Helicopter vs. plane tour of Kaua'i

dogdoc2002

We will be on the POAm in a few weeks, and would like to do an ariel tour over Kaua'i, but are on a budget. The helicopter trips sound really cool, but is it really worth $100 or more over the cost of a plane trip?

Anyone out there able to shed some light on this for us?

Thanks!!!

dogdoc2002

While I did my heli tour in Alaska, the flight experience would be very close. The one of the difference between a helicopter and a small plane is the manueverable of the helicopter. The helicopter also has the ability of hover, while a plane has to contintue to move or it will spiral drop from the sky.

The day we took our heli tour we there were sufficient clouds in Skagway to make me think that we were going to experience turbulance. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that helicopters don't react to wind currents like a plane does with gusts of wind.

I have also flown in a small private plane three times with my uncle. The ride was bumpy and slow compared to the jet helicopter that are used by most of the tour companies.

The best way I can describe the flight difference is a plane rides the air currents like a boat ridies on the waves, while a helicopter cuts through the air like submarine cuts through the water.

The landing and take offs are not only smoother in a helicopter they take a lot less time. So, you spend more time over the areas that you want to experience instead of sitting on a tarmac waiting for clearance to take off.

Can you tell that I am addicted to heli tours.

Archived