St. Martin - Orient Beach

We are planning to go to Orient beach when we get to St. Martin, and I was wanting to get some advice from the experienced cruisers. It's our first time there and have never done the nude thing before but are going to try it. Where do you put your money and valuables when you are walking around? If we were to take a walk down the beach nude, do you just carry your clothes on your side or what? Also, when eating or drinking in a bar/restaurant, I assume it is fine to walk in naked and sit down?

Where is the best place on the beach to hang out and what is the best food and place to eat? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks...

You will be most comfortable being nude close to Club Orient (the clothing optional resort at the south end of the beach). Most nude people will be found in that area. I believe Club Orient rents lockers (but I am not positive).

Otherwise you will have to carry your stuff with you. (knapsack?) The restaurants at (Papagayo's) and close to Club Orient are OK with nude patrons (there were 2 nude couples near us when we ate at Pedro's ). Further north on the beach not all restaurants permit nudity. I have heard Papagayo's has good food but is pricey. Pedro's is cheap and cheerful, often there is a band palying. I have not eaten there but I have heard Baywatch has good food and is OK with nudity.

Take a taxi and have them drop you off in front of the office of Club Orient. (Ask taxi to pick you up at around 3pm for your return to the ship). Walk past the guard (it is a gated resort) and down the sand road to Club Orient's beach (all beaches are public but this portion is dedicated to the clothing optional use). Walk about 20 yards to the right and you will be in the very center of the resort, half way between Papagayo's for a drink and lunch (good food with prices in keeping with any U.S. beach establishment...menu is on web) and the Perch Bar for happy hour. Park yourself on two loungers and the attendant will bring an umbrella if one is not already in place ($15 charge but well worth it as the sun is extremely strong). There are no lockers available. The beach is well watched (hate to say guarded, but that is basically correct) by employees of Club Orient who keep a close eye on everything. They are essentially there to prevent clothed visitors from taking pictures as well as keeping an eye on your belongings. Club Orient patrons are interested in a pleasant, quiet, laid-back vacation would also keep an eye on your belongings (all you need to take are beach towels, suntan lotion, a credit card and some cash) when you leave them (between your loungers) to go into the water or to Papagayo's. (Note: there are restrooms and showers at the back of Papagayo's to rinse off sand at the end of the day). Club Orient is what it claims, clothing optional. Therefore, if you want to keep your suit on no one will mind. The atmosphere on the beach at Club Orient is unlike any other on the island...basically quiet, calm, few-if-any children. Actually, we go there: a quiet beach where you can wear your suit if you want to, with no troublemakers, a nice place to eat nearby, and a shower to rinse away the salt and sand at the end of the day. Before you leave, stop in at the office and gather some St.Martin booklets for on-ship reading. If you are like I and stress over whether or not the taxi will return just keep in mind that Club O's office staff will be glad to call you a cab. Have a great time!!!! (One other thing: alway take something to sit on if not wearing clothes...the proper nude thing to do).

Thx for correcting me about the lockers. Someone I know had mentioned something about their being available but as I said I was not positive - so I am glad you corrected me.

Archived