QE2 Food & Service

Coolgran

Having read on the 'boards' that the quality of the food has gone DOWN whilst the service remains GOOD. What do others think? Since I have two cruises booked one for 2006 & one 2007 I AM MORE THAN INTERESTED.

The quality of the food has gone DOWN whilst the service remains GOOD. What do others think?

I think that both have actually gone down:( That said you must also note that the fares have gone down as well.

The food: You get a much bigger range of some of the more expensive items (things like sturgeon - the only time I was in QG I asked for sturgeon and got it, but it was not normally something they had on the menu like it is now) However the range of meals and the quantity of food is much poorer (there is a midnight buffet each evening, it's northing like they were 10 years ago, a Gala buffet now is below a standard buffet then.

Service: It is normally impeccable. But 10 years ago I would never have complained about a member of staff, I would never have expected to have had the need to; Now some staff are routinely rude. I have decided not to go somewhere because a certain member of staff will be there. On my last trips I have felt it necessary to complain about members of staff (once for shouting me down in a public area, the other for being repeatedly rude and unhelpful). I was in the Mauretania 10 years ago, I was in PG when I complained about the staff - I don't think that it's the "class" at which your travelling makes a difference.

Has the quality of food and service gone down - I think so but it's still high.

Food and service standards have gone down industry wide.. across the boards, while fares by and large have decreased.

However, with regard to Cunard there was a period of time under different ownership where food and service was simply dreadful. Thankfully, today's Cunard is an improvement over that time.

I can only speak of QG and the last three years, but have almost always had impeccable service.

We did once have to speak to the Maitre d' about our waiter and waitress - not in terms of rudeness (they were both lovely) but just in terms of efficiency. There was an instant improvement, and as we had the same waitress again last time I can say that she is now superb.

Our sommelier this time was pleasant enough, but didn't pay attention.

I have never encountered rudeness, or anything approaching it.

Bar the fact that the little pre starter appetiser has now gone, I have no complaints whatsoever about the food, which is superb. Best beef I have ever tasted!

My wife and I first cruised in the Princess Grill on the QE2 in December 2002 and found the whole experience delightful. The second time, in December 2004 was not as delightful. The quality of the food was the same but the service was not. Whereas Andrew Nelder ran a tight ship as far as the staff were concerned, his replacement (Andrew had gone to the Queens Grill) Maria was good with the customers but did not run a tight ship as far as the staff were concerned. We had a Hungarian waiter who I was quite terrified of (i.e. having the dinner land in my lap - I know Hungarians and they can be quite 'excitable') should I have the need to question anything. The look on his face quite clearly showed his contempt for having to serve others. In case you think I am overexxagerating a lady at the next table was born in Hungary and spoke Hungarian and made little business with him because she was concerned about his behavior. I didn't want to move to another table as we were sitting at our favorite table, so I made the best of it, didn't complain, tried to be friendly but it was an effort. The sommelier also proceeded to question my taste about wines, couldn't find what was on the wine list and generally stuck her nose up in the air as I was looking at the cheaper selections. As anyone who has ever been out to dinner with me knows I am expert at selecting good wines at lower prices from the available wine list (especially in the Bordeaux selection, so my wife and I took exception to this.

We never mentioned any of this because you have to have these people serve you for two weeks, but my wife and I were only discussing this yesterday as we had booked for the two week Mediterranean cruise in PG leaving on August 29. My travel agent, who worked for Cunard for many years advised me to complain if this is the case again, and I think we will should this happen again as it took something away from the trip which was unlike the wholly delightful experience we had had two years earlier. She has given me the name of the hotel manager.

However, as you can see, it has not stopped us going and while we would have preferred a balcony on the QM2 the dates worked for the QE2 so we are on it - we both feel like we are something out of 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' as we go with our hands stretched forth to meet the mothership (QE2) in Southampton!

I agree with kindlychap entirely re the quality of food in QE2's Queens Grill which since my first trip on board in 2001 (I've made 6 Cunard cruises since then with 2 more booked one for this Sep & one for Jan07) it is superb with service if you are lucky to have good and attentive waiters which goes without saying in the Grill Rest you cannot want for anything better!

The food choices from the main menu alone are excellent but then with a 20+ item a la carte menu and the chance to order off menu you are very much spoiled. I have also dined in the Caronia Rest on a crossing and am in the Princess Grill on my next 20 night trip aboard this Sep.

I would certainly note return time & time again if I were not happy with both service and the very high standards of cuisine!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Three weeks on QE2 last year, and I could have asked for nothing more in terms of service or food in the restaurant (Caronia). The food was excellent, the menus varied, and the presentation first class. Our table staff, particularly Emma Louise, who I'm delighted to note features in the current Cunard brochure, were attentive and professional; nothing was too much trouble for them. On occasions we even had 'off menu' choices despite that not being advertised as an option in Caronia. I can honestly say that I have not had better anywhere on shore.

The Lido was possibly a different matter, especially at afternoon tea, when it could be very difficult to catch a waiter's eye, and long waits for sandwiches was the norm. I didn't even try the Queen's Room 'white glove' teas, as the room was always filled up with fierce looking ladies of a mature age immediately after lunch, and woe betide anyone who dared to sit at their favourite table!:)

My wife and I first cruised in the Princess Grill on the QE2 in December 2002 and found the whole experience delightful. The second time, in December 2004 was not as delightful.

We had a similar experience in December '05 and May '06. In December the service was churlish and slow, the food was acceptable; in the May the both the service and food was much better. Both times Andrew Nelder was the Restaurant Manager.

The Lido was possibly a different matter

No "possibly" about it - the Lido is little more than a good motorway service station.(Although their coffee isn't bad).

I didn't even try the Queen's Room 'white glove' teas, as the room was always filled up with fierce looking ladies of a mature age immediately after lunch

Coolgran - if you're in grill accommodation take tea in the Queens Grill Lounge. There are always tables available at 4-00pm.

We had a similar experience in December '05 and May '06. In December the service was churlish and slow, the food was acceptable; in the May the both the service and food was much better. Both times Andrew Nelder was the Restaurant Manager.

Andrew now runs the Queens Grill, and that is excellent.

No "possibly" about it - the Lido is little more than a good motorway service station.(Although their coffee isn't bad).

We refer to it as the Roadchef. UK readers will understand

Coolgran - if you're in grill accommodation take tea in the Queens Grill Lounge. There are always tables available at 4-00pm.

You must be on a different ship! The Queens Grill Lounge has been worse, if anything, than the Queens Room, with the place filling up from 3.00. Silence and stoney faces. We don't do tea in a big way, and normally in our cabin, but of the venues in the public area, the Queens Room is our preferred option.

You must be on a different ship! The Queens Grill Lounge has been worse, if anything, than the Queens Room, with the place filling up from 3.00. Silence and stoney faces. We don't do tea in a big way, and normally in our cabin, but of the venues in the public area, the Queens Room is our preferred option.

My reaction to your comment is "You must have been on a different ship"!:D (We are both talking QE2 aren't we?). The QGL had empty tables until between 4-15pm and 4-30pm, then there were regularly tables being vacated. If you hadn't got a table in the Queens Room by 2-00pm you were out of luck.

This just goes to show how different two cruises can be and how people's perceptions can differ.

Has the quality of food and service gone down - I think so but it's still high.

If l might add, over the course of my 20 years cruising with QE2 yes l do think the quality of food and service has gone down hill,bit its still a high standard, However so have the fares!!! and dare l add the standard of passenger... When they are offering the one nighter at a fare of £49 for MI what can we expect!!!

cheers

Myles

My reaction to your comment is "You must have been on a different ship"!:D (We are both talking QE2 aren't we?). The QGL had empty tables until between 4-15pm and 4-30pm, then there were regularly tables being vacated. If you hadn't got a table in the Queens Room by 2-00pm you were out of luck.

This just goes to show how different two cruises can be and how people's perceptions can differ.

We are indeed both talking QE2. I'm surprised at your experience, but as you say, it is clearly dangerous to generalise!

Since our first cruise in 1985 I must admit that it would be silly to say the Food & Service are the same now-they are not. For instance there were a lot more staff about and one was not able to so much as lift a tray before someone was there to take it from you, as for moving a chair on deck !!!! that was unheard of. The Midnight Buffett was magnificent and held in the Caronia Every night, however as several people have pointed out the fares have not gone up that much and the QE2 is still good value for money and apart from a one cruise when she had a change of ownership and it was all very disappointing, we have been more than satisfied. As for tea, the Queen's room has always appealed to us and very rarely have we been unable to get seats. I was just concerned as to whether there had been a real deteroriation in the food and service since last year.We are by the way in Mauritania so do not have access to the other places mentioned for afternoon tea. 1985 was our 'once in a life time holiday'

but we got hooked and have been going ever since:D

I am sure you will have a wonderful time. One has to remember that when we say the standard of food and service has gone down it is still equivilant to 5* ashore, we cunarders are used to being spoiled. I am just hoping that has NOT changed.

With the exception of my first time on QE2, which was in the former "Tables of the World" (now Mauretania and then nick-named 'Stables of the World'), and my most recent crossing, which was in Caronia, I have dined in either Princess Grill or Queen's Grill. I do feel that the quality of food and service steadily declined in the grills. Some of the worst meals I ever had were in the Queen's Grill during the period from 1997-2000. Andrew Nelder and Robert Cheadle (now running a pup in Bristol after being transferred to Queen Mary 2) ran tight ships as maitre d's, whether that was in Princess or Queen's Grill. On my last voyage (a 2003 crossing), I dined in Caronia and found the food and service to be very good. The entire experience was quite delightful. I was presented with the dinner menu during each lunch and asked if there was something to my liking not on the menu which they could prepare. Overall, the menus were thoughtfully and competently conceived and executed. I would not label anything on any ship as inspired. Most menus have to be mainstreamed and can't be that daring. I found the food and service superior on QE2 in comparison to Queen Mary 2. My experiences on that ship are limited to Britannia. But the entire Queen Mary 2 experience is less authentic than QE2. I am booked solo for the entire world cruise in 2007 on QE2 (Caronia Restaurant) and I am hoping for a good dining room experience, including food, service, table mates, waiter, maitre d', etc. (I am hoping to find an inexpensive way to do a voyage blog.) But the most important thing to remember, food and service and other issues notwithstanding, is that we still have QE2 with us!

But the most important thing to remember, food and service and other issues notwithstanding, is that we still have QE2 with us!

Well said Bobby1119.. but for how long, thats the only question we need answered!!

Hello Coolgran

I have just come back from cruising on the Lizzy, and i found it very dissapointing regarding the food , although i didnt have a problem with the service . I was in the princess grill , and yes the beef was good , on the other hand on one evevning our sweet was nothing more than a

pre-packed pie exc created !! (Taste of nothing ) and for the lido there is now comparison to a motorway cafe,the cafe wins hands down .

Food in the lido, specialy the sweet section is appalling , (Totaly Tasteless) . Overall the cruise was exc and we had a good time ,

As for the Grill i would only rate it a standard 4* The Lido 2*

I would prefer to pay more and have the quality back .

Hello Coolgran

I have just come back from cruising on the Lizzy, and i found it very dissapointing regarding the food , although i didnt have a problem with the service . I was in the princess grill , and yes the beef was good , on the other hand on one evevning our sweet was nothing more than a

pre-packed pie exc created !! (Taste of nothing ) and for the lido there is now comparison to a motorway cafe,the cafe wins hands down .

Food in the lido, specialy the sweet section is appalling , (Totaly Tasteless) . Overall the cruise was exc and we had a good time ,

As for the Grill i would only rate it a standard 4* The Lido 2*

I would prefer to pay more and have the quality back .

Dear maymaymay

Thanks for that up to date reply. So sorry the food was not up to scratch.

My pet hate is motorway cafe's so I guess we will not be doing much eating in the Lido. Did you complain whilst you were on board?

Regards

Coolgran

Hello Coolgran

No I did'nt make an offical complaint, but i did have a word with the lido manager who has been on board for 11 years , he said resourses had to be pulled back from somewhere.

In an earlier post (Cunard v Celebrity) i disagreed strongly that cunard won hands down over celebrity , I'm saddened I have to take it back.

You must try the Lido Coolgran, its one way of getting rid of your motorway cafe phobia!

Hope i havent put you on a downer Coolgran, please post me a message after your cruise with your feedback.

May

Maymaymay,

Thanks for your post. I was shocked to hear about your Princess Grill reports especially as I am dining there this Sep. for the 20 night US / Canada crossing & Cruise!! I last dined there on the last night of my cruise in July 05 (I was dining in the QG Restaurant for the duration of the trip but asked to dine PG Rest one night) and thought the food was comparable to the QG Rest. Service was very good but not as attentive as the QG Rest.

I cannot believe that any sweets on QE2 are anything but home-made and the presentation I have experiened for all meals / dishes Grill Class has been nothing short of 5* plus!!! Even the Caronia Rest is still very good.

Out of interest was your trip the 3 night cruise to Guernsey & Cherbourg? I ask this because a friend of mine dined in the Mauretania Rest and could not fault superb food & service!!

I'll certainy report back to the Forum re my thoughts on my next QE2 cruise in a few months.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Quote:

Originally Posted by cunardqueen

When they are offering the one nighter at a fare of £49 for MI what can we expect!!!

They are? Ohh! Where?

In one of their recent snailmail offers they were doing a special promo on not just this cruise but some of the other shorter cruises on QE2 in the single MI grade and they were working out at £49 a night... And of course knowing how well cunard operate all these new bookings will be upgraded, and the people who booked the day the cruises went on sale, will be left exactly where they are one year on!

As we are always told in the sales letters etc.. "book early and save !!!"

My husband and I returned on 6/30 from the Land of the Midnight Sun Cruise on the QE2. We had booked the cruise more than six months ago and were upgraded.

The quality of the food and service in the Princess Grill was much superior to what is was in 1980! True, the menu was not complete, but anything you wanted was available for the asking. Service could not have been better. The Qeens Grill is much too large on the QE2 now and it seems a less pleasant place to dine. I much prefer the Princess Grill on the QE2 to the Queens Grill on either the QE2 or the QM2.

There was no public space for tea. The Queens Grill Lounge was full from 4-5 with elderly men and women and the Queens Room was full for the entire time.

We had to take tea in our cabin. The ship was full.

Archived