Need your help with Insurance Stategy

luvocean9

To be fair, it was difficult reading your initial post to figure out exactly what you were wanting to do... when you say "How can I get around pre-existing conditions?", some people may indeed take that as you were trying to get around things... perhaps if you could explain it better next time, as you did above, perhaps people would understand better. Just my thoughts.

OK, but no need to think the worst, or one could reply by asking me to clarify. It was uncalled for to assume that I was posting for help to commit fraud and God only knows where the "asking doctors to lie" came from.

Under insuremytrip, HTH trip protector preferred, states that pre exsisitng conditions are waived if purchased within 24 hour of final payment. Hope this helps. :o

Yes! Thanks a million. I checked it out and it looks like this might work for me.

You should definitely call your airline, my husband had a non refundable ticket when he was commuting between cities, one weekend we were going to go visit him but our dog had to have minor surgery and we didn't want to leave him. My husband called the airline , told them the story, and they gladly changed his airfare so he could come home that weekend. There was no charge for the change.

You probably won't lose your airfare, have you called your airlines. Most airlines will let you change your flights for a nominal fee. It doesn't hurt to ask.

I paid for one airfare, and the other used frequent flyer miles. I just called and if I cannot fly due to illness (documented by my physician), they will refund one fare and reinstate my ff miles for the other. Wow, this is great! I feel so much better. Thank you!!!!!

No, they cannot. The underwriter who wrote the MGM was well aware of the fire when they wrote the policy. The underwriter was counting on the delay between payment of the premium and payment of the claim to earn interest. Apparently the underwriter had not heard of "bad faith." The claims department however was all to aware of bad faith and promptly paid the claims. The insurance company lost money and the underwriting manager was fired.

Take a look at this link for more info on "retroactive fire insurance" ...

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9406E4DD1639F931A25751C0A967948260

They did not attempt to buy retro fire insurance, it was liability insurance.

The difference? the fire damage and need to pay was NOW. The liability insurance was predicated on deferred payments, i.e. annuities to be paid over 20 or 30 years or longer, to be offset by LARGE premiums and time to invest them.

And there is a 2 year look back in policies, its a normal protection for insurance companies. Some do little or no underwriting on some policies at issue. But when a claim is filed, they do in depth underwriting [investigating], if an uninsurable condition is found they refuse the claim and return the premiums paid.

They did not attempt to buy retro fire insurance, it was liability insurance.

The difference? the fire damage and need to pay was NOW. The liability insurance was predicated on deferred payments, i.e. annuities to be paid over 20 or 30 years or longer, to be offset by LARGE premiums and time to invest them.

And there is a 2 year look back in policies, its a normal protection for insurance companies. Some do little or no underwriting on some policies at issue. But when a claim is filed, they do in depth underwriting [investigating], if an uninsurable condition is found they refuse the claim and return the premiums paid.

It is not that simple. If the pre-existing condition is disclosed, and the insurance company accepts the risk, it cannot go back and later claim it was an uninsurable hazzard.

If you think buying retroactive liability insurance is easy, try having your car accident first, then go looking for liability insurance. The MGM application should never have been accepted, and the underwriter was justifiably fired. What you are referring to is know as post claims underwriting. An insurance company that depends on this is asking to be sued, and will get hit for a big verdict.

While the applicant has a duty to disclose everything that is material, the insurance company has an equal duty to do an underwriting investigation. An insurance company cannot accept an application for auto insurance, then after an accident claim that no coverage because of a failure to disclose a bad driving record. The insurance company has a duty to pull the driving record of all applicants. If the insurance company chooses not to, the insurer may be barred from asserting the subpar driving record as a coverage defense.

Guest YesitDonna

Wow... there are just some coldhearted people out there. This person was just looking for advice as to how to get insurance... they never said anything about going behind anybody's back to do it.

luvocean9,

I hope you are able to go. Anything to make your treatments better for you. Looking forward to a cruise will hopefully give you the strength you need to get through this. We are all here for you during this difficult time. :)

I am booked for a cruise Dec 1. We have prepaid airfare; not refundable. I have not bought insurance yet. We are booked through a travel agent.

Now I am diagnosed with cancer. However, I might still be able to make my cruise as it falls after treatment and surgery. But there is a chance that complications arise and then I can't make it.

Can you guys help me figure out a way to get insurance such that if I pay the full fare on Sept 1 and then cannot make the cruise I could get my cruise money back? How can I get around pre-existing conditions?

Thanks.

I've read the whold thread........

No flaming here, because you are asking very reasonable questions since you are so far out from final payment.

My advice: talk to your travel agent and if he/she is any good at all he/she will help you work this out. You can cancel and rebook and then take out the insurance that waives pre-existing if you book it within 14 days. Your travel agent should guide you. If he/she doesn't, either transfer your booking to another agent or cancel and rebook with another agent

Great news about your options for your air!

You are so far out that this shouldn't be a problem at all! Other posters, in my opinion, were really rude with insinuation of a fraud intent. You aren't sailing next week!!! Geesh!!!

And, FYI, I'm employed in the insurance world.

Best wishes for full recovery, and hugs to you....

Judy

Archived