Late Arrival in St. Thomas - Should we still try for Trunk Bay?

CajunGroover

We have never been to St. Thomas or St. John. I am going to be on the Explorer of the Seas this month, and we are scheduled to be docked in St. Thomas from 1pm - 11pm on a Monday. I have read so much about Trunk Bay, that I would like to try getting there on our own, by taxi/ferry. Is it a good idea to try to do this arriving so late in the day? I think there is only one other cruise ship scheduled to be in port that day. Any advice?

We have never been to St. Thomas or St. John. I am going to be on the Explorer of the Seas this month, and we are scheduled to be docked in St. Thomas from 1pm - 11pm on a Monday. I have read so much about Trunk Bay, that I would like to try getting there on our own, by taxi/ferry. Is it a good idea to try to do this arriving so late in the day? I think there is only one other cruise ship scheduled to be in port that day. Any advice?

Hi Tessa,

Trunk Bay is beautiful! Its been several years since I went but I enjoyed it tremendously! The only problem I would see going on your own is finding a boat or ferry to get you there, you'd probably be better of trying to take the cruise ships tour. Just a suggestion, but I wouldn't bypass the chance of going especially since you will get there after the hottest part of the day. A memory you'll never forget! Have fun!

tcancienne, I don't see why you can't do the trip to Trunk Bay on your own. We've never been there, but We're planning on making the trip over to St. John on our own when we cruise there later this year. The ferry from Redhook runs every hour well into the night. Here's a link to the ferry schedule: http://www.*****/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/ .

Spend some time looking around the http://www.***** site. Lots of good info there.

Have a great time.

The first independent outing I took was over to St. John. It is VERY easy to do on your own, but you will miss all of the "fun" of being on an excursion with a bazillion :eek: other people! We went to Cinnamon Beach last time, and it is a wonderful beach, too. Just give yourself a couple of hours leeway when returning and you will be fine. We started packing up at 2 p.m., caught the 3 p.m. ferry back for a 5:30 departure from St. Thomas. We did not feel rushed at all.

Enjoy the island; she is a beauty!

We have the same issue, so as of now I am staying on St.Thomas,but for your inforamtion... I spoke with a manage at Caneel bay resort, St Johns who said I could use the facility for 0.00 yes free! The resort I have heard from friends is amazing, and I think right next to trunk bay.

Our ship will be in St thomas until late at night but we would not arrive in St Johns we figure until about 1pm, instead we are going to the wyndah sugar bay for the day and will pay a small fee. Here we will not worry about being stuck on an island when the ship leaves!

We have the same issue, so as of now I am staying on St.Thomas,but for your inforamtion... I spoke with a manage at Caneel bay resort, St Johns who said I could use the facility for 0.00 yes free! The resort I have heard from friends is amazing, and I think right next to trunk bay.

Our ship will be in St thomas until late at night but we would not arrive in St Johns we figure until about 1pm, instead we are going to the wyndah sugar bay for the day and will pay a small fee. Here we will not worry about being stuck on an island when the ship leaves!

Thanks for the info! I will check out Caneel Bay resort. There is also a tour of St. John available on the RCCL excursion list. I fiqure it will cost about the same as doing it on our own in taxi and ferry fares. You can do either an island tour, or a beach tour and get to see all of them. On the beach tour, you get to spend some time at Trunk Bay. What have you found out about the Wyndam Sugar Bay?

Archived