Motion of the Ocean

I am trying to plan/persuade:( all my family members to take a cruise together and I have already booked a 9A room 7440 on the Conquest. It would be great if I could have them all booked with the ajoining balcony rooms, but some of them don't get along to well with the motion of the ocean. :eek:

Can you feel a great deal of movement on the aft rooms or should I have them book towards the middle of the ship?

Why is location important? If you are prone to seasickness, your preferred cabin location should be in the middle of the ship on a lower deck where you will feel the least motion. If you are a light sleeper or like to sleep late in the morning, avoid high traffic areas (near elevators and stairs), areas of the ship where noise could be a problem (over or beneath a show lounge or disco), and the bow of the ship (where the sound of early morning anchoring activity could disturb your slumber).

Choosing a Cabin on a Cruise Ship

from

http://cruises.about.com/od/cruiseplanning/a/choosing_cabin.htm

Gone - Midship and lower decks would be best for less motion.

About cabins near elevators ... I've only had one inside cabin on any cruise, and it backed up to an elevator. NO noise. I never heard a single elevator noise, and rarely heard any hallway traffic, so don't let that be a factor in not selecting one of those cabins. (Besides, it was VERY convenient to walk out my door, turn a corner and get on an elevator.);)

These are big ships equipped with stabilizer systems. If you cruise during calm months, you may not feel enough movement to even be worth talking about. The worst it ever got on my June 3-10 cruise on the Glory, NOBODY seemed to notice and I sure didn't hear anybody complaining.

You'll feel more rocking motion if you're on a raft in the pool, alone, and someone slowly and gently enters the pool, TRYING not to disturb you.

Chris

Some of us prone to motion sickness feel motion even when others don't. That said, it didn't matter where I was onboard, I still could feel the ship moving, even if it wasn't enough to make anyone sick. If I felt motion, I felt it no matter where I was. That's why I don't book a cabin based on location, but just take meds and book the cabin I want.

Taking Meds sounds like a good idea. Hopefully it'll work for them. This will be the first Cruise for all of my family members so they don't really know how they will feel.

Although they probably wish they could put me on some Meds:p Their all looking at me like weird because of my excitement for another Cruise:eek: . They just don't understand.....yet:D

Taking Meds sounds like a good idea. Hopefully it'll work for them. This will be the first Cruise for all of my family members so they don't really know how they will feel.

Although they probably wish they could put me on some Meds:p Their all looking at me like weird because of my excitement for another Cruise:eek: . They just don't understand.....yet:D

I'm in the same boat as you. We've convinced a family that we're good friends with to give cruising a try. One of them can't read in a car without feeling vertigo, so I'm really worried about how she'll react to being at sea.

Based on suggestions I read here, I've recommended she pick up some Bonine tablets at the supermarket, and test out how they make her "feel" before the cruise. Hopefully she won't notice any of the minor side effects that are listed, so that she'll feel comfortable just taking a nightly preemptive dose while we're on board.

We've only cruised once before, with in-laws, and it doesn't look like another cruise with them is in our future. I am SO hoping this family has a good time so that they will want to do this again!

Some people, when you say "they just don't understand ... yet", will end up coming away understanding that cruising is just not for them. So here's to hoping for calm seas, a great cruise, and friends and family that find they love cruising just as much as we do!

While we always feel the motion it luckily doesn't bother either of us. I would certainly try things like ginger as suggested in the previous post or sea bands before I went to bonine, dramamine or any other medication. My DS went on a cruise with his wife and although he was always suffering from motion sickness as a child, did just fine with the sea bands. :D

I just spoke with the family and they want their first cruise to be a good one so were going to have them booked in the middle of the ship. Thank you all for the advice and i'll have to aquire all the items to see which works best...Kirk

Archived