Just back from June 27 Westbound QM2

mike14c

We arrived home yesterday from the June 27th Westbound crossing on the QM2. Since several members have posted such thorough and excellent reports recently, I'll just share a few diverse observations and opinions for those who are interested. I'll also appologize in advance for typos and mispellings -- I'm a hopeless proofreader!

Overall, we had a fantastic time! This was the second crossing for my partner and me, having travelled Westbound about one year ago. We were a group of eight this time, comprised of my partner and myself and six family members. The eight of us range in age from 36 to 76; my partner and I were in a duplex apartment, the rest of the family in Q6 accomodations nearby on the aft of deck nine.

The ship looks spectacular; if it weren't for the constant sight of crew members conducting routine maintenance, you'd easily believe she is brand new. We noticed no major differences at all from the refit, excepting new curtains in the Queens Grill (pale yellow awning stripe -- pretty) and they moved the abstract sculpture outside the room.

Embarkation at South Hampton was a breeze, the weather was fair and we enjoyed a festive sailaway at 6:00 p.m. precisely. The first four days were dreary weather-wise, with fog, some rain and constant strong winds (forward decks ocassionally cloased). Fairly high winds and seas that ranged from category four to five. A couple of the ladies in our group had some minor dizziness and discomfort for the first day or two; nothing that really interferred with their fun however. With virtually all passengers indoors throughout, the ship held the crowds well, with crowding uncomfortable rarely -- in the library and bookshop (the librabry was not so serene this trip!) and the atrium around the times the ship had the sale items on tables during the day. Otherwise, a quiet spot could alway be found, and the sense of spaciouness offered by QM2 was very much evident.

Service throughout the crossing was excellent. In the Queens Grill and every bar and resturant we were all very impressed with the friendliness and efficency of staff. In the Queens Grill, we were a table of eight. ANyone who has ever been a water or waitress knows that with a table that size, the kind of formal, personal and friendly service that is a hallmark of that resturant is extremely difficult if not impossible, but they really managed to pull it off! A little glitch here, a small delay there, but otherwise, it was all flashing silverware, flaming chafing dishes and smiles. We were wowed.

The food itself, like our last crossing, ranges from good to (very occassionaly) excellent. We spoke to some other Queen Grill passengers who were disappointed in the food, but to me this is a case of naive expectations. If you are a sophisticated dinner who loves food and enjoys top restaurant experiences, you should really know that no dining room, on any ship can really provide world class cusine -- if only because ingedients cannot be provissioned fresh daily. What is impressive and delightful is the range, quailty and presentation of fine foods and classic preparations with truly old world service. It was great, and the dover sole and duck were really outstanding.

Evenings, it seems a good 90% of passengers adhered to dress codes; most ladies looked lovely in floor lengths gowns on at least one ofthe formal nights. White dinner jackets were much in evidence, and were worn elegantly. About 20 ladies took part in the hat parade at the Ascot ball, and had good fun.

I did not attend any shows, but some family members went to each one, and were impressed and delighted, particularly with a singer and the Rock @ The Opera show.

Regarding the duplex apartment: it's a smashing accomodation with really superb service. We never heard the word "no" from our wonderful buttler Sedarkar. We became friendly with the people in the adjoining duplex, and on the final formal night, opened the adjoining door and had a cocktail party for about 25 people that was as fun, glamorous and uniquely "transatlantic" as anything in a Hollywood movie. Two beautiful rooms filled with strangers in festive and excited moods, with waiter passing champagne and cocktails as every chattered about the crossing, New York, London and the ship! What fun!

The downside of the duplex (the inevitable trade off?) is that the huge balcony overlooks the pool area at the stern by just one deck. Not so private on the days when the weather is fine; the sweeping view over the wake makes up for this easily however, and the experience is so sublime that any crticism is churlish indeed.

A few final thoughts: for our family of eight, the QM2 and a crossing were a perfect combination to take advantage of the precious opportunity to spend time together (shamefully rare these days!). There was plenty to do all day long, so everyone had ample alone time, and the beautifule venues (particularly chart room and Commodore Club) and marvellous Queens Grill made every evening an unforgettable event. Anyone considering a family gathering around a vacation would be hard pressed to find a better way to do it than a QM2 crossing, in my opinion.

Any questions or comments, I'm delighted to reply. If anything, this wonderful ship is just getting better!

The food itself, like our last crossing, ranges from good to (very occassionaly) excellent.

I would agree about the food. There was so much choice, occasionally some of the dishes were not up to standard. but I have also been to a land based restaurant and felt my choices weren't up to scratch and my wife has chossen something that is out of this world.

She had the Dover Sole twice during our cruise, I had the T-bone Steak on the last night, it was cooked to perfection and was large enough to feed the whole table.

The downside of the duplex (the inevitable trade off?) is that the huge balcony overlooks the pool area at the stern by just one deck.

During our cruise, the Sailaway part was held beside this pool. So if you are in on of these duplexs you don't have a choice as to whether you attend these parties. Also the queens grill area on deck 11 looks straight down onto these "Private" balconies.

We appreciate the details of your review, and are finding the enthusiasm and exhilaration of your experience contagious.

Originally posted by mike14c:

We became friendly with the people in the adjoining duplex, and on the final formal night, opened the adjoining door and had a cocktail party for about 25 people that was as fun, glamorous and uniquely "transatlantic" as anything in a Hollywood movie. Two beautiful rooms filled with strangers in festive and excited moods, with waiter passing champagne and cocktails as every chattered about the crossing, New York, London and the ship! What fun!

Well, the next time I am caught daydreaming, this is where I'll be:).

Thanks for posting so soon after disembarking.

I'm interested in finding out how cool it was on deck on your TA. We are going westbound July 18, and dont know whether to bring sweater, light jacket or heavy jacket to wear outside on deck while walking or gazing.

Thanks for any suggestions. I think the temps should be very similar to those you had.

Bring all three!

Seriously, the weather varried greatly. The first four days is was about 65 F on deck durring the day, mostly foggy and damp. Felt cool, but not uncomfortable. Getting closer to North America, weather cleared and went up to beautiful mid 70's -- very nice.

However, the real issue for deck comfort is the wind, and it was windy throughout. Forward decks atop were closed for a good percentage of the crossing. When wind was up a sturday jacket would have been nice, and it seems wind speed is much more important than air temp for overall deck comfort.

Hope that helps!

Mike

Archived