balcony (BB or BC) for free.

Buy an Owners Suite (AA) and get 50% off the connecting oceanview stateroom with Balcony (BB or BC).

Buy an Owners Suite (AA) and take 25% off the connecting Penthouse suite (AC).

Ann:

Check out the deck plans for the Pearl on the NCL site. There are two balcony rooms on each of Decks 8, 9 and 10 at the very aft of the ship. The view off the aft is wonderful, and those balconies are very protected from the wind, unlike the balconies on the sides of the ship. We were in an aft mini-suite (on the Sun) when we cruised to Alaska in May, and we spent a LOT of time out there. I would definitely suggest trying for at least one of those balconies. There are insides right across the hall.

Archived