RADIO: I need your help (again) regarding cell phones...

Hello again RADIO!

Thanks for the info you posted the other day about cell phones in the Caribbean, and that I *would* be able to use my Verizon tri-mode phone there. You mentioned that I would have to set up an account ahead of time with (I think) the local telecom companies... do you have any additional information on which company/ies? Company name, address, phone... anything would be helpful to send me in the right direction. We'll be on Mariner's western itinerary (Ocho Rios, Labadee, Grand Cayman, Cozumel). I called Verizon, thinking that they would at least have this information, but the person on the other end was at a loss.

Thanks again RADIO. I really appreciate your help! :)

(OH, and one more question -- was wondering why the username RADIO? DH and I met when we both worked at the same radio station, thought you might be in the industry too.)

Here are the countries that you can use your trimode VZW phone...

Canada, Mexico, (Region 1 - Tijuana, Region 4 -Monterray, Region 5 - Guadalajara, Region 6 - Leon, Region 7 - Vera Cruz and Puebla, Region 8 - Cancun and Cozumel, Region 9 - Mexico City), Puerto Rico, South Korea .( I Know you are are going to the Caribbean..but that is the full international list)

For Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios....I will have to get the name of the local office for Telecom...I will need alittle time for that.

I am not sure about Labadee...but I will find the details.

I am pretty sure that *611 will not work from anywhere in the caribbean...you would have to dial the normal 1-800-922-0204 to reach cust assistance.

Radio

;) ;)

knowing that a loved one can reach you at any time makes for a relaxed vacation.anyone that doesn't want one on a trip,well thats fine,but whether I go to europe,alaska or just the bahamas I want a cell phone near buy just in case.

RADIO - Thanks very much for the info. I'd really appreciate any additional you can find out about Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios and Labadee, I'm not sure where else to turn. I feel like I'm getting a crash course in wireless, but it's all Greek to me. Btw, does this mean that, at least in Cozumel, my cell phone will work without any extra steps or setting up an account?

missarudy - you hit the nail on the head. And dtm09, believe me, DH and I would much rather be incommunicato, but I want to make sure that we're reachable, and that we can touch base with my mom at least a couple of times during the week (even though I'll make sure that family is around & available that week too). I looked into renting a satellite phone for the week but they're awfully expensive.

Thanks again for helping me wade through the wireless maze. DH is leaving this part of the planning up to me! :rolleyes:

NJ....

Yes...Cozumel should work easily. You still have to dial 001, plus the 10-digit number (includes area code)

I will have the details for the other areas soon...

Radio

;) ;)

Here is the info for Grand Cayman using your Verizon Wireless phone.

Since VZW has no roaming agreement with Grand Cayman...you must pay them (Cable and Wireless) directly...Here is how you do it.

Contact Cable and Wireless when you get off of the ship...they are right downtown at

Cable and Wireless

Anderson Square

Grand Cayman

British West Indies

You will have to supply them with a credit card deposit for minutes used. Your deposit will be returned when you service is disconnected.

Remember,,that this service is not affilliated with VZW in any way.They will assist you in completing the calls you may want to make with your current phone, and then assist you with configuring your phone back to its original configuration...Seems like alot of work, but it should be alot cheaper that making a call to the US from a landline phone.

I have never used their service...but it can be done....They use the same type network as VZW (CDMA).

Ocho Rios..it turns out will not work at all...they use the GSM network which will not work with Verizon Wireless phones.

Haiti (Labadee) also, will not work with your VZW phone....

Here is a recap....

Cozumel = Yes

Grand Cayman = Yes

Ocho Rios = No

Labadee = No

Another alternative might be to renta World Phone from VZW. the cost is $3.00 per day, and then 1.50 per minute.

These are quad- mode phones that will work in all the countries mentioned above. You will also be able to use Verizon Wireless's english speaking operators from all of those countries.

Hope this helps....

Radio

;) ;)

I have an AT&T GSM (Motorola 720) with World Connect service and was able to use throughout Mexico in VERY non-tourist locations. We were also able to use in all ports in the Serenade Southern Caribe route earlier this year. In all ports but one I had AT&T service so no roaming was involved.

My wife has a Verizon tri-mode and had set up in advance for the Serenade trip but we could not get it to work anywhere (including San Juan).

Just my input from experience.

RADIO, thank you very much for all of your help.:) I'm not sure why you always help so many people on these boards but I am very grateful that you do. The way you explained everything, I actually understand it. AND I will definitely give Verizon a call tomorrow about renting a World phone, sounds like that might work for us too. If not, we'll use our tri-mode phones and the info you provided.

luv2camp, thanks for your input!

Archived