That unforgettable moment or experience?

sirarthur

What is your most unforgettable moment or experience (good or bad) on or regarding a cruise? So far mine was the time my wife surprised me on Christmas Eve with two cruise tickets for my first cruise--a Carribean cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. We were to leave a week later...a New Years cruise....

This is a HARD one ... because there are so MANY unforgettable moments, experiences, and events related to cruising.

One of my most unforgettable moments was the evening of departure from Vancouver on the Zaandam in route to and through the Panama Canal in late September 2004. There were many "unforgettable moments" on that cruise, but that first evening was special. We had passed under the Lions Gate Bridge about two hours before, in route to Victoria, and I was wandering the ship, taking photographs; we went out on the aft deck about 5 minutes before sun down and discovered that the Captain had brought the ship to a stop within view of the Lions Gate Bridge and Vancouver, and was slowly rotating the ship on her center of axis. The view was BREATHTAKING, and the Sundown was to die for.

Here ... share the "unforgettable moment."

van9.jpg

van8.jpg

van10.jpg

van11.jpg

I'll give some thought to some of the other "unforgettable moments" from my cruises. But, right now, that one moment really stands out.

I think for me one of those moments was the first time at stringray city on Grand Caymen. Just kneeling in that crystal clear water with those beautiful magestic creatures swimming all around me was just surreal. There were only 5 of us there and I will never forget the awe I felt to be in such a beautiful place experiencing God's magnificent creations.

It would probably be my first cruise about four years ago. I always thought that being on a ship would be too confining, and I was a land lover. But I remember walking up to the gang plank next to the ship and saying Wooow, this is much bigger than I thought it would be. Then standing next to the railing as we departed and had the sea breeze going in my face, I truly felt an awe of pleasure and happiness.

Nothing like that first experience (and been addicted ever since…).

John

On the Amsterdam in Antartica in 2004. Capt Peter Harris took the ship below the zero line. Only 3% of the people who go to Antartica get to go that far south. It was not on the itin. At 12:30am we saw the sun set, just fall into the water. Then 20 minutes later we saw it come right back up. The ship had not moved or changed position.

Yes, awesome pix, Greg.

For me there are many special moments. But one that leaps out is that first time getting into the water at Half Moon Cay. Just being in that pristine setting with the wonderful sand, turquoise water, colorful fishes swimming around me, and the Zuiderdam and Zaandam anchored in the distance ... wow!

In 1990 I went on my first cruise. While snorkeling in Grand Cayman I made the decision to learn to scuba dive. I got certified in 1995.

Eight years later I was on another cruise and once again stopped in Grand Cayman. Getting to scuba dive in the place that convinced me I had to learn was fantastic.

The first "experience" that comes to mind was on our first Inside Passage sailing to Alaska. While everyone else was busy with the first formal night activities, we sat on lounge chairs on a rarely used aft deck, cuddled up together with blankets around us, sipped champagne, and watched the sun set. We felt like we had our own private yacht. Absolutely heaven!

B

I think mine would have to be when Mom first stepped foot on the Ryndam in Alaska. I had cruised before but she hadn't and we took a 3 week Alaskan HAL cruisetour. We did the land portion first so I was dying to get her on the ship. The look on her face was priceless - she was like a little kid. Now she's hooked. We did the Rotterdam partway through the Panama canal and I hope to get her on a 30 day extended one soon. Her dream is to do the World Cruise which I hope to share with her one day.

#1 Sailing past the WTC site on Rotterdam out of New York harbor on 9/12/02

#2 Slowly pulling in to Amsterdam harbor behind the centraal station on Oosterdam on 9/21/03 still in darkness bringing back all the memories of growing up in that great city

Both moments brought tears to my eyes:o

Two U.S. Navy jets flying over the ship at a very, very, low altitude in the Caribbean. The carrier was about 7 miles away. The HAL captain granted permission to the captain of the carrier as the mother of one of the pilots was on board the ship. Two passes made over the ship.

By far, the most wonderful moment is walking onto the ship for the first time and hearing the crew say ~ Welcome Aboard ~

For us, this is the beginning of a memorable cruise :D

Most memorable would be leaving Antarctica after 4 incredible days. It was late at night and as we passed Elephant Island and a number of icebergs (with penguins on them) we entered a huge fog bank. Standing at the back of the ship and watching the icebergs fade into the distance and then the fog eveloped us and it was like the curtain coming down after the best show ever! I cried then, and I'm almost crying now remembering it.

There can't be just one!

1. The pristine beauty of Alaska: the fjords, glaciers, Aurora Borealis, whales, eagles etc.

2. Feeding the wild monkeys on St. Kitts

3. The somber moment of sailing by the WTC on 9/11/2004

And so many more !!!

The most memorable for me (albeit on another cruise line) was being able to sail right up to San Marco Square in Venice, turn our ship around and dock right at San Marco Square while Pavoratti was serenading us on the outdoor movie screen. Like being in a 30 storey building towering over the city and having everyone looking at us. Still gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. Unbelievable.

Sailing past the Stromboli volcano off of Sicily and getting the fireworks display of our life. Absolutely amazing.

Sailing out of New York Harbor on the maiden cruise of Noordam:

...standing on the verandah of the portside PH in our long coats enjoying our glasses of Champagne and taking photographs of one another as we enjoyed the view of sparkling Manhattan slipping past us in the twilight...

...then running across the ship to Stephen Card's Starboard PH to see the Statue of Liberty and practically scaring Ruth Card half out of her wits!

Sorry Ruth!

:o

I have to agree with both 2bout2c and Traveller 123 that my most unforgettable cruise moment was when we were down in Antarctica earlier this year. With the most perfect blue sky and unbelievable scenery, I had to pinch myself to believe that I was one of the fortunate few - only 250,000 of us - in this whole world who have had the privilege of being able to cruise in this pristine part of our world. It did bring tears to my eyes. :)

Jennie

1056827032_ANTARTICA4.JPG.4615895bb7312a9964656342f93213d9.JPG

Greg, those are great photos:)

WOW, I had not read this thread because I have been so very busy at work but Tom read everymorning before he has to go to work and told me abou this thread. I too have so many memorable moments. One was our very first cruise on HAL on the Zuirderdam and just plain being impressed, the second would be our very first S Suite. That cruise just seemed to be perfect in every way. And third would be finally after many cruises and vacations finally being able to see a Full Moon shine over the ocean. I personally always thought this would be so romantic but every vacation to Hawaii or cruise we just never went when there was a Full Moon. Our last cruise on the Ryndam there finally was. I just wish it had not been so darn cold so that we could have stayed ourside to enjoy it.

2821271920028362306BMOJXV_ph.jpg

Yet when all is said and done....nothing like the mystical entry into Istanbul, gliding silently in the predawn midnight-blue velvet sky.....sliding doors opened....first awakened by...what??? The calls to prayer from one minaret to another, from deep within the city to the edge of the water. The chants echoing against brilliantly lit golden spires of all shapes and sizes suspended in the sky like ornaments; all else dark, all else quiet. A moment of profound spiritual joy.

Blessings,

Gail

Wow-so many truly unforgettable moments! In no particular order, they are:

1. walking up to board the Ryndam for our very first cruise and being awed with how big it was (I'm still in awe each time we cruise);

2. Antarctica -- just awesome, three glorious days in a row on the Amsterdam: icebergs galore, snow covered mountains, penguins, the most unusual cloud formations I've ever seen-lots more;

3. seeing a whale breach fully out of the water on our first Alaska cruise (Ryndam);

4. Hubbard Glacier calving non-stop for 2 hours (Oosterdam); and

5. being on-board the Statendam when a real fire "killed" the ship! :eek:

Sailing out of New York Harbor on the maiden cruise of Noordam:

...standing on the verandah of the portside PH in our long coats enjoying our glasses of Champagne and taking photographs of one another as we enjoyed the view of sparkling Manhattan slipping past us in the twilight...

...then running across the ship to Stephen Card's Starboard PH to see the Statue of Liberty and practically scaring Ruth Card half out of her wits!

Sorry Ruth!

:o

LOL

Brian!

That WAS great!

And here's a photo from that wonderful day on Captain Card's Verandah!! :D

libertybrianscotty2.jpg

DH was seasick during his entire trans-Atlantic crossing (on HAL) from The Netherlands to Halifax in 1959, and swore that he would never, ever again voluntarily go out to sea. But years later, after 'practicing' (fishing and operating a runabout in the sheltered waters around Vancouver) for a number of years, he reluctantly agreed to try just once, because my experience had been the opposite to his, and I love being out on the water.

We took our first cruise together on the Ryndam in 1998, cruising the southern Caribbean. The best moment was when leaving St. Thomas, after shopping for most of the day (which he ordinarily despises), and he said "This is great! I am so glad we did this".

Famous last words, we have been cruising as much as we can ever since.

Archived