Florida advice this time round

Patch Nelson

Hi Patch

My only bit of advice from renting cars in the US quite a few times is to book the cheapest one they have before you arrive, when you get there they must be on incentives to upgrade you, they offer really cheap deals (MUCH MUCH cheaper than the advertised rates) to get you to spend more than you planned, you may not be a risk taker, but I always do it and they have hundreds of cars there so it would be very unlikely that you would not be able to get the type of vehicle you want, it seems to be the same over all the big airport car hire companies, i've used several and always found it the same.

By the way we have never had any problems driving on the other side (of the road or the pond!) as absolutely everything is reversed and roundabouts are shaped so you can only go one way into them (as are ours) its actually practicallly impossible to make mistakes.

The biggest problem I had in the US was in San Fran, we rented a huge Lincoln, driving up the ramp of the hire place onto the street and up some of the steeper hills the view of the bonnet (Hood) completely filled the windscreen which was quite terrifying I just had to go and hope for the best!!

Where you are going you will not even see a hill its flat all the way, it is a long, boring and characterless drive on the motorway (sorry for that to any locals) having said that if you get the chance to go to the Florida keys towards Key West, the road then becomes wonderful driving along bridges close to the water between lots of islands for hours, it seems endless! to me that was much more fun than the theme parks which I didn't think were any better than Alton Towers, as rediculous as that may sound! Its another one of those boxes we all need to tick though, I'm sure you will have a wonderful time..... Mark

Archived