Want to go to St George

Sue L

Hi All,

We are going on the Explorer in Sept and we only dock in King's Wharf. DH really wants to go to the forts near St George and we would prefer to do it on our own instead of a ship's tour.

What is the best way to get there? I have seen mention of bus/ferry passes, where do they sell these?

What is the fastest way to get to St George would it be a taxi or the buses? How long would these take?

If anyone has been to the forts which one is better, I have found a lot of info on St Catherines fort but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sue

All of the Forts are good.

You will be docked inside the Royal Navy Dockyard which is also part of the Fort system. Also in Dockyard is the Bermuda Maritime Museum. They are located in a Fort within a Fort. This is within easy walking distance from where your ship will be docked.

Some of the Forts have interesting exhibits, some just offer a good view and the time to explore them.

The Maritime Museum has the most Comprehensive Exhibits. Do a search on "Bermuda Maritime Museum" to find their website.

Of the St George's Forts, St Catherine's houses a small museum. The others are small and just for exploring. They are not on a regular bus route but once you get to St George's they are a short taxi ride away if you are not in shape or you can walk to them if you do not mind a good walk up and down hills.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Happy Travels

Cindy

I recently returned from Bermuda. The ferry is definetly the way to get from King's Wharf to St. George's. It only costs $12 for the day pass, and it takes about 45 minutes. The bus would take two-hours. A taxi would take at least an hour, and it would be cost prohibitive (>$50 each way).

I recently returned from Bermuda. The ferry is definetly the way to get from King's Wharf to St. George's. It only costs $12 for the day pass, and it takes about 45 minutes. The bus would take two-hours. A taxi would take at least an hour, and it would be cost prohibitive (>$50 each way).

I agree with jmo1, the ferry is the best option. Not only is it just as fast as a taxi (55 -60 minutes), but it is cheaper. The bus pass allows unlimited use of both the ferries and the buses. A real bonus is the great ocean views you will have on the ferry ride. You will see all the North shore of Bermuda to the St George cut. As you start to curve around the end of St George, Fort St Catherine is right in front of you. It is also the site of the shipwreck of the Sea Venture, where the original settlers struggled ashore in 1609. The next fort is Fort Albert, set inland a little bit. As you reach the cut to turn into the harbor of St George, Fort Gates is located right there. It is the oldest built in 1620. Fort St Catherine's has nice exhibits: diaromas, small arms and copies of the British Crown Jewels. I assume your DH is a history buff, then he would like to see the Bermuda National Trust Museum. This is the former Globe Hotel, headquaters of the Confederate representive Captain Walker. During the Civil War, this is where the blockade runners did business both coming and going. You can also make a copy of the Great Seal of the Confederacy. Open from 10 AM to 4 PM and admission is $4. Remember the last ferries to the Dockyards leave at 3PM and 3:45 PM. If you want to extend your day in St George, you can take the bus to the dockyard or go to Hamiltion and then take the ferry to the dockyard. The Hamiltion ferries run late, the last ones to the dockyard are at 9, 10 and 11 PM. If you do this option you can stop at the Swizzle Inn just outside of St George. It is a famous tourist place, supposedly invented the rum swizzle. You also can get a "Dark and Stormy", a combination of black rum and ginger beer, a local favorite. While your cruise ship is docked, the marketplace shops in the dockyard are open until 10 PM. There is a rum cake factory and a glass blowing shop. On Tuesday night there is also street festivals in both the Dockyard and St George. If you still want to see forts, the best one is only 500 feet from your ship. The Bermuda Maritime museum contains exhibits, a fort, the Commander's house (more exhibits and an outstanding coin collection, wreck treasure etc.) and Dolphin Quest. Hope this helps.

NCL Majesty Aug 2004

NCL Majesty Sept 2005

NCL Majesty 9/17/2006

Dear Writeratsea,

Thank you for all the info! It sounds like you are a history buff also, you really think that the fort right at the Dockyards is the best? Or is there a fort that I didn't mention that would be better. Is it still worth it to go to St George? I kind of twisted his arm to go on this cruise and I want to make sure he really enjoys himself.

Sue

PS At the two forts in San Juan, I sat on a bench with my book and he ran all over the forts looking into every nook and cranny he was like a little kid in a candy shop.

The fort at Dockyards is definately bigger than the forts in St. Georges but St.Georges is a wonderful place to wander around. It has maintained a lot of its 17th century charm and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. If you're more interested in history than going to the beach then St Georges is definately worth the visit.

At Dockyards you can sit at Snorkel Park (free admission) while your husband explores the fort. Maybe you could do that after you return from St Georges. :)

Dear Writeratsea,

Thank you for all the info! It sounds like you are a history buff also, you really think that the fort right at the Dockyards is the best? Or is there a fort that I didn't mention that would be better. Is it still worth it to go to St George? I kind of twisted his arm to go on this cruise and I want to make sure he really enjoys himself.

Sue

PS At the two forts in San Juan, I sat on a bench with my book and he ran all over the forts looking into every nook and cranny he was like a little kid in a candy shop.

I am guilty as charged. I am definitely an inveterate history buff, always asking why. And my wife also reads a book whiles she waits for me while I explore the museums, battlefields and forts. LOL The Maritime Museum is the best organized of the forts. By that I mean that the exhibits, the displays in the Commanders House and the various barracks is more extensive than elsewhere on the island. But by the same token, I was recommending St George to strike a balance with activities for both of you to enjoy. This is why I mentioned the Swizzle Inn. St George was the original Capital and consequently has more historical areas than elsewhere in Bermuda. I also think the Confederate Museum would be fun. I missed it last year and my wife knows she owes me a visit. There is also the Tucker museum and some other nice historical houses. Some good restaurants such as the Carriage House and the White Horse Pub. It is easier for me to choose as we are on the Majesty and dock in St George for 3 1/2 days. If your DH enjoys Bermuda and wants to see more, then this itinerary might appeal to him for a later trip. Even if you go with the St George option, you can have the Maritime Museum on Wednesday as well. If you do another cruise to Bermuda, then you go to Fort Scaur located in Somerset, near the dockyard and Fort Hamilton located in Hamilton. Hope this helps.

NCL Majesty Aug 2004

NCL Majesty Sept 2005

NCL Majesty 9/17/2006

i've been twice to Bermuda, and visited two forts: fort Catherine and fort Hamilton. i'd have to say Cathrine was more interesting, just because it has some museum pieces as well and gun collections and extensive underground passages, but fort hamilton was awesome just because of it's age and some old moldy catacombs - and, the view over hamilton. i'm not going to spoil it by posting pictures, but these catacombs are a sight to see.

whichever port you choose, you won't be sorry.

btw, we saw catherine with a tour group and fort hamilton on our own. both ways was fun, but even if you take a tour, they let you wander anyway.

Archived