torn between Spirit crusie and an aruba vacation

Blossum

I had booked the 10 night spirit cruise in november (so i could still get my deposit back) and I am now contemplating canceling and going to aruba for a week. We have a 5 yr old girl and 10 year old girl........I am not sure which would be more fun for them.. since we have never been on an island or a cruise...I am having a hard time with the decision...and of course the money is about the same.

any words of wisdom would be appreciated

I go to Aruba every year and it is my favorite island. I also cruise several times a year. If your children are very outgoing then you def. want to do the cruise. If they are more laid back and will be content laying on the beach all day then they will do fine in Aruba. There is not much to do at night as it is a couples island so unless you drink, gamble, or stay in your hotel room there is not much to do. There are some tours to do during the day but not sure you will be able to keep them busy for that many days.

I agree with dinobja, there is so much to do on a ship plus the kids camp which will keep the girls busy as many hours as they want. Aruba is our favorite island as well. Still a week could get a little boring if you are stuck with not much night life, plus the restaurants are quite pricey. I really do consider Aruba more of an adult island. Of course your choice depends on what activities you enjoy and do you want to spend some of the week away from the girls? There will be more for everyone to do on a ship. again, this is just my opinion. One more little thing: Aruba can be very expensive though November is the low season. NMnita

Aruba is my favorite island which we've been to about 16 times but I agree with the others. It is a couples island with very little for children to do at night. Also, November is the beginning of Aruba's rainy season (I know, they don't advertise it!) but they do get more rain in Nov/Dec/Jan than any other months. We've been to Aruba in July when schools are out and there are far more children then but unless you're going Thanksgiving week, there will not be many children at the resorts.

I would pick the cruise for the simple reason that I live in the northeast. The flight to Aruba with a couple of kids wouldn't be enjoyable. I'm not afraid of flying but I do have a tendency to get sick so can't read. For me flying is BORING.

If you are coming from California for example, it probably doesn't make much difference.

What answer did you expect on a cruise board ? :D

My opinion go with your initial decision. In fact next cruise book one that stops in Aruba. Check out the island and see it the family would be happy for a full week there.:)

Another vote for stick with the cruise.

We vacationed for a week in Aruba this past October when our Mexico vacation was cancelled because of the hurricane and frankly don't know what all the hub bub is about.

Hot dry island, not a lot to do if you don't gamble. Though I am glad I had the opportunity, would chose another island or a cruise over Aruba especially with young children. The water was not clear at all when we were there and a disappointment.

I didn't read all the responses, have to get to work. So sorry if I repeat but I would think children this young might get bored in one place for that long. I would.

The cruise has kids clubs which I know nothing about except what I have read but most reviews state the kids loved them. This way they can relax by the pool as they would do in Aruba during sea days. In the evenings they can do kids club the shows, eat and meet other kids. They go and see and do different things in the ports.

I like to cruise then get an idea where ww want to trade our timeshare for. It works so places I thought I would want to stay a week a day visit was more then enough.

Another vote for stick with the cruise.

We vacationed for a week in Aruba this past October when our Mexico vacation was cancelled because of the hurricane and frankly don't know what all the hub bub is about.

Hot dry island, not a lot to do if you don't gamble. Though I am glad I had the opportunity, would chose another island or a cruise over Aruba especially with young children. The water was not clear at all when we were there and a disappointment.

Tinker, If the water wasn't clear it may have had something to do with the tropical conditions that were so powerful last fall. Although Aruba is almost hurricane proof, I wonder if the storms would play havic on the water. I say this because I think the water in Aruba is as clear as anyplace I have seen and of course the sand is close to pure white. it is a desert island for sure with not a lot to do buy RandR, which makes it such a different place to vacation. I am glad you had a chance to spend time there and now can choose to vacation somewhere else. It certainly isn't for everybody. NMnita

My suggestion would be to have your TA check on a week at a Club Med that has a "mini club" for children. We did this for many years when our children were the ages of yours and it is simply wonderful. You and the children will have a blast.:D

Archived