Excursions on Explorer of the Seas

micc

Just wondering what excursion for Bermuda should I book? Do I need transportation to get back to the ship? I'm with my 5 year old alone and I'm nervous about leaving the ship!

Get one-day bus / ferry passes for $12 each, and either take the 20-minute bus ride to Horseshoe Bay Beach, or the 20-minute ferry ride to Hamilton if you want to shop, or take the 45-minute ferry ride to St. George's for historic sites.

I think We're on the same cruise with you (7/23, from what you said on the RCI board). We won't have any children with us, but I can make a few suggestions based on what I've been reading here the last few weeks (this is our first trip to Bermuda, so none of this is from personal experience).

One thing that might be nice for you and your son in the Aquarium, and from what I've read, it's relatively easy to get there on public transportation, even with a young child. If your nervous about taking him there on public transportation, there is a ship's excursion that goes to the Aquarium as well as the Crystal Caves and does a tour around Bermuda. However, you would still have to get to Hamilton on your own, because that's where the excursion starts from. I think from what I saw, that excursion is only on the 2hd day in Bermuda. Also, I'm not sure how well a 5 year old would do at the caves, but you don't hae to go into them if you'd prefer not to.

Also, while I've read mixed reviews of the glass bottom boats, that's something that a 5 year old might enjoy, and there is a ship's excursion for that). There's also the trolley tour, and horse drawn carriage tour, both of which are near where the ship is docked, and each of which only last an hour - well within the attention span of a 5 year old.

One other suggestion is to wait until you're on the ship and see if you make friends with the parents of other children in the kids programs. You may then be able to join them on their excursions, which might provide some additional adult company and some extra pairs of eyes.

Hope this helps. Our son is 22 years old, so it's been a long time since I've had to think about planning for a young child.

Thank you so much for the tips and suggestions!! I signed up for the train tour and the carnival but I have second thoughts about the carnival. While I might enjoy it, I don't think my 5 year old will. So I might cancel that and switch to the glass bottom ship cruise. Thanks again and happy cruising!

Archived