Is it safe to leave valuables on Captain Marvin's boat when we're with the stingrays?

Quilting_Cruiser

My girls and I are booked with Captain Marvin in GC for our upcoming cruise. We'll have underwater cameras when we're in the water with stingrays, but I'd like to take my digital camera as we've added on the turtle farm and Hell tour. Is it safe to leave my backpack on Captain M's boat with my digital camera in it?

Thanks!

Jayne

I can only tell you my experience. Less than two weeks ago, I did - and nobody messed with my stuff. They were all in the water, too. Captain Marvin's tour had very much a "family" flavor, so that those who did come up out of the water were watching their loved ones in the water. I felt completely comfortable.

I was just there a couple of weeks ago also and I agree with centerpoint, it felt like I was with family.

Now you have to ask youself, do you trust your family??:D

Seriously, Captain Marvin's is absolutely fantastic, even for the hesitant like my 18yo daughter. They gave her alot of personal attention to make sure she had a great time.

I totaly agree with the other posters...

I've done Capt. Marvin's excursion 3x times with my 4th booked for Aug. '06 My kids can't get enough of swimming with the stingrays!

Don't worry about keeping items on the boat...just about everyone was in the water, including the first mate and the captain (not Capt. Marvin himself). We kept all our valuables in our beach bag onboard everytime with no problem. Have a great trip!

• 1 month later...

Here's another possibility. Depending upon what type of digital camera you have, you can buy a waterproof case for it. I have a Canon, and purchased a case for it for both underwater pictures and just general 'protection' (like on the beach, if it rains, etc). I used it in Bermuda and have AMAZING pictures and video of the fish and coral.

We've left our things on the boat both times we used Captain Marvin's, and had no problems. It was something I worried about, but there were only 20 or so people on our tour, so I really didn't give it a thought. I really think if anyone had had a problem, we'd would have heard something by now...and I've been here three years and not once have I read where someone had anything taken from them...on CM's or any of the tours, for that matter.

We really enjoyed Captain Marvin's because they made us feel like we were "family." :)

Thanks for the recent replies. Our tour with Capt. Marvin's was the first week of August and I did take my digital camera and left it on the boat in my backpack. I was very comfortable doing that. As other posters said, everyone was in the water!

It was a great time!

Cheers,

Jayne

:)

I've emailed Captain Marvin twice now. Last time 2 weeks ago and still no reponse from him about booking our trip in October. Any suggestions? Does he usually not respond?

I'm so surprised to hear this! Ruth at Captain Marvin's was very responsive before our tour with them and answered all of my e-mails promptly. The e-mail address is info@captainmarvins.com.

Jayne

I've emailed Captain Marvin twice now. Last time 2 weeks ago and still no reponse from him about booking our trip in October. Any suggestions? Does he usually not respond?

That is very unusual. I've heard from Ruth or Joan very promptly. In fact, they helped us when we were looking for a condo for the week. Very helpful and very nice people.

We've used them twice before and plan on using CM's when we go back this coming January.

No problem with leaving things on the boat. We did with no qualms. Most of the crew is in the water with you, and usually there are a few passengers who just prefer to watch as well.

We did have Capt. Marvin himself on our boat last year and he was nearly 89 at that time!!! Tall, thin, sun-browned and very well-preseved. I think it's marvelous that he can still be actively engaged in his passion at that age.

Archived