Problem on RCCL - What type of Compensation do I expect? (merged)

OH my gosh...I hope and pray you got video of this carpet mess before it was pulled! You need proof of what you have had to deal with!

I am an avid photo/video person....it has saved me a lot of hassle over the years in various situations.

(forgot to add) My 14 yr old asthmatic son would have been in the first aid area on day 2....he could NOT have tolerated the moldy carpet at all..it would have been a disaster for us health wise.

best of luck to you...what a mess!

Esmerelda

Thanks for your responses. Keeping in mind that while on board, I was offered 10% towards a future cruise, they did MUCH MUCH better than that. The solution (after the fact) was talking to the on board resolution department. That was the key. The person on the other end listened & agreed with my points. Then he made an offer based on how many days it was a problem.

I think it was fair, in the future I know how to handle problems on board (and how not to handle problems). I hate to say that going through the "food chain" while on board is a mistake, but I would go straight to the top as quickly as possible in the future.

If the carpet had not been an issue, it would have been a great cruise as the other services were very good.

The treatment by the mgt staff on board was sub par but who knows if they ever went to check out my room.

Oh, the long delay in responding was I wanted to have the certificates in hand before posting.

I suppose that the amount of compensation showed that RCI did indeed think it was a big problem & not something that was made up.

When we spoke about issues, Darren kicks off the conversation by saying "in the past, cruising was an event that only the wealthy could afford. In that time, it was customary to give away free cruises with the slightest problem on a ship".

Now (read - cheap charlie) crusing is something that everyone can afford, so the compensation has been decreased to go with the times.

This sounds like something someone that likes to hear them selves talk would say!

If, as YOUR compensation he gave you the "...it was customary to give away free cruises with the slightest problem on a ship". then the amount of compensation would have automatically been "decreased to go with the times". since , as he so eloquently stated: "cruising is something that everyone can afford"

WHAT A PUTZ

What he told you was "the wealthy" deserved better compensation

Good Luck!

SCREW THAT!!! :D

I want to know how much of a credit!!! Give me details darnit! Details!!!!

:D

I read this entire thread a few days ago and when everyone was being so polite about not needing to know the amount, I felt the same as sas80. I thought the idea was to exchange info to find out what fair compensation was for bad situations. If the OP said 1/2 credit, we can all have a bench mark for any possible issues in the future. People were quick to give suggestions on how much he should get, now they don't need to know the result???? I've invested too much time in this thread to walk away empty handed:o

If the OP said 1/2 credit, we can all have a bench mark for any possible issues in the future.

I dont mind sharing the information, my main concern is the benchmark. I guess every situation is different & to me the wet mildewed carpet that went on for 5 days was a serious hassle. If someone was complaining that the slider to their deck was noisey, that might not be as serious a complaint (or it might be to you).

To someone else, my carpet situation was nonsense & to others it was a huge issue. A benchmark is tough to figure.

This has been a highly interesting, maddening, instructive, and ultimately positive thread. Thanks to all contributors.

And to jrk23, hats off to you, sir! Your perseverance through the double travails of an uninhabitable cabin and the relentlessly inhospitable and stonewalling intransigence by the on-board managers is inspirational.

I wish us all better luck in crusing that we've seen here.

--Marne

Rich

I too am happy for you!!!

No need to post your compensation as long as YOU are satisfied. It makes me feel good towards RCL that they righted their wrong with you.

Tim

Rich............thanks for the whole story, and I'm very happy to see that RCCL has taken care of you to your satisfaction. That is THE most important thing, your satifaction!

Keep us informed to your future cruises, and may they be much better than this past experience.:)

Rick

How wonderful jrk23! I was "rooting" for you- you deserved the proper compensation. I'm glad that it was finally resolved. As it has been mentioned before, you handled yourself so well, and that I'm sure helped. Someone at RCCL finally realized you were genuine and not trying to rip them off so to speak. Kudos!:D

I read this entire thread a few days ago and when everyone was being so polite about not needing to know the amount, I felt the same as sas80. I thought the idea was to exchange info to find out what fair compensation was for bad situations. If the OP said 1/2 credit, we can all have a bench mark for any possible issues in the future. People were quick to give suggestions on how much he should get, now they don't need to know the result???? I've invested too much time in this thread to walk away empty handed:o

:D U & I are kindered Buddies!

No, but seriously - I want to know because of my natural voyeristic tendencies (we wouldnt be on this board if we didnt all have them to some degree) and because the problem seemed to amount to SUCH a headache that I am curious what kind of compensation you finally recieved.

I do agree that it is incredibly helpful for us readers/cruisers to know, not only what to expect in the way of trying to problem solve when it comes to RCCL, but what arguments/actions work, what doesnt (which the OP has covered in this thread) and what kind of compensation was given and did the OP feel it was fair for all the trouble he/she encountered.

I had my wedding through a sub contractor of Royal Caribbean. There were a few services at the reception that I paid for that were very much less than stellar... I wrote a detailed letter to the sub contractor, cc'd RCCL and did recieve a refund on the services. I was sure to let everyone know on the weddings board exactly what happened and what I recieved as a result - so that they would know that they didnt have to put up with anything less than they paid for.

Just like the OP found out - he didnt have to settle for anything less than he paid for.

Okay, now - AMOUNTS! WHAT WERE THE AMOUNTS!!!

:D

I dont mind sharing the information, my main concern is the benchmark. I guess every situation is different & to me the wet mildewed carpet that went on for 5 days was a serious hassle. If someone was complaining that the slider to their deck was noisey, that might not be as serious a complaint (or it might be to you).

To someone else, my carpet situation was nonsense & to others it was a huge issue. A benchmark is tough to figure.

SO SHARE!!!

I dont think you have much to worry about in the way of a benchmark....RCCL is not in the habit of just handing out cruise credits with ease (as you certainly found out!) :cool:

and I don't believe you need to give amounts. As long as you are satified it is not necessary to let anyone else know what you received unless you want to.

Don't let the nosey parkers intimidate you into giving information that is NOTB.

Thanks for your responses. Keeping in mind that while on board, I was offered 10% to wards a future cruise, they did MUCH MUCH better than that. The solution (after the fact) was talking to the on board resolution department. That was the key. The person on the other end listened & agreed with my points. Then he made an offer based on how many days it was a problem.

I think it was fair, in the future I know how to handle problems on board (and how not to handle problems). I hate to say that going through the "food chain" while on board is a mistake, but I would go straight to the top as quickly as possible in the future.

If the carpet had not been an issue, it would have been a great cruise as the other services were very good.

The treatment by the management staff on board was sub par but who knows if they ever went to check out my room.

Oh, the long delay in responding was I wanted to have the certificates in hand before posting.

I suppose that the amount of compensation showed that RCCL did indeed think it was a big problem & not something that was made up.

I'm really glad someone listened to your concerns and solved the problem for you. The fact that you are happy is great!!

My only questions and concern is the amount. I agree it was not any ones business until you came on and asked for peoples view. My concern is now for other who have a problem and have listened to you and given advice, and on here you have gotten a lot. I'm sure it helped in getting RCCl to solve the problem. Now not to say could put future cruiser at a disadvantage. People may not be so willing to help others after this.

Again congratulations and do what you think is right!

Rich, don't let someone bully you into saying something you feel better left private. I was so glad when the board turned and everyone was supportive again, the prior one got so negative. It feels like this is beginning to turn also.

I am glad it worked out and you held your ground. Good luck and happy cruising.

Caly

Archived