San Francisco-too much to do?

kdvolfan

San Francisco is one of our ports on a Coastal cruise in September. There are so many things to do. I'd like some advice on if it's possible and the best way to schedule everything in. We would like to ride a cable car, go to pier 39 and shop, visit Chinatown and maybe have lunch there (dim sum? never had it), walk around Fisherman's Wharf, and see the World's Crookedest Street.

Any advice on how to do all this, like in what order to do everything so we don't spend too much time backtracking?

Thanks.

I don't know how much time you have in port or where the ship docks, but those places are all really close to each other. You can ride a cable car to Chinatown, get off there and walk around, have lunch or whatever depending on the time, ride a cable car or walk back toward the wharf area. Lombard Street is in that same general area as well but I can't remember if you can take a cable car there. Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39 are both along the Embarcadero, everyone walks all up and down that street, it is very lively.

When you leave the port, you are not far from the Powell/Hyde cable car line. Get a day pass, that way you can hop on/off and also ride the buses and streetcars as needed. The cable car does stop at Lombard St, so hop off, take some photo's and hop back on. The cable cars don't go directly thru Chinatown, but very nearby. Ask your conductor, and he'll tell you the best stop or will advise you to transfer to another line or bus. We've found the public transit workers to be very helpful. The port is very near Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf, so you can head back there after your lunch and shop and sightsee.

What cruise will you be on, kdvolfan? Ours will only be docked in SF from 7:00am until noon on a wednesday morning! So we'll be cramming in as much as possible during our mini-visit as well. Luckily we have been a coupla times before, but do be sure to bring a jacket. It's always cool in San Fran.

rjscott is much better at planning than I am! Excellent suggestions.

But keep in mind:

If the previous Port of Call is foreign (Victoria or Vancouver), all pax may have to go through customs in SF -- it is just a walk-through process in one of the lounges but chews up time when pax can actually get off the ship. Also, there MAY be long lines for the cable car getting back the same way; so either allow some time for that or be prepared to take either the F-Line surface trolley from Market St / Powell where the cable car drops you off or take a cab back. The F-Line drops you off right in front of Pier 35 cruise terminal. /Sultan

When you leave the port, you are not far from the Powell/Hyde cable car line. Get a day pass, that way you can hop on/off and also ride the buses and streetcars as needed. The cable car does stop at Lombard St, so hop off, take some photo's and hop back on. The cable cars don't go directly thru Chinatown, but very nearby. Ask your conductor, and he'll tell you the best stop or will advise you to transfer to another line or bus. We've found the public transit workers to be very helpful. The port is very near Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf, so you can head back there after your lunch and shop and sightsee.

Thanks for all the good info. Fortunately we will stop in Astoria before SF, so no worries with customs. We will be there Sept 20 from 7:00-4:00, so we will be there a little longer than you Atlmichelle. You're in Atlanta? I live in Chattanooga. I'll remember to bring a jacket or sweatshirt. I guess we tourists think all of California is sun and surf.

Thanks again everyone. Only 72 more days!!!

Yes, San Francisco can be chilly and even foggy. It's also pretty windy along the embarcadero. It can also be really nice, we were there this past February and it was absolutely beautiful, just wear layers. If you are in port that long you should have plenty of time to do all that you want, I have done Chinatown, cable car and Pier 39 in the same day. Another option would be the trip to Alcatraz Island, really interesting. You do have to book this in advance, as they regularly sell out. The boat ride over is about 10 minutes, the tour is about 45 minutes, and then you can explore the island as long as you want. Boats leave about every half hour to return to the embarcadero, and you can leave whenever you want, you don't have to wait for a certain time like you do when you go over there.

Thanks for all the good info. Fortunately we will stop in Astoria before SF, so no worries with customs. We will be there Sept 20 from 7:00-4:00, so we will be there a little longer than you Atlmichelle. You're in Atlanta? I live in Chattanooga. I'll remember to bring a jacket or sweatshirt. I guess we tourists think all of California is sun and surf.

Thanks again everyone. Only 72 more days!!!

Are you on the Diamond Princess? Have you been over to the rollcall yet? We have a big group going and we are getting to know each other. We are planning to get together a couple of times to meet each other in person.

Your plans for San Francisco sound just like mine.

We will be there Sept 20 from 7:00-4:00, so we will be there a little longer than you Atlmichelle. You're in Atlanta? I live in Chattanooga.

Yes, we're actually just south of Atlanta in McDonough, GA. Do people ask you why you are flying clear across the country to take a cruise, too? Well, we've been on a couple of Caribbean cruises before, but we're not really "beach people". So we were really excited to sail along a whole different coast, and visit some great CITIES rather than the same ole "tropical" this, "island" that. :)

YES!!!!! Michelle I agree 100%!!! We've done the Eastern Canada coast and an Alaskan cruise. Now it's time for the west coast. The Caribbean isn't really my thing. We are running out of options though after this one.

Archived