Speicial restaurants in Anchorhage, Homer, Saldotna?

sirarthur

After a Hal cruise from Vancouver we will be visiting Anchorage and the Kenai. On the Kenai we will be primarily in Homer and Saldotna...(Fishing and photograpy). What special and good eating and drinking establishments would you recommend?

In Anchorage, visit Simon and Seaforts, Glacier Brewhouse, and/or Ristorante Orso. In Homer, go to the Land's End Resort at the end of the road for a dinner with a view (we once saw a humpback whale swim by).

Land's End is definitely the best for "experience/ambiance" dining in Homer. The service is very good. For just plain good food, the Happy Face (above the grocery store on the Spit) and the fish and chips place across the road are good places to eat (and both pretty reasonably priced).

In Soldotna, Riverside House or Mykel's are probably the best. Mykel's has better food, but Riverside House is on the river and it is very interesting to sit and watch the eagles and everyone fishing.

One other thing. While you are in Soldotna, see if Hobo Jim is doing any shows. An Alaska legend. We went a couple weeks ago. Third time I have seen him and he is still great. http://www.peterjenkins.com/Hobo_Jim.htm

Who did you book your fishing with? We booked with Pete's Fishing and had a MUCH better time than the last two trips we made to Soldotna. http://www.petesfishing.com/

We did the same as you.

Honestly, I think the best meal I had in Homer was at the enourmously popular Cafe Cups, for probably a few dollars less than lands end. Lands End, while good, seemed more about the hype. There is also a killer pizza / fusion / italian joint called Olives at the edge of the main part of town. Generally, the options are more plentiful and better in town rather than on the spit in my opinion. There are great coffee shops everywhere, and you will NOT go hungry in Homer,

We had terrible luck in Soldotna, which is a very quiet place, but this was last season and maybe the three main places which were all closed have turned over at this point. We are still glad we went, though, because there is alot of nice scenery if you're willing to get out and walk there.

th

Archived