Time from Heathrow?

Spike_Spiegel

Hello, all!

Basic question:

What is the WORST CASE SCENARIO for getting through customs (at Heathrow) and into London (Victoria Station) on the day of our sailing?

(Of course I suppose the "worst" case would be that we were somehow mistaken for fugitives and arrested on the spot, spending a night with the authorities before they get it all straightened out .. but barring *that* ... LOL)

We are booked for the VSOE rail transfer to Southampton ... as near as I can tell I believe that train leaves Victoria Station at 11:00 AM (please correct me if you know differently) ...

What is the latest I can land at Heathrow and still have hope of catching that train?

There is a flight that arrives Heathrow at 06:20 AM, which would *seem* to be planty of time, but I don't want to chance missing our train. However, to get in earlier means coming in the night before and spending money on a hotel and extra meals ... something I will do if recommended, but I'd like to hear a few stories from all of you first.

THANKS in advance!

- Spike

What is the WORST CASE SCENARIO for getting through customs (at Heathrow) and into London (Victoria Station) on the day of our sailing?

It does rather depend on how you intend to get into London.

However in my experience Heathrow is a nightmare. Then you have either to deal with public transport or get a cab through rush hour traffic.

If it were me, I'd fly in a day early. It will spoil your day if you are rushing. Get into London, get the grotty bit done and get as nice a hotel as you can in London, ideally close to Victoria.

Then have a nice evening the night before and get to Victoria early. The VSOE isn't cheap, and you want to enjoy it.

If you arrive at Heathrow during the morning rush, you are going to try and clear Immigration with several *thousand* people. And that's nothing compared to when you get down to the baggage claim.

I agree...fly in the night before. There are several good to excellent hotels at Heathrow, and if you're in early enough you might want to go down to Southampton that evening.

Bill

If you arrive at Heathrow during the morning rush, you are going to try and clear Immigration with several *thousand* people. And that's nothing compared to when you get down to the baggage claim.

I agree...fly in the night before. There are several good to excellent hotels at Heathrow, and if you're in early enough you might want to go down to Southampton that evening.

Bill

Bill - he's getting the VSOE from Victoria in the morning.

Bill - he's getting the VSOE from Victoria in the morning.

Thank you, sir. Missed that part.

I can still say that you don't want to be in the Arrivals area at Heathrow anytime in the morning. 6:20am may be early enough to beat the rush. I was there at 8:30am on a Sunday (to fly back to America...I walked over to Arrivals to change my pounds back to dollars), and I was rather scared at the amount of people there. It's a large, cavernous area, but there's just too many people there for my taste.

I flew in on a day-trip from Boston, and we got to Heathrow about 8:30pm on a Friday during a Memorial Day (U.S.)/bank holiday (U.K.) weekend. When I got to Immigration, there was a line of about 10 people, and there were at least a dozen clerks working. I cleared Immigration in less than five minutes, and I had my luggage and was in a cab in 20.

Fly in the night before and go on into London. I think the highway from Heathrow into London (M4?) is crowded every morning and afternoon, both ways. It looked fairly calm in the evening.

Bill

Fly in the night before, 2 hour delay on the flight, 1 hour delay in the bagage reclaim, 1 hour "security" delay on the Heathrow Express to Paddington, Paddington closed because of another security problem. Half hour delay because of traffic in London whilst in the cab on the way to Victoria..... any or all of the above.....You miss the train.....you've missed the boat!

You don't need the stress, book into an hotel, peacefull sleep, lazy breakfast, shower, arrive refreshed and calm for the VSOE.... and then...

the queen awaits you at her berth in Southampton.

What is the WORST CASE SCENARIO for getting through customs?

You're arrested for carrying drugs. You don't have any, but you're held in detention for 24 hours anyway (I'm not saying that happens to many people, it's just that you asked for the WCS:) ). The best you could do is to go the day before, stay in a good hotel near Victoria (I stress good because there are some very poor hotels in that area) and be ready to catch your train in plenty of time.

I remember one trip, lorry drivers were demonstrating about something or other, road traffic was dreadful.

However, after landing at Heathrow at 616a, clearing immigration and customs and luggage retrieval.. it was on to the Paddington Xpress and then a 20 minute wait for a taxi. I still managed to arrive at Claridge's before 10am.

Personally, I would change my flight to arrive the day prior and overnight in London before the train.

Thanks everyone!

There seems to be a clear consensus that coming in the night before is the better plan!

(And I agree in principle, it's just that when you don't live in a gateway city, the number of gyrations one must perform in order to get from Point A - through B and C - then on to D ... gets rather silly!)

When planning air transport, the simplest plans (from here to London) all seem to involve arriving early that Saturday morning.

I may be asking for trouble, bringing up yet another scenario ... but would it make any difference if I were arriving early AM into Gatwick?

I know they have an express train that runs straight to Victoria Station, and I have heard that customs & immigration there are a bit less crazy ... care to comment?

Just a thought!

Thanks again!

- Spike

I may be asking for trouble, bringing up yet another scenario ... but would it make any difference if I were arriving early AM into Gatwick?

I know they have an express train that runs straight to Victoria Station, and I have heard that customs & immigration there are a bit less crazy ... care to comment?

I still wouldn't risk it. After all you are coming from a dangerous country <G>, we might do anything . You would have the advantage that you wouldn't have to make a cross London transfer with all that luggage, but I still wouldn't risk it.

Thanks everyone!

There seems to be a clear consensus that coming in the night before is the better plan!

but would it make any difference if I were arriving early AM into Gatwick?

I know they have an express train that runs straight to Victoria Station,

- Spike

Spike

Still a no go, sorry.

1. You'd want to build in enough time for delays. But all goes well and then you arrive REAL early at Gatwick. You get on a train (BTW they've taken of, or are about to, the Gatwick Express so you'll join all the others going from Brighton to London for the day) and arrive in Victoria at 0830. VSOE leaves at 1100. 2+ hours sitting on your cases? Romantic?

2. I've no idea what time the very early flights get in but even if you arrive in the small hours that's still not enough time for flight delays, train cancellations, security problems etc.

3. In order to arrive in the early morning, what time would you leave home the previous day? How many hours travelling? So you leave home lunchtime Saturday. Would you sleep on the 'planes? How hot and sweaty and stressed would you arrive at the VSOE? The following day! And then you get to your cabin, lie on the bed and.... miss the sailaway, dinner etc. No brainer.

No, stop dithering, Arrive the day before having booked an hotel (don't know the one you suggest, try a recognised brand?).

You don't need the stress before the voyage. Think of a peaceful sleep, lazy breakfast, shower, arrival refreshed and calm for the VSOE.... and then...

the queen awaits you at her berth in Southampton.

Thanks all, for the advice!

I had pretty much made up my mind to come a day early, but I'm the irritating sort who likes to explore every available option for trips like this! :-)

The only real hesitation was that by arriving a day early in London (due to the Byzantine nature of jetting about the continental U.S.) it pretty much means I will have to spend an extra night somewhere over here as well, meaning getting "over there" turns into a two (almost three) day affair.

However, you are probably correct that taking our time and being "fresh" the morning of the sailing is going to be worth the extra time and expense.

THANKS A BUNCH!

- Spike

Arrive the day before having booked an hotel (don't know the one you suggest, try a recognised brand?).

I must be going blind! I saw the post where the hotel was mentioned this morning and now I can't find it. I know that it began with the letter "H" and was a hotel I'd never heard of but that's it. If someone can tell me the name again I'll see what I can find out about it.

You must live in the boonies! he he he. What part of the US are you starting out in?

But I have to agree with the others that arriving a day earlier might be best unless you enjoy the thrill of living on the edge - I know some people do. I still have a year to go before I go on my first cruise out of the UK but I've already decided the best thing is to go earlier and spend a day or two in the UK ensuring a smooth transition to the ship in Southampton. Just too many factors spread over quite a distance. Yes you could make it all the way without an incident but if one thing goes off track - starting with a late arrival at Heathrow - then it may be more stress than you care to deal with. I know I'd be a wreck halfway down to the QE2.

Good luck! Enjoy your trip.

"I still have a year to go before I go on my first cruise out of the UK but I've already decided the best thing is to go earlier and spend a day or two in the UK ensuring a smooth transition to the ship in Southampton"

Hey Bram,

We're doing an August 2006 WB TA. We rented a car from Heathrow and are going direct to Southampton to spend a few days before the crossing.

I'll be posting about how things went with customs, the car and hotel along with the crossing. I know there has been a lot of chatter about this subject. I hope our experiences will help others to decide the best things to do.

Have a great weekend;)

Sue

who may need Dramamine to get through driving in a right hand car on the left side of the road.

Sue

who may need Dramamine to get through driving in a right hand car on the left side of the road.

I spent a few days driving in May on my first trip over to England. We drove up from Heathrow to Peterborough, around and about that area, and then back down to London before dropping the car back at Heathrow.

Don't drive into London if you can avoid it. The traffic was scary to me, and I drive in Boston and New York City. Also, if you go anywhere near the Congestion zone in London, pay the fee and save your receipt. I was in it for 10 minutes, and I just got a nice $150 fine for not paying my fee. They wrote the ticket based on a picture from a camera. (I thought I had gotten away with something...smile.)

Have someone sitting up front with you to remind you about turning. Mom did a great job of reminding me each time I turned..."left side, left side, LEFT SIDE!".

Unless you get in traffic, you'll be fine.

And you'll get to find out about gasoline at almost $8 per gallon. (I paid $130 for a tank of gasoline for the rental car, and it's one of my favorite stories since I got back.)

Bill

Thanks for the heads up, Bill. We really have no interest in London. We are heading straight for Southampton once we get the car.

We live on Long Island so we know about traffic. We've done a bit of driving in MA too so we are familiar with rotaries, just have to remember to go around them the opposite way in UK. Another poster made me aware of parking meter boxes in Southampton. The box is at the end of the block not at the parking space.

$8. per gallon? Glad we rented a Ford Focus, just hope the luggage fits in.

Have a great weekend:)

Sue

Archived