Rank Insignia

Kindlychap

What does three stripes with a Crown above the stripes signify?

It's not security (they have an S) and nothing else in the on board guide helped.

We were in Norwegian waters - is that relevant.

(I have tried to find online, but have drawn a blank!)

It's not security (they have an S) and nothing else in the on board guide helped.

These stripes were on the cuff right? (not on the sleeve above the elbow) I'm going to presume so...

If it's not merchant navy, and the stripes were all the same width then it means Commander. (If the middle stripe was narrower then the outer two then Lieutenant Commander. If the bottom (cuff) stripe was broader then the other two then Vice Admiral.). As for the crown, and I've not seen the design, I suspect (given the clue), Norwegian Royal Navy. Of course, if it's merchant navy then I'm lost completely.

(What were the circumstances? Did the stripes also have a loop in the top most stripe? with the crown above?)

Hope this helps

Another thought

If the 3 "stripes" were on the sleeve above the elbow, then this could mean 12 years good conduct (or "12 years not being caught"). The crown could mean the wearer is part of the regulating branch.

Again, if it's merchant or Norwegian navy, then I've not got a clue.

Very best wishes

Bloke was on the bridge wing of QE2, and the bands were only on the outside half of his sleeve. At the cuff. Equal width.

Well my guess (that's all it is) is that he was from the Norwegian coast guard (were you within sight of shore or about to dock/or had just left port?) or pilot. If the sleeve lace had a curl at the top of the three bands then that could mean Norwegian Navy. But my guess, as I said, is pilot or coast guard. Either way he could just have been a guest or observer, and not there in an offical role.

That's all I can think of, sorry.

It's not naval - but I'm told that it's the insignia for a Sergent Major. What's the naval equivalent? I wonder if it couldn't be a pilot.

Archived