geocaching and cruising

prarie cruiser

Anybody ever combined the sport of geocaching with cruising? I am on the CB Western itinerary in August and trying to decide whether to take my GPS. If there are any tips for great sites please share. I will also check out the geocaching.com site.

I am especially interested in any feedback on geocaching Princess Cay as I did not find any sites listed for there on the geocaching site.

We always do some caching. Our last cruise was to Hawaii and they hide them under rocks there. We left a travel bug in St. Thomas a few years ago. There's a cache right in the cruise ship area. (Someone from our state picked it up and took it right back home) It's also neat to watch your location while sailing and to check the ships speed. (It only goes around 20 miles an hour) We've done the Western Caribbean since we got our GPS but we're going there this year. I'm sure they are all over.

Too bad we can't put one on Princess Cays. It would be so cool to have something there to find, in between doing all the water things! Maybe I will take my GPS just to watch the ship location!

Next time I go to St. Thomas I will have to look for your cache!

I always bring my GPS with me on a cruise.

If possible, I try to attach it on a rail on our balcony (see the pictures I uploaded with this post). That way, I can always left it On and I can record all the track. It uses 2 batteries so I have 4 rechargeable batteries. 2 in the GPS, the other 2 in the charger. I change the batteries twice a day.

And since it is a Meridian, I can put an SD card in it so I can record the track every day...

Of course, I also do a little Geocaching while on an island. I found a travel bug in Dominica (near Trafalgar falls) and I bring it back home (Eastern Canada). I know that this travel bug is actually somewhere in British Columbia...

Also, when we do a shore excursion on a bus, I use it to know where we are going. Sometimes you do a 3 or 4 hours tour and you see only a lillte part of the island...

I also use it on the plane, espacialy when there are no clouds. When the plane pass over a city, I can tell wich one it is...

As you can see, I can't go on a trip/cruise without my GPS ! ;)

Alain R.

943546079_20081243-InstallationduGPS.jpg.4812f403dc721f6445e069d4deca8110.jpg

636866771_20081347-InstallationduGPS.jpg.bc9bd6bee7d65adb5faece34bb882839.jpg

Cruise2005.jpg.9828327dcf91f2b68b8975e42154a8c0.jpg

We also take our GPS and do cache hunting. We have located one on another cruise lines private island but can not speak for Princess cay. As far as regular maint. on a private island it can be tough but the one we visited had enough visitors that when it came up missing another was placed right away.

We love to watch our route on the cruise with it and take it with us everywhere.

I allways bring my GPS and before the geocaching rules changes I left caches at every port. Can't leave vacation caches anymore, but my cache on St. Thomas is still there and has been adopted by a local.

One other thing I like to do with my GPS is check the speed of the ship and the distance to our next port to see if we'll be on time. More then once I've known we would be late to a port long before any official announcement was made.

Allen

Archived