St.Thomas Godfrey Excursion

lovacruz

Has anyone taken St. Thomas Godfrey excursion. How does it compare to Carnival excurions. Do I need to reserve this in advance or can I get off the boat and just join his tours.

Carnival Legend 7/31/06

We did a tour with Godfrey last November. He is every bit the gentleman and is very popular on the St. Thomas boards. E-mail him ahead for a spot and he will pick you up at the ship for some shopping time before your tour. He requires no deposit or credit card info, and you don't pay him until the tour is complete and he has delivered you back to the ship.

As I have never taken the Carnival excursion...I cannot compare. But I don't think Carnival can compete for $25.

Hope this helps!

Deb

I have also taken Godfrey's Tour (this past March) and could not have been happier with his tour. We reserved our seats in advance to be on the safe side and he picked us up right at the ship (on time), brought us downtown for shopping picked us back up when and where he said and then for a tour of the entire island with stops along the way for both pictures and a banana daiquiri if you wanted at the mountain top before bringing the group to one of St. Thomas' famed beaches for a swim and snorkel. We even left all our shopping/souvenirs in his tour bus with him while we swam and we felt perfectly comfortable leaving things with him. He also stayed with us at the beach - one eye on the tour bus and one eye on the group swimming. After our time at the beach, he brought us back directly to our ship (always right on time and schedule).

Definitely would recommend his tour and the price you just can't beat.

Taking a tour with the cruiselines you will be on excursions with tons of other people.. On Godfrey or anyother tour its more of a private tour. Godfrey only has room for 25 people on his safari jeep. If this is something you want to do - book ahead of time as he may be full. BUT there are other people at the pier doing the same things so if you want to wait-- you can.

With tour no. 1 if you go to Magens Bay the last 2 hours did anyone feel rushed to make it back to the ship in time , we are on the NOS leaving port at 6PM....

No- you will still have time to shop at the pier.

island tour is at noon and lasts for about 2 hours.. beach is 2 hours-- that gets you to the ship about 4-4:30 if the ship leaves at 6pm you MUST be back onbaord by 5:30. so ya still have an hour.

If you take the Godfrey island tour with the intention of going to Megan's Bay make sure you tell them when you board that really want to go the Megan's Bay rather than Coki Beach or Sapphire Beach. Sometimes when they have 2-3 full vans he has actively discouraged customers from going to Megan's as it requires a detour. Otherwise, you will be forced to tell 60 other customers that their stops at Coki and Sapphire will be cut short 20 minutes so that Godfey can drop you off at Megans.

The more and more I read about this tour, the more and more enticed I am to make reservations for me and my family. I am traveling with my parents, brother, and grandparents. Is this vehicle stable? Or will it be really bumpy? Don't want to put my grandparents through a bumpy ride...

Thanks!

The ride is not bad at all. The most strenuous would be getting on and off the safari-type bus at all the stops...which is not bad at all. Then when we got to the mountain top, Godfrey had to park in a different area and we had a little hike up the hill.

The grandparents should be just fine! You will enjoy this trip.

Deb

I think we have decided to go with Godfrey.... how many hours should we tell him we want to shop at the beginning? is 2 hrs enough? we're not huge shoppers....

also, which beach is best? do any of them have snorkel rental?

We did 2 hrs....and even that was too much for us. However, there were 6 ships in port that day and it was soooo hot (this was right after Thanksgiving last year). The heat & crowds was more than we wanted to deal with...so after finding a nice piece of ammolite...we spent almost an hour just sitting in the park across the street from our pick-up spot and watched the school children decorating the trees for Christmas.

Deb

Pretty much anything you can think of. Most refer to it as the Duty free shopping capital of the world. But when there are many ships in port, the streets and sidewalks are PACKED with shoppers! Not my thing...I guess!

You'll have a wonderful time!!

Deb

We are not shoppers eithers-- and two hours we felt rushed..and all we did was window shop.

Serene56, do you think three hours would be better then? Too bad the tour isn't in the morning with shopping at the end....that would leave the shopping up to you and you wouldn't have to worry about your packages in the jeep......

is the ride comfortable? is it hot? still deciding....

how much time do you get at each "stop"? Is it just get out, take pics, get back in or is it the type of thing where you can stay for a little while. Just trying to get an idea of what to expect.... really can't beat the price!

After reading all the reviews I booked the 5 hour tour. Shopping tour and beach time. A little of everything. He answered all questions and it is only $25 a person. Sounds great.! Thanks for all your suggestions.

Serene56, do you think three hours would be better then? Too bad the tour isn't in the morning with shopping at the end....that would leave the shopping up to you and you wouldn't have to worry about your packages in the jeep......

is the ride comfortable? is it hot? still deciding....

how much time do you get at each "stop"? Is it just get out, take pics, get back in or is it the type of thing where you can stay for a little while. Just trying to get an idea of what to expect.... really can't beat the price!

I think the reason the shopping is in the morning because by the afternoon you will be beat-- especially if you are swimming. YOur packages in the jeep are fine. Godfrey stayes with the jeep the whole time. (he also has a box in the back but i didnt feel comfortable with that.

His jeep holds 25 people. 5 on each bench type seat. (try to get a window seat.- the jeep is opened air but it does have a roof.

A lot of places is just drive by. SOme you get out and spend time ex- Mountain Top we spent 20 minutes there with the view and the little store inside. (it was just enought time.)

its 2 hours at the beach.

Depends on what you are looking for

2 hours is plenty.

Do not try to sqeeze it all in -- its not possible. relax take each minute as it comes. You dont want to wear yourself out fror night time activities.

We're on the 8/19/06 Glory, and it sounds like Godfrey's tour is the one for us. Last year on the Miracle, our best tour was David and Ivan's in Costa Maya, far superior to the Carnival tour. This year we plan to do all our shore excursions independently.

So, can one of you post how I can contact Godfrey? Thanks a bunch!

Archived