Upsell question

I booked my 10/15 NCL Sun cruise through an online TA. Is it still posible to get a call from the Upsell fairy? This will be my 3rd cruise w/ NCL in 3 years and have never come into communications w/ the 'fairy'. Do you think this is because it was booked though the online TA?

I'm going on my sixth in four years and have never gotten a call. We have booked direct, on the ship from the previous cruise, with an internet travel agent and with a local T/A.

We have booked inside, outside and balcony. Never suite.

We have booked by ourselves and with other people.

I think it's a luck of the draw.

I'm hoping someday that upsell/upgrade fairy will sprinkle her magic dust.

We just got an upsell today. The NCL rep made me an offer that I felt was too pricey. I declined the offer.

But, while I had her on the phone, I mentioned that a client of mine is sailing in 2 weeks and would like to pay for a higher category. She took the info. down and lo & behold! I got a call a few hours later for my client and once again was offered an upsell. I accepted this one because my clients were pleased with the price.

Again, while I was on the phone with this agent, I mentioned that we were sorry we couldn't take advantage of the upsell that they offered me for my 2 bookings. To make a long story short, we ended up with 2 suites at a great price.

Here's my advice:

1. Have your TA (yes, even online TA agencies can do this) call NCL's reservations desk and ask the NCL agent to make a note in your file that you are VERY interested in an upsell. There's no guarantee this will work, but they do check the files.

2. Have your TA call NCL's upsell desk and try asking them to make a note that you're interested. I couldn't get through on that phone line, so that didn't work for me but it might for someone else.

I'm not sure if we got the call because the agency I belong to is a Top Account or what. We've never sailed with NCL before and she didn't know I'm a TA. I can't figure it out, but I will say that the minute they heard that someone I knew wanted an upsell, they were interested!

Good luck with it!

I was told last week from my TA that she called NCL and what they do is take the manifest and in order of the booking dates call for upsells. Period

Yes, this is what mine was told 2 weeks ago. My cruise looks sold out anyway so I doubt I would get a call for something better than what I already have. But you never know :)

Has anyone ever had an upsell from an inside? Seems like they are mostly balconies to suites. I was in a balcony, but just downgraded to an inside for a number of reasons and was wondering about the possibility at getting a balcony on an upsell

Has anyone ever had an upsell from an inside? Seems like they are mostly balconies to suites. I was in a balcony, but just downgraded to an inside for a number of reasons and was wondering about the possibility at getting a balcony on an upsell

Yes, I got an upsell from an inside to a balcony. That was on the Spirit back in February. It's definitely possible, but it all depends on the sailing and how fully booked the ship is.

My last cruise (Dec on the Jewel) we were upsold from and inside to a balcony. Sorry but I don't remember the amt. BTW-normally upsells occur in the final couple weeks before sailing. I asked our TA to contact NCL to have my file marked as interested in an upsell, but this sailing was so undersold that they actually made us an offer when he called and this was PRIOR to final payment. I was stunned-we were upsold from an inside to a balcony gty and assigned a BA.

However, from what others are posting, they won't even take calls from TAs now (but the post from Lady Jag would seem to conflict w/this-if I read it correctly)

-Monte

ladyjacg - what cruises are you and your client booked on?

We're on the POH this month & my client is on the Jewel in a couple weeks, why?

Also, they don't do upsells according to when you booked. How do I know? Because my client booked at a totally different time than we did - we're talking maybe 6 months apart. We got the call at the same time.

There's some other way they do the upsells...not sure exactly what it is, but it's not by booking date.

I read where someone else on our cruise was getting a call about 2 weeks before me, so I think they were starting to work on cruises that were about 5weeks out from the sail date all the way up to 10 days prior to the cruise. At least that's been my experience so far...

We're on the POH this month & my client is on the Jewel in a couple weeks, why?

Also, they don't do upsells according to when you booked. How do I know? Because my client booked at a totally different time than we did - we're talking maybe 6 months apart. We got the call at the same time.

There's some other way they do the upsells...not sure exactly what it is, but it's not by booking date.

Please let us know how it is. We just booked today on POH for OCtober sailing. I am curious about the pool area and kids programs. If you can get any info to share when you get back I would really appreciate it. Have FUN!!!!!!!!!!

We always book with an online TA. Used him for years as he has always gotten me the best prices. This year will be our 3rd cruise booked through him and 3rd on NCL AND 3rd up-sell. First was from a standard BA Balcony on the Dawn to the Romance Penthouse Suite. Last year was from a lower AD Penthouse "up-grade" to the same Romance Penthouse as the year before. This year (July 22nd cruise on the Spirit) from an AD Penthouse Suite to an AA Owners Suite for a GREAT price. It helps being a squeeky wheel, though. I laways tell my TA that I'm interested in an up-sell. And, I NEVER take NCL's first offer. I always negotiate with them. I got the Owners Suite this year for $400 p/p less then their original offer to me. I love NCL and will contiue to sail with them. Especially in suites as they really know how to pamper you.

That's good to hear, logcabin. We're in an AA and our sons are in an adjoining AC. Looking forward to the pampering, but not too sure about the forward position of these cabins. Hope all is okay with the motion.

Cruisingmommie - I'll definitely report back. My 14 yr. old and I are looking forward to the water slide! :D I think Julie Zimmer on the board has a link to some kids' program schedules if you want to check them out. Here's the link:

http://community.webshots.com/album/550693567lYqXtS

She also has some wonderful pictures of the POH. Enjoy your cruise in October! ;)

We always book with an online TA. Used him for years as he has always gotten me the best prices. This year will be our 3rd cruise booked through him and 3rd on NCL AND 3rd up-sell. First was from a standard BA Balcony on the Dawn to the Romance Penthouse Suite. Last year was from a lower AD Penthouse "up-grade" to the same Romance Penthouse as the year before. This year (July 22nd cruise on the Spirit) from an AD Penthouse Suite to an AA Owners Suite for a GREAT price. It helps being a squeeky wheel, though. I laways tell my TA that I'm interested in an up-sell. And, I NEVER take NCL's first offer. I always negotiate with them. I got the Owners Suite this year for $400 p/p less then their original offer to me. I love NCL and will contiue to sail with them. Especially in suites as they really know how to pamper you.

logcabin,

How do you normally negotiate with the upsell desk. Do you just deny their offer or do you counteroffer?

Archived