Sales tax on the price of the cruise?

When I posted the original message, I forgot their were so many types of taxes! I'm just wondering about Washington State Sales Tax for the cost of the cruise. Thank you everyone for the response and I apologize for being so vague... :)

I work in the tax area but I am not an expert on Washington State sales taxes. I did some research on this question. Frow what I found it looks like Washington does not tax water transportation services. I know on our recent cruise there was no sales tax listed on the invoice.

I hope that is the answer you were looking for.

On the last cuise we had Taxes & Fees (used to be called taxes & port charges) added to our basic cruise price, but don't know how it was broken down:) ..Also don't know if Florida charges a tax..

Only suggestion I have is go on the HAL site & pretend to make a booking..Go through the whole thing except don't put in a credit card...The HAL WEB site should compute the taxes & fees for you..Betty

If you go on the HAL website, call up the cruise that interests you, and go to the page with the pricing. After you choose the cabin category that you want, scroll to the bottom of the page where it says "For fare details...click here." It will show you the breakdown of the charges, including "taxes & fees."

It does not indicate just what type of taxes are included, but from the amount, I would guess that there is no state sales tax included, inasmuch as the same amount is added to everyone's fare whether they are in an inside cabin or a suite. I don't know about Washington State, but the sales tax in most states is a fixed percentage which is applied to the total amount of the purchase. Since everyone purchasing a cruise pays the same amount, I tend to think it is some other kind of tax....even though HAL is headquartered in Washington.

Every travel agent I have ever used....in Pennsylvania, Florida, and Nevada have all added the same tax amount as shown on the HAL website.....and nothing more. Let's don't give these states any ideas!:eek:

Archived