Is there truley no limits on food?

mc13murray

I think I would very discretly feed the nearest plant..or maybe even try to put it the remains on a near by tables plate! ....and then see if they eat it!

My fiance and his friends have come close to getting thrown out of the oriental buffets around town....those boys can eat!

• 3 weeks later...
Spongerob,

We got out every Sunday for buffet crab legs we get cursed there in Chinesse every week. One time at Red lobster the waitress told me I out-ate the 8 person RUGBY team in her section. The ticket showed 26 1/2 lbs. of crab legs, now even accounting for shells, that is a whole big bunch of crabs. It was more fun to brag about this before I had to buy a bigger tux but in a word... superhuman.

Ya crack me up srphnx, but I want to be Just Like You ;)

Holy Canoli guys, I thought I went overboard (no pun intended) with six sausages at breakfast!! Our waiter in the dining room did tell us about a woman the night before who ordered EVERY ENTREE ON THE MENU. He was quite serious too. She just wanted to be able to taste every one of them. They were brought to her without complaint!!

I like to eat as much as the next guy, but I have to tell you, that some of the stories about the quantities of food being eaten here are frankly absurdly excessive. One of the "bad" things about a cruise (and I use that term loosely) is that they can be an excuse to over eat. I personally get a lot more pleasure trying to trully savor the flavor, aroma, and presentation of a single nice meal rather than eating multiple lunches, dinners, etc, etc. I know its none of my business about how much others eat, and certainly it is not for me to say how one should get their enjoyment (e.g. quantitiy vs. quality), but I just can't see how any reasonable person would consider some of the previous descriptions of how much people choose to eat on board (and elsewhere) as normal or healthy. I apologize in advance for saying this, but I just don't see why or how anyone would want to admit or even brag about eating in this excessive fashion.

I have had the pleasure of seeing Steve in action and it's not pretty! :eek:

My guy Marty is a big boy and likes to eat. The most that I have seen him do in 10 cruises is 1 app, 1 salad, 2 entrees and dessert. A few times he has gone to the room and ordered room service of his favorite items from dinner (on the Norway).

Meg

I have had the pleasure of seeing Steve in action and it's not pretty! :eek:

My guy Marty is a big boy and likes to eat. The most that I have seen him do in 10 cruises is 1 app, 1 salad, 2 entrees and dessert. A few times he has gone to the room and ordered room service of his favorite items from dinner (on the Norway).

Meg

And that poor showing was at only ONE dinner. I promise to help him grow on the next cruise.

.. gluttony is in the thigh of the beholder.

:D

You've GOT to let me borrow THAT one !!!

I usually kick DH under the table when he starts to order more than normal on the menu! After reading these stories....I guess I'll let him be from now on!!!

DH THANKS YOU ALL !!!!!

Deb

Yes indeed, but come hungry or bring a book to read while the real eating is done.

Not funny....I actually did bring a book to Red Lobster during "All You Can Eat Crab Legs". It may be blasphmy to some (including DH)...but I don't like crab & lobster. I didn't get this big...fighting so hard...for so little!!! Bring on the cow!!!

Deb

PS...thanks for the invite! I would love the chance to sail with you all. A good Harlen Coben should get me thru Lobster night!!!

Okay Guys,

I finally have to be the bad guy and say something. Aren't all of you a little ashamed at glorifying conspicous consumption. I for one am embarrassed when the international staff sees Americans (although we aren't the only ones) stuffing more than our fair share of food into our already "had enough" bodies.

Perhaps if people weren't so bent on quantity the cruise line would have the money to make the quality of food truely exceptional for the same fare or maybe even reduce fares because the food bill goes down.

I wrote much more, but erased it because I know my comments would not be appreciated.

Signed,

Your MOM, grandmother, 3rd grade teacher, pastor, etc....

Not everyone embraces the "fair share" concept, that is a largely political view. Most free market Americans believe their fair share is what they can earn enough to pay for.

Cruises are about getting out of our everyday modes and doing something special. I cruise because I prioritize it in my budget, I can afford to go, have fun and yes, conspicuously consume if I am so inclined.

If I wanted to do something the world community approved of I would do something else, perhaps run a marathon around the UN building for a feed the hungry charity.

ddpe, I don't think they would be eating these amounts if they didn't think the food was good. NO I don't think the cruise lines would make all the food better if we each ate less, and one of the things that makes a cruise is that u can eat essentially anytime you want in whatever amount you want. You sure can't run out to Burger King or Outback while on the ship. Let one of these cruise lines start restricting amounts or frequency and see how fast they lose business!

Guys,

I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised that you guys didn't tear into me. Just so you know, I am not a bleeding heart liberal or fitness junky. When I first married my husband, he subscribed to the "excess leads to the palace of wisdom" philosophy. We know both find more satisfaction in a world of "everything in moderation".

ddpe

ddpe,

We also live in the land of reasonable, we depart that land for a week at sea and party like we were kids, perhaps you and DH don't know the nautical consumtion theory:

Any calorie consumed at sea does not count beacause you are floating. :D

Wow, Steve, the local All-You-Can-Eat buffets must cringe when you're coming up the walk!;)

I've never had anyone even hint at a disapproving look for ordering a little extra. In fact, seconds of popular entrees like lobster are often brought out without the need to ask. The waiters just know which items are popular!

What I thought was a great idea, was that Princess served two Lobster tails per entree on the Star. Naren said that he didn't have to ask for a second lobster tail then! And the waiter de-shelled each lobster tail for our table. It was very nice. I had the salmon. I don't care for lobster.

My husband and I have never had a problem ordering "extras" except for this year when we cruised with RCCL (Radiance of the Seas). On lobster night, my husband asked for an additional lobster tail and was told, "no, because they only had a certain amount of lobsters for each guest." My husband then replied, "that's why I'm going back to Princess and please get me the maitre d." The maitre d came to our table and another lobster tail appeared in less than 30 seconds. Go figure.

As one who is "rail thin" with a small appetite (my daughters hate me for that) I have never understood the North American compulsion to overeat.

I for for one can't gain weight - I grew six inches in height the summer I was 15, and my weight has remained almost constant since then.

Michael

Archived