Venice cruise port questions

Hi -

Can anyone advise how to get from P.d Roma in Venice to the Splendour of the seas in October?

I heard that there may be shuttle busses to the ship - is this the best way, or Taxi, or how far is it to walk (elderly parents with luggage)? We plan on using the Vaperetto to Piazza de Roma which I believe is very close to the port.

Thank you....

Taf

We walked it with our luggage, but I wouldn't recommend it for elderly parents....it's a good 15 minute walk, over a railroad/highway overpass. I think a land taxi would be a good choice as it is a very short ride.

This is from the Marittima Cruise Terminal's website:

FROM PIAZZALE ROMA

Piazzale Roma is the only part of the city of Venice that can be reached by car. Here information point for public bus and vaporetti, as well as taxi station and guarded parking areas are available.

The cruise and ferry terminals can be reached by:

- Taxi cab (about 2 minutes trip).

- Bus n. 6/ stopping just outside the entrance to the passenger port. On Mondays, Saturdays and Sundays, when ships are performing homeport operations, a free of charge shuttle bus to/from Piazzale Roma- Cruise Terminal is available every 15/20 minutes for cruise passengers.

Here's a link to the website which has a good map of the terminal in relation to Piazzale Roma. If you check on 'Ship Schedules' you can see which berth Splendour will be in. (If the site comes up in Italian, click on the Union Jack for English.) http://www.vtp.it/pages/comeRaggiungerci/crociere.jsp?n=0

Susan-M

Great site. Thank you.

I checked it for the Golden Princess on October 5 and saw that it was in Berth 109. I went to the map and don't see Berth 109. Am I just missing it? Will someone go behind me and check? I'm not getting any smarter as I age!

The Grand docked at the pier between where it says 18 and 20 on the above map. We took a water taxi from the back door of the Locanda Oresolo directly to a small dock immediately in front of the Grand. 70 euros. Great way to get to the ship.

Yes, its a great map - thanks Susan M!

I have found the dock 117 - you have to click on the 108 box (????) It then brings up a more detailed docking map. Hope you can find it batoryfirst.

OK, it looks like a taxi for us - don`t want my mom to keel over before she gets on poard!!:D Otherwise a water taxi from our hotel sound like fun, and not as expensive as I´d imaged.

Thanks for the great advice, everyone!!

Batoryboy & Taf .... you're welcome .... I found the map really helpful last year when we were trying to decide how to get to P. Roma and the Sofitel.

Batoryboy - I found 109 by downloading the map - it's between 108 and 110 (same side) - I think on the map in the link above, 107 in black letters should be 109. Try this link, and just below where it shows "Directions...." there is an option to download the map. http://www.vtp.it/pages/navi/mappaCrociere.jsp

Splendour Comment:

We also walked it with our luggage, husband/wife/ & 18 yr olds.

Although the walk only took about 15/20 minutes, I would not do it with your parents. Take the free shuttle bus or take a cab.

We did take the free shuttle bus when we returned to Venice after the cruise. They are parked just outside the terminal (yellow building) after you pick up your luggage. It returned us to Piazzle Roma so thatwe could catch the Vaporetta to our hotel.

bus1.jpg.0e30b7886063798733cbd5027f0019b2.jpg

Splendour Comment:

We also walked it with our luggage' date=' husband/wife/ & 18 yr olds.

Although the walk only took about 15/20 minutes, I would not do it with your parents. Take the free shuttle bus or take a cab.

We did take the free shuttle bus when we returned to Venice after the cruise. They are parked just outside the terminal (yellow building) after you pick up your luggage. It returned us to Piazzle Roma so thatwe could catch the Vaporetta to our hotel.[/quote']

Great information but can you please tell me the location of the free shuttle bus to Splendour at Piazzle Roma. Also do you know the times they pick up passagers from PR. Hoping to use this free shuttle service next year. Thanks

That I do not know. We didn't know to even look for it. But now that you have seen the photo of what the bus looks like, you can look for it. Piazzle Roma is like a huge circular driveway where busses come into and pull into parking spaces. You can tell which ones are the city buses that head back over the bridge. The shuttle bus has a sign in the window like the one in my photo.

If you can't find it then plan on a 15 to 20 minute walk. If you are not comfortable with that you can grab a city bus or you can catch a land taxi. If you have lots of luggage then take the land taxi. We traveled light with wheeled small pilot bags.

Hi,

I am leaving July 30th on the Splendour and hope you can help me with a few questions.

Will there be signs telling you the way to go if you are walking to the ship from Piazzle Roma? Basically, is it easy to find?

How do you catch the vaporetta to your hotel? Do you know the charge per person and was it easy to get your luggage on? We are going to carry one wheeled suitcase each, do you think this will be a problem?

How many Lira should I take to Turkey? :confused: Are things expensive there? What about lunch per person?

Thanks for any help.

There are no signs to help you walk to the port, but what you do is head back over the bridge and stay on the left side of the street. As you are walking back over the bridge road-- DO NOT TAKE THE 1st turn on the left as you are walking that says Passenger Terminal. That is the wrong road. You have to walk a little futher and take the 2nd road on your left. This second road is much busier and has lots of cars turning down it heading to the port. At the bottom is small round about and you must go around it. You'll start to see signs for RC and Costa, just keep heading in the general direction of the ships. There is also a security guy that will help you. Stick to the sides of the road once you get past the round about as there are buses, cars etc driving around. After the round about and the security guy, we stayed towards the right side of the road and then you will finally see a mass of people around a white building in the center. This is where both Costa and RC passengers were dropping their luggage off. Costa was first and then as you walked past them towards the other end of the building we saw our first RC staff member who told us to take our luggage up to the doorway of the building. We handed it over and then walked over to the yellow building marked 107. Another staff member was there directing us into the building and upstairs for checkin. Don't worry about all the building numbers that are listed on the web page for the port as after you check in, RC transports you by bus over to the ship.

It may all sound a bit complicated but once you start walking and get to the security gaurd, it really isn't. We were dealing with extreme heat which made it rather unpleasant but they had cold water and lemonade upstairs in the check in terminal for us. Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...

I've seen posts about other cruise lines having shuttles from the ship to San Marco, does Splendour have this?

We will be sailing Aug 25, 2007 and since the ship doesn't sail until 5 pm, we thought we could check into the ship around 11:30 am and then head back out to see more of Venice before the ship sails.

We are planning to fly into Italy a week early to visit Florence and Rome before arriving in Venice. While we plan to pack light, it still would be nice to be able to drop our luggage off at the ship after we check out of our hotel and then do some last minute sightseeing.

Thanks for any info. I know it is still almost a year away, but I am just so excited I can't wait to start planning.:D

Does anyone know if there is a place at the port or any where else in Venice where we could possibly store some luggage up to a week before the cruise?

We plan to fly into Venice a week prior to the cruise and then take the train to Florence and Rome before returning to Venice. We'd like to just take our backpacks with us for Florence and Rome if we can find some place to stash our luggage.

Thanks,

If you have a party of four and are flying in to Venice, I suggest you take a land taxi stright to the ship. It will be easier on everybody, and shouldn't cost more thn 30 euros. Divided by four, that's your best bet. I adored Venice!:D

• 5 months later...
Susan-M

Great site. Thank you.

I checked it for the Golden Princess on October 5 and saw that it was in Berth 109. I went to the map and don't see Berth 109. Am I just missing it? Will someone go behind me and check? I'm not getting any smarter as I age!

I have been trying to find a Venice Port site that shows which berths the ships are scheduled for, but have not found one. Which site did you use?

I have been trying to find a Venice Port site that shows which berths the ships are scheduled for, but have not found one. Which site did you use?

Mike: The Ships Schedule is on this site, but unfortunately it's not accessible any longer without a password .... not sure why they changed it this year? http://www.vtp.it/pages/navi/crociere.jsp?m=2

If your cruise documents say that you'll be at Marittima, this map gives you a good indication of where you'll be as there are only 4 locations shown for cruise ships. http://www.vtp.it/pages/comeRaggiungerci/comeRaggiungerci02.jsp

Archived