Problem on RCCL - What type of Compensation do I expect? (merged)

Look at all the hits on this thread! :::waving to Darren::: I say we keep it alive. They are hoping it will just "go away" in a few days. This is prime example of how Royal Caribbean's customer service is just non-existant! When will they learn that WE pay their salaries? Fastest way to bankrupt a company is for the patrons to take their business elsewhere. WAKE UP - RCCI!!

OK.....

If by chance you find a problem in your cabin on the FIRST day, you report it FIRST day (and if necessary you do not place your stuff in the cabin as when you do, you are accepting that cabin as fit for use).

How the dickens can you expect a company to cure the problem if they do not know about it immediately?

They are not mind readers, the cabin steward may not be aware of a problem...it takes 2 minutes to let him know.

How hard is that to understand?

Or is it a case that some people are so compensation orientated that reporting things and having them sorted immediately is alien to them?

OK.....

If by chance you find a problem in your cabin on the FIRST day, you report it FIRST day (and if necessary you do not place your stuff in the cabin as when you do, you are accepting that cabin as fit for use).

How the dickens can you expect a company to cure the problem if they do not know about it immediately?

They are not mind readers, the cabin steward may not be aware of a problem...it takes 2 minutes to let him know.

How hard is that to understand?

Or is it a case that some people are so compensation orientated that reporting things and having them sorted immediately is alien to them?

It doesn't matter when the OP reported this. It should have been handled when it was brought to the attention of the crew. It wasn't and that is the problem. Some of us can also use our common sense.:rolleyes:

Why the nasty tone with this post? Give the OP a break.

The post wasn't a nasty tone. It was a person's opinion. One of the reason's WHY the cruiselines don't take these boards too seriously is because they know posters tend to be a "critic" and bash someone's post because they disagree. In order to make a thread serious - it's not about the LENGTH of the thread - it's the context. CC doesn't have the weight some posters think it does. All this "waving" to Darien is hillarious. They are too busy working to be reading through pages of comments.

Goldryder - don't even bother rationalizing your position. Your comment on the issues log was right on. There is also a incident report they have if the OP went to the front desk immediately. It's a 3 part document where they have the passenger fill out the issue and it's sent to maintanence.

No, busboy, imho.

It seems to me that the most alarming part of this story is the Hotel Director's indifferent attitude in handling the situation. Totally unprofessional. The man should be demoted to assistant stateroom attendant.

We all save up and spend our hard earned cash to go on a cruise to have fun and enjoy ourselves. if i had walked into room with a soggy carpet and a smell I would have been so disappointed. My reaction would be to go to reception and request a room change. If I am going to cruise for 9 days I want to spend 9 days enjoying myself not worrying about how things are to be dealt with.

I would have accepted the room change straightaway, even though it was inside and not what I had saved up for and booked. If there is nothing else then that is what I would have to accept.I would give RCI the opportunity to correct something first before requesting any money. However I would request a refund of the difference and something for the inconvenience. With it all sorted in the first day then I have the rest of the cruise to enjoy.

I think that by leaving it a while to do anything you do make it difficult for yourself. In effect you have accepted that the stateroom was acceptable (even though it was not). In this case I would accept the offer as made. I would imagine that if it went to a court of law there would not be a strong case and you may have to suffer more in court costs.

OK... Here goes...my opinion, not going to be popular here.

I don't doubt Rich had a problem with his cabin. However, when he was offered to move to another cabin, he didn't. That showed RCI he was willing to put up with the problem. If it truly was that bad, he should have never agreed to stay in that cabin. I'm pretty sure he would have been compensated for the difference in price, maybe not right away on board, but after the cruise. And if not, go to credit card company, cause if he did move to an inside, he didn't get the balcony that he paid for. He never mentioned that if he did move, that he even asked about the difference in price. Now, as far as spending all his time, on his vacation, on here trying to get people to gang up on RCI, is further ruining his vacation. Why spend the rest of his vacation writing on a message board that will do nothing to solve his problem? I'm not sticking up for RCI, nor have I taken sides on this issue. However, we are only hearing one side of the story. Do we really know what all was offered?

And also, I feel all this "waving to Darien" is ridiculous. I sure if Darien, or anyone else from RCI reads this thread, they all see your cute countdown clocks with all your upcoming, booked cruises. To all of you that are waving and have a future cruise booked with RCI, is this thread enough to make you cancel your cruise? I didn't think so. So how is this affecting RCI? Not much, IMHO.

Putting on flame retardant suit and zipping it up tightly over my head!:D

Moreso than the soggy stinky carpet, I sit here stunned about the insinuation that cruises are cheap and complaining passengers are all out to get "something for nothing". As a generally happy, reasonable, friendly person, those sorts of comments would have coaxed out Mrs. Hyde for sure!

While I do feel like cruises provide a lot of vacation value for the dollar, the main allure has been that I am made to feel like a queen for the week...not some cheap nuisance of an intruder.

At this point, I feel it is important for RCI to do *something* to indicate that the disdain shown to Rich is NOT the new corporate culture, but simply the actions of one arrogant jerk in a job which is obviously inappropriate for him.

T

So I guess "stop, drop and roll" really does work!:eek:

Oh yes....most definately ;) :D

(Just mind the carpet doesn't run its colour onto your clothes while you are rolling and squelching all over it ;) )

Leave it to Goldryder and Clarkwgriswald to pop in and make me laugh! :D

I am mad at RCI and it's not just this. I've seen a decline in customer service that bothers me, but what really upset me was the comment made to the OP that when rich people sailed they got good treatment, but now that the common man sails they can't expect that. I know it's a paraphrase, but it does seem to permeate the industry these days. The common man deserves a beautiful vacation too.

Leave it to Goldryder and Clarkwgriswald to pop in and make me laugh! :D

You gotta have a laugh sometimes...go with the flow (of water) and in the direction of the pile of the carpet too (no friction burns then ;) )

:D :D

I agree with Goldryder.

If the cabin was unacceptable, the first or second day of the cruise I would have moved to the inside cabin. Of course the difference between the balcony and inside should have been refunded. A $300 dollar credit would be appropriate also.

If I did not find this acceptable, I would ask to get off at the next port with RCCL paying my airfare home and 100% refund of the cruise.

Waiting all this time, I agree is going out to eat , you get the wrong dinner and eat it and then ask for a refund.

The attitudes of the staff, I can't comment on since I wasn't there. But what if they gave a 100% refund and then Rich said it is not enough. In one way Rich did threatened RCCL by posting bad reviews which he did.

Whatever profession you are in, do you give away you services when your customers complain? Especially when the magnitude of the problem is in dispute?

I understand Rich is upset but once again what is the damage, by his own actions accepting an unacceptable cabin he was in passive agreement that it was ok.

What about the surrounding cabins, I would be upset, especially if I was in the room where the water leaked. I bet they can't use the shower....they deserve something?

What about the trail of water leading outside the room, I can't believe a leak of the size would not extend into the hall.

Alex

Whhen Rich has to spend the better part of a 9 day cruise hasseling with an obviously uncaring staff, why bother to sail with RCC? RCC has clearly demonstrated not only terrible customer service at all levels, they do not seem to realize the potential infection control issues. What is up with this company?:(

With 40 cruises with Celebrity and having been in every ship except Expeditions we have had our share of problems, none of course the magnitude of this one. We have never been denied access to the Hotel Manager. Three tongue in cheek complaints about the bad picture on our TV got us a upgrade to an outside cabin. In the few cruises we have with RCCL we have not had any problems but it's a feeling that they are not as accommodating as X. Once at a CC party they showed with nice gifts, five minutes after the start time the packed up their gifts and left without a word. The parties on X rate a visit from the Cruise Director. Although the Diamond perks are much better than X's Elite. ~ Rick

and remember folks, this is the internet ! :eek:

If one thing I have learned in life, I listen to both sides of the story.

Looking very forward to my cruise ! :D

Sue

I maybe unpopular for saying this but there are two sides to every story.

If I checked into a room where everytime I had to exit or use the bathroom my foot got wet, that is an unexceptable situation. Imagine in a short period of time the whole room would be wet! Every time you let the room there would be footprints in the hall. I would not have accepted the room at check in or stayed in the room. Also I would have taken pictures of situation and brought them done to the front desk. I have checked into hotel rooms which I felt unacceptable and got reassigned or left for another hotel.

Now according to the meeting, RCCL is saying that it was a small confined area most from what I can tell was in the closet and that the offer to change the carpet was made.

When we were on one cruise , half the time the toliet didn't work. Did I let it ruin our cruise? Absolutely not.

Did I ask for compensation for the inconvience , no I didn't? Did I report it, yes on a daily basis.

$300 credit plus the clothes being cleaned and an alternate room is in my opinion a decent compensation....I still don't know what the damages where. It seems like the situation didn't impair you from enjoying the ports, the shows, the food. It can take up to 12 days for mold to grow.

Yes, this is an infortunate situation. But I would love to hear RCCL version.

But it DID impair him from enjoying the ports, shows, food etc. Who could relax and enjoy, with all the meetings and no results, going on? Not I. It would have seemed like work, not a vacation.

We all save up and spend our hard earned cash to go on a cruise to have fun and enjoy ourselves. if i had walked into room with a soggy carpet and a smell I would have been so disappointed. My reaction would be to go to reception and request a room change. If I am going to cruise for 9 days I want to spend 9 days enjoying myself not worrying about how things are to be dealt with.

I would have accepted the room change straightaway, even though it was inside and not what I had saved up for and booked. If there is nothing else then that is what I would have to accept.I would give RCI the opportunity to correct something first before requesting any money. However I would request a refund of the difference and something for the inconvenience. With it all sorted in the first day then I have the rest of the cruise to enjoy.

I think that by leaving it a while to do anything you do make it difficult for yourself. In effect you have accepted that the stateroom was acceptable (even though it was not). In this case I would accept the offer as made. I would imagine that if it went to a court of law there would not be a strong case and you may have to suffer more in court costs.

Thanks EJ for posting this. When I was reading this I thought the exact same things. icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif

Thanks Rich...for sharing your awful experience with us. I have been reading this for the past few days and wondered to myself...just what would I do in this case; hind sight is 20/20 but...: I would have gone to housekeeping immediately on the first day and then I would have insisted on a cabin change until the problem was 100% rectified. I would have taken an inside cabin with the understanding that I could return to my regular cabin when everything was fixed. Of course I would have asked for compensation...the price difference between the two cabins while I remained in the inside cabin...and I would have insisted the amount would go on my credit card...not my sea pass.

Now your problem is that this whole thing snowballed as time went on. You have only one solution left to you...and that is to satisfactorily settle the dispute. If you cannot...then you have to work on Mr. Fein...that will be the only route left to you. Conde' Nast is a good route also but it is not guaranteed.

GOOD LUCK!!!

The OP's most recent entry provides logical explanations for everything. What he did was handle this in the most professional way given the cirmcumstances and his desire to enjoy the cruise.

I do not understand the lame RCCL defenders of some of the recent posts - are they reading the OP's words? It's understandable to be loyal to your favorite cruise line, but the way this customer was treated was TOTALLY unacceptable, and if it is an example of where RCCL is going and how they feel about us "cheap" cruisers, then I'll take my hard-earned dollars elsewhere.

But it DID impair him from enjoying the ports, shows, food etc. Who could relax and enjoy, with all the meetings and no results, going on? Not I. It would have seemed like work, not a vacation.

Not if he had reported the problem day one and before unpacking. He was offered another cabin, he should have taken it and sorted the balance difference out on day one.

It does not matter how many say how bad it was, HE accepted the cabin as fit for use the moment HE walked into it and unpacked. By doing that he just hung himself. If you find that your cabin is not right, you leave your bags in the hallway with the partner/spouse and go to reception IMMEDIATELY...not 24 hours later. And by turning down the what could have been a temporary cabin (temporary in respect to that the crew would have sourced the problem and repaired it - had they been given the chance to), he again accepted that the original cabin was acceptable and that his complaint was spurious.

Its no good whining about something after the event, you got to get off your backside and open the mouth and make yourself heard, being a quiet little mouse doesn't get things done to an acceptable level. You pay for a decent cabin, if it doesn't live up to your expectations then say something AT THE EARLIEST OPPORTUNITY, and definately before you unpack the cases, its as simple as that.

Coming on here slagging the line won't earn your problem any credibility cos they will turn round and quite rightly say that if you could spend the time typing about how hard done by you feel etc on a website, you could have reported the problem to them on the ship straight away and have had it dealt with and sorted properly. The OP is using this site as his very own soapbox, which is fine, but its only going to make him look silly in the eyes of RCI cos he is telling the wrong people about his woes. He should have been as venomous to them, not the rest of the world.

I am truly amazed at the criticism of this guy by some of the people on this thread. If you noticed in his profile, he is young and likely not someone who has been on 15 cruises like some people on this board. Therefore, he was obviously looking for advice (not "I would have done this" accompanied by a "you screwed up" tone). If time machines were in existence then maybe that kind of post would be helpful. Show your wisdom not your criticism...:mad:

That being said, there is no doubt that the staff on this ship truly messed up in the way they handled things. Their job is to make the customer (within reason) feel like queens/kings for the week they are there. When that kind of customer service attitude is present then it carries all the way from the top down to the cabin steward. IMO, Rich should NEVER have had to go to the front desk to complain about the wet carpet...the cabin steward should have noticed it and reported it and then Rich should have been approached up front to discuss the situation and been offered appropriate (and agreed upon) scenarios to satisfy he and his wife so they could get on and enjoy their cruise.

Stop blaming the customer...RCCL's people were not proactive and we pay them thousands for our cruises to be so. We should not be expected to be the experts on how to handle these types of situations...they should!!!! Obviously that is not the case for these staff people.

I would not hold this against all of RCCL and I am looking forward to my upcoming cruise on the Mariner. However, if I were going to be looking at the particular ship he cruised on, I would likely change my mind.

Archived