Good idea to rent a jeep on Cozumel?

massmom2

First, get the Cozumel map from http://www.cancunmap.com This is more than just a good map of the whole island, it is a very good guide to the island.

Now to answer your question. Yes, it can be a fun idea. I've rented both a car and a jeep while staying on the island. I much prefer a car with A/C. I rented from Avis both times. The first time I reserved directly from http://www.avis.com, the second time I went thru http://www.cozumelinsider.com Both times I had absolutely no problems. If you get the map, it will show you where the car rental agencies are located.

When I was there in March, I saw a poor family who had rented a Jeep were in an accident. This was on the main street. The tourist had pulled out to make a left turn, and the cabbie intentionaly broadsided him. The Police were there, but left the guy at the mercy of the locals. Must have cost him a decent buck. They will not let you off the island,till you pay for the damages.

We have rented Jeeps, Geo Trackers through Avis, Lesspay and Rentadora Aguila. The avis rates were a bit less via cozumel insider. Make sure you get insurance that includeds liability and collision even if you use your credit card. As Bruce suggested, get the Can do map...it is the best!

Oh yes, definitely get the added insurance. It will be like a get out of jail free care in case you get in an accident. Without the insurance, you will be held until the bill is paid for, in cash. Your credit card might reimburse you after you get home.

I'm looking at the website now for AVIS...the insurances are listed as LOSS DAMAGE WAIVER, PERSONAL ACCIDENT INSURANCE, and ADDITIONAL LIABILITY INSURANCE.

I should get all three correct to cover my butt?

I am having to convince the husband that we want a car with air conditioning. With my last experience in Cozumel, I got sick from the heat (I hate the heat and it hates me...I'm very blonde and very fair skinned).

I want to go through AVIS just to be on the 'safe' side...is that a good idea?

I have my cozumel map...that thing is NICE!

Thanks!

A couple of tips for driving downtown in Cozumel:

- pretty much all the one-way streets running north-south (parallel to the seafront) have priority over those running east-west. The only exceptions are the main roads which should be clearly signposted or have traffic lights.

- most the downtown streets are one-way, the direction is usually indicated on street corners by a black sign with a white arrow. If you don't see a sign check which direction cars are parked in, this should tell you the way the traffic flows.

Your car rental agency should tell you this, but just in case...!

Ian

I would definitly get the LDW and liability...the other depends on what it covers but if it gives you peace of mind....it's a small price to pay just in case...

I just rented a car from Dollar for August and found they had very good rates at the home website but I am getting my insurance through TravelGuard as the rental is for several weeks. You might want to check them out.

other tip: red curb means no parking!

I'm looking at the website now for AVIS...the insurances are listed as LOSS DAMAGE WAIVER This is what I get, PERSONAL ACCIDENT INSURANCE, and ADDITIONAL LIABILITY INSURANCE.

I should get all three correct to cover my butt?

You could, but I think you are probably OK with just the LDW.

I am having to convince the husband that we want a car with air conditioning. With my last experience in Cozumel, I got sick from the heat (I hate the heat and it hates me...I'm very blonde and very fair skinned).

I want to go through AVIS just to be on the 'safe' side...is that a good idea?

IMO, a car is a overall more comfortable. Cars have a better ride than Jeeps, and having the A/C is super important to me too. Plus they usually cost less than a Jeep would.

Renting thru Avis online is safe, but so it using http://www.cozumelinsider.com You will get a little more personal attention from the folks at cozumelinsider.

Good comments. I don't believe anyone mentioned to allow plenty of time to refill. The lines can get long. And as mentioned, the signs are not "on the corner". We would see them on the side of the building. DH nearly hit someone on a bike.:eek:

We always rent Jeeps and get the insurance. We don't have any one particular agency but get the one with the best price that have decent jeeps. Always waited to get jeep at the pier and never a problem, seemed to be plenty of vehicles available.

I don't recommend waiting until getting to the pier to rent if you're not comfortable doing that but like the rest I do recommend getting the insurance and a map. We got lost in San Miguel last time and had to scramble to get back to the ship. The Cozumel map is a must.

Archived