Our Own Wine??

kstwo728

FI just got back from Europe and brought back some wonderful wine!! We were wondering if we could take some with us for our HM cruise?? Is that soemthing that is allowed or do we need to do it *discreetly*?!

If it is allowed, what is the fee for having our own wine in the dining room? David's supper club?

Thanks for anyone who can answer my rambling! :p

i just read a post that said they charge $14 now to open a bottle of wine in the dining rooms. some passengers get charged and some dont. it depends on your waiter whether they will enforce it or not. i always carry-on a few bottle of champainge to mix with orange juice ( that i order from room service ) for a nice refreshing drink in the cabin and have a box of wine in my checked bag for the cabin. i take a corkscrew in my checked bag but the room steward will help you with that if you forget it.

have a great cruise

FI just got back from Europe and brought back some wonderful wine!! We were wondering if we could take some with us for our HM cruise?? Is that soemthing that is allowed or do we need to do it *discreetly*?!

If it is allowed, what is the fee for having our own wine in the dining room? David's supper club?

Thanks for anyone who can answer my rambling! :p

My husband and I just got back from the Pride where we took on several bottles of wine.No, we did not have to smuggle it, it's allowed. We tipped our servers wxtra the first night and were never charged a corkage fee. It was one of the smartest things we did. It saved us from buying more expensive drinks, was less expensive than what was on the menu, was totally legal and our table mates loved us for sharing. The only hassle was carrying the bags on but htey make some nice totes just for wine. I would do it again in a hot minute and don't worry about hiding it, it's not neccessary. :)

We also snuck in some hard stuff but never touched it. We left it for our steward. We wouldn't bother with that next time. Of course it helps that my hubby works for a winery. We were able to take some nice stuff and low cost.;)

We just got back from Miracle on Sunday and yes you are allowed to bring wine on board but only at embarkation. You are not allowed to buy wine in the other ports and bring it on board. Now that you know the rules let me say that we did bring 2 bottles of wine on when we got on the ship in Tampa, and also bought wine in Grand Cayman and Costa Maya and brought it on board in our bags from those two ports. The bags did go through the x-ray machine, but nobody said anything to us or asked to see what was in our bags. We did the same on the Glory last year and also had no problem. I would think as long as it was not obvious and hidden in a bag they wouldn't bother you.

i just read a post that said they charge $14 now to open a bottle of wine in the dining rooms.

The $14 corkage fee is in the supper club only.

It's still $10 in the dining room - IF they decide to impose the fee. I've never been charged.

does anyone have Carnival's wine list???

I am trying to decide if I want to bring a couple of bottles from home, or just buy it on the ship.

thanks for any help,

-patty..

The wine list was okay, nothing spectacular. We were charged both times.. $10 in Normandie and $14 in David's, but was still worth it Vice buying a bottle off the list.

Since we have our favorite winemakers( spoiled as we are living in Monterey) I much prefered bringing our own 2 reds and a sparkling wine from labels we KNEW we'd enjoy rather than taking a chance on not finding anything worthwhile on the list.

does anyone have Carnival's wine list???

I am trying to decide if I want to bring a couple of bottles from home, or just buy it on the ship.

thanks for any help,

-patty..

If you go to Carnival's website and look for Bon Voyage Gifts you will find a pretty good cross-section of the wines. I personally think their wine list is one of the finest I have ever seen and I treat myself to something wonderful whenever I cruise. If you don't completely consume the bottle, they recork it and present it again the next evening.

Enjoy!:)

The wine list was okay, nothing spectacular. We were charged both times.. $10 in Normandie and $14 in David's, but was still worth it Vice buying a bottle off the list.

Since we have our favorite winemakers( spoiled as we are living in Monterey) I much prefered bringing our own 2 reds and a sparkling wine from labels we KNEW we'd enjoy rather than taking a chance on not finding anything worthwhile on the list.

I realize I am new at this, but everyone we ever talked to agrees that if you tip 10-20 dollars the first night that they will not charge you the corkage fee. If they do this extra service and don't get tipped they charge you. Why? Well no one but you and them knows if they opened wine for them so if they get tipped they do all sorts of special things for you (like corking) if you don't tip ahead they figure they should make you pay (they get a cut of the fee). The tip is 100% theirs so they have every reason to take it outright rather than charge you and only get a small percentage. We slipped her a twenty and were treated like royalty all week, we had wine every night. Our table guests wanted to treat us because we shared our wine and they bought a special bottle to share the last night. We had cocktails at David's instead of wine because it was less expensive and a change from having wine with dinner (since they do charge 14 for corkage).

........ everyone we ever talked to agrees that if you tip 10-20 dollars the first night that they will not charge you the corkage fee. If they do this extra service and don't get tipped they charge you. /quote]

On every one of my Carnival cruises, I have taken a bottle of wine to dinner at least one night. I have never tipped the waiter a penny, and as I said above - I have never been charged the corkage fee.

I feel I've been treated like royalty at every meal...and didn't feel the need to grease any palms beforehand. SO - there goes that theory.;)

Funny story,

We bought some red wine in the Monastry area of Monsterrat in Spain. Cost us 1 euro 50 for each bottle. guessed we could throw it away if it was no good!

Wine was great ! but cost us $20 corking fee for 3 euro's worth of wine. :rolleyes:

........ everyone we ever talked to agrees that if you tip 10-20 dollars the first night that they will not charge you the corkage fee. If they do this extra service and don't get tipped they charge you. /quote]

On every one of my Carnival cruises, I have taken a bottle of wine to dinner at least one night. I have never tipped the waiter a penny, and as I said above - I have never been charged the corkage fee.

I feel I've been treated like royalty at every meal...and didn't feel the need to grease any palms beforehand. SO - there goes that theory.;)

I'm not saying you have to tip or you will be charged. I know many like yourself who have never been charged. I am saying that I have never heard of anyone who did tip being charged. It's a little like insurance. Beside, your server does a lot for you during the trip. I think they deserve it!:D

You must be better or luckier than me. I've ALWAYS been charged a corkage fee at dinner. :) I didn't think about tipping the first night. Would have been interesting to see if that made a difference. Maybe next time . . .

I brought a few bottles of wine with me and was charged the corkage fee both in the dining room and the supper club. This is common practice in many resturants if they allow you to bring your own wine.

I also purchased wine in the dining room. I found the wine list to be very nice! There are alot of selections and I thought that in general the pricing was quite reasonable. There was a good selection of moderate priced bottles and the more expensive wines and reserve list was really quite fantastic!

The current "rule" is 2 bottles of wine per person (adult person:) ) may be brought on at the originating port. I had 5 bottles in my carry on for 2 adults on my last cruise and was stopped by security. At the time my particular cruise contract did not state the 2 bottle rule as it must have recently changed and I was prepared and pointed this out. The security guard called for a supervisor but then just decided to let us through anyway.

• 1 month later...

I'm confused, as usual. If you want to bring your own wine to dinner, do you just carry it into the dinning room? Will your server bring you glasses? Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems like it would be tacky to walk into the dining room with a bottle of wine. Forgive me if I'm dead wrong (it's my first cruise).

Also, Carnival's policy does not say anything about how many bottles of wine we can bring on board. If my husband and I each have two in our carry-on, do you think it will be a problem? Most people seem to only bring one per person.

TIA

I'm confused, as usual. If you want to bring your own wine to dinner, do you just carry it into the dinning room? Will your server bring you glasses?
Yes, you just carry it to the dining room. No big deal. And your waiter will bring the appropriate wine glasses.

Also, Carnival's policy does not say anything about how many bottles of wine we can bring on board. If my husband and I each have two in our carry-on, do you think it will be a problem? Most people seem to only bring one per person.
We just returned from a 5 day cruise on the Ecstasy. We had 5 bottles of wine (I had 3 and my wife had 2) in our carry on bags. No one said anything.

We were charged the $10 corkage fee 3 of the five nights. She said that she was too busy during the formal night to get to the charge and there was no mention of it on the last night.

YMMV.

We asked our PVP what amount of wine we could bring.. she told us 2 bottles... boy did we make a lot of friends hauling around those 2 huge 1.5 liter bottles to the various shows and such....LOL

Good idea! I didn't think about the larger bottles. That way we will have plenty to share with our tablemates.

Is that a firm policy now? Does the length of the cruise affect it? My husband and I brought a case of wine, clearly labeled as such, on a 7 day cruise last summer and were planning on doing the same again. No one said a word, and we brought it to dinner probably five nights out of seven. Also, we were charged the fee every night but did not think to tip her in advance. Would they notice in the dining room if you brought wine more than four times? Thanks!!

No, I don't believe it is a firm policy. It doesn't specify an amount on the Carnival website. If you call Carnival and ask, you may get different answers each time you call. ;)

We've carried several bottles of sparkling wine on our last few cruises and were never questioned. I don't think one bottle per night for the two of us is excessive, so that's what we take.

Archived